ESN rubber price difference

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Aren't all rubbers produced by ESN very similar? Why should i buy a Rasanter R47 for 50€ when i can buy a DHS Gold Arc 8 for 25€? Where are the differences?

1. There are conceptional differences. The Rasanter series for example have a thinner topsheet, which allows for a thicker sponge.
2. There are generational differences. Early ESN rubbers used to have lots of catapult but not as much spin. Over the years, the emphasis would be put on more spin, with some rubbers still retaining much catapult, others not.
3. Even within the same generation, differences apply in the individual recipes.

The newer the rubbers, the higher the price is a pretty common relation.

But maybe, while being relatively new to the market, you still might be buying an older rubber - it is not guaranteed any new ESN customer opts for the newest formulas.

So much for the theory.

Practically, if you find the Gold Arc does the same for you than the Rasanter, save the money.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
I forgot to mention regional differences.

Don´t know about Austria, but I think there is no retailer for Gold Arc 8 in Germany.

It was meant for the Asian market specifically and is re-sold to other territories.

Made available officially, it would probably be more expensive (see Tin Arc 33 USD in China, 45 Euro in Germany).

says regularly shitposting
Jul 2019
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
Or processors being made in the same factory.
Or phones being made in the same factory.

X factory =/= same product with different names. The argument is silly to begin with.
Then please tell me what justifies the cost being twice as much. With phones only some components are from the same factory, while rubbers are entirely produced by the same factory. The only difference is top sheet thickness, pimple size etc.

Jul 2019
Then please tell me what justifies the cost being twice as much. With phones only some components are from the same factory, while rubbers are entirely produced by the same factory. The only difference is top sheet thickness, pimple size etc.

The fairy dust in the top sheet for more spin and the unicorn powder in the sponge for more controlled speed.

Write a polite letter to the engineers and they will tell you the secrets. Or maybe you were expecting a realistic answer with chemical and physical formulas from an enthusiast forum ?

Or maybe you need a basic economics 101 about how pricing is decided ? Idk man you make very little sense.

Reactions: phorkyas
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
oJCiztm.jpg

ESN has been ripping us off. China should start an investigation into ESN.

Anyway, Rasanter R47 and Gold Arc 8 are sold for the same price here, roughly EUR35.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
For me it's just that DHS is a chinese company and ESN an european company so the average salary is more expensive. Personally i'm not surprised that DHS is less expensive than ESN

Also i've heard that ESN use more natural rubbers in their product so it may also account for the price difference

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Personally i'm not surprised that DHS is less expensive than ESN

Also i've heard that ESN use more natural rubbers in their product so it may also account for the price difference

Interesting thought, yet Gold Arc 8 is produced by ESN for DHS, hence the question why it is cheaper than other ESN products ...

Reactions: loerting

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
You pay for the name. Three syllables and a double-digit number costs more than two measly syllables and a single-digit. Plus 8 is not lucky in western countries.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
That's why the price went up when they changed from Rasant to Rasanter. Wait until Rasanterest comes next year.

Reactions: phorkyas
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
These are all good questions. The material cost for the rubbers can't be more than a few dollars. The molds cost thousands of dollars to make but then then they can make 10s of thousands of rubbers. The rubber injection molding machines cost money too but they will last a long time. I still think the real trick is the sponge and matching the sponge and topsheet to get the right spin to speed ratio.

The operators are usually not skilled so they are getting close to minimum wage but the minimum wage in Germany is going to be a lot more than the minimum wage in China if there is one.

I posted a link to a Konrad Tieffenbacher document a while back. He mentions the coefficient of restitution was about 0.6 or 0.7 and that is back in the 1990s. I wonder how much the coefficient or restitution has improved.
Remember, there is a limit.

I agree with those that say TT players are suckers for marketing and we are getting ripped off, especially when it come to the high priced rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
It is business at the end of the day.
Yes, but it is still just marketing and not facts that sell products.

The paddle palace rates the rubbers. I know the ratings are just opinions of a few players. I know because I have been there and asked about the ratings.

My question to all is are you influenced by the paddle palace rubber ratings?
If you had accurate ratings that weren't subjective, would you be influenced by the ratings.