Road to Tokyo 2020: Chinese TT Team

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
A lot will depend on which version of Niwa shows up... if they still decide to put him out there in 2021, which I expect they will. Keep in mind that any home-field advantage (I think this is overblown) may be nullified if there are limited spectators in 2021.

My opinion is Japanese shouldn't have re-assurred same team selected for Tokyo 2020 would still be the same for delayed 2021 games, lots can happen 12 months down the track. I like the look of Uda and Hina Hayata and if still progress the rate they have been could make a case to replace existing members. I think CNT will see some potential 2020 inclusions be left out.

I'd hate to imagine a games with limited spectators. Strange concept.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
[FONT=PingFang SC, Arial, 微软雅黑, 宋体, simsun, sans-serif]Definitely a stroke of genius by LGL. Having CCTV live coverage is the envy of all sport events in China.
[/FONT]My prediction is that FZD beats LJK in the semi and then beats ML in the final. CM should beat SYS in women’s final. Curious how far FZD/CM would go. Don’t think CM is strong in double play. Enjoy watching the event as much as you can, you never know, there may not event be Olympic Games next year.;(

Australian Open I watched Chen Meng and Wang Manyu live winning doubles event knocking off strong Korean and Japanese teams. Think with right partner is serviceable.

I think CM would be singles preference for same reason I think Japanese team would have Harimoto and Mima as their singles preferences, because better singles performers and their teams have better chance of being 2-0 position due to their singles output, wouldn't make sense playing them in doubles in a team event potentially dropping a game.

Sad reality Olympics not going ahead as this virus is proving to be a handful containing and would rather money be spent on helping those impacted and vaccine rather than these events and not having games at expense of more people's heath being at risk.

Funny saying this when think Mima will be 100% XD preference

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
https://sports.sina.com.cn/others/pingpang/2020-11-12/doc-iiznezxs1410692.shtml
李隼认为,“孙颖莎能够赢下两个主要对手非常不容易,她在比赛中展现出了非常好的心理素质,她在心态的把控上比过去有很大进步,但是想要完成奥运会的任务、实现大满贯的目标,平时的训练还要再扎实一些。”
Li Sun believes, “It’s not easy for Sun Yingsha to win the two main opponents. She showed very good psychological quality in the competition. She has made great progress in the control of her mentality, but if she wants to complete the Olympic Games, to achieve the goal of Grand Slam, the usual training needs to be more solid."

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018

Li Sun believes, “It’s not easy for Sun Yingsha to win the two main opponents. She showed very good psychological quality in the competition. She has made great progress in the control of her mentality, but if she wants to complete the Olympic Games, to achieve the goal of Grand Slam, the usual training needs to be more solid."

Wells, at least senpai is regarded as a "main opponent" :D

Jan 2018
Ishikawa: Yokatta! (crying emote)
50583588041_2fdc8ff6dd_b.jpg

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
Interesting that Ishikawa is using the blue sponge hurricane on her FH, at least that's what I saw her playing with last time. It's not a very common for japanese players to play with the hurricane rubber, not that I've heard any other players using the hurricane other than the CNT players themselves.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Interesting that Ishikawa is using the blue sponge hurricane on her FH, at least that's what I saw her playing with last time. It's not a very common for japanese players to play with the hurricane rubber, not that I've heard any other players using the hurricane other than the CNT players themselves.

It's a very popular choice now among non-Chinese with the new ball. Some Japanese, like all the Korean men, some Europeans as well, to name a few.

Reactions: zeio
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019

SYS has winning records against Mima, other Chinese ladies have been owned by her. Not too many in the national team that are standing in her way. CM I think is guaranteed 1 singles spot, other one up for grabs but think short-list down to 2

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Some quick (and possibly inaccurate) summaries.

WTT中东站的常规挑战赛、球星挑战赛名单出炉。据悉,许昕将搭档孙颖莎出战混双比赛。“混双作为奥运首金,重要意义不言而喻,现在来看,混双比赛相对较少。我们这次参加混双比赛,一方面为了争取更多的奥运积分,另一方面也是为了锻炼队伍,为奥运会准备更多预案。”国乒混双组负责人马琳还表示“混双项目是这次参赛重点考察项目。也希望在夺冠的基础上,更多地检验与主要对手之间的技战术发挥。”混双作为东京奥运会乒乓球项目首金,自从正式入奥就被格外重视。

XX is gonna partner SYS for the upcoming WTT Contender series in Doha. According to Ma Lin (lead personnel for the Chinese XD team), the aim for doing so is two-fold. First is to accumulate more Olympics ranking points and second, to put the players through the test (presumably this mainly refers to SYS?). As XD has become an official Olympics event, it is necessary to come up with reserve/alternative pairings. While the goal is to clinch gold in Doha, the greater hope is for XX/SYS to have more opportunities to spar with their main opponents.

已经有8个月没有比赛的刘诗雯将在WTT中东站单打中复出。女队主教练李隼介绍说:“我们希望从这次报名开始,通过近一个月的系统训练,在卡塔尔的比赛检验刘诗雯整体恢复情况。” ​​​​

WTT Doha will mark LSW's debut after 8 months of non-competition. As Li Sun opines, they hope to ascertain the effectiveness of LSW's one-month-long, systematic training programme, and for a better gauge of the rate of her overall recovery.

在男单项目上派出许昕、于子洋和徐瑛彬参加WTT中东站,在男队主教练秦志戬看来,这次比赛就是要考验许昕,“许昕近期状态不太稳定,特别是单打。所以这次报他去参赛,希望他能用这两站比赛的单打冠军找回状态和信心。” ​​​​

On the men's side, the key objective is to put XX through the test. His form has dipped of late (presumably referring to the Mock Olympics, National Champs & ITTF Finals), especially his performance in the Singles events. It is hoped that he will regain form and confidence through winning two back-to-back Singles golds in Doha.

【混双组教练马琳、陈玘带队 队伍联系各方为参赛选手给予防疫保障】中国乒乓球队这次计划派出6人参加WTT中东站的比赛,男队主教练秦志戬解释说:“这次参赛人数不多,主要也是从奥运战略出发,结合防疫安全以及回国后还要进行14天+7天隔离等不确定因素综合考虑,最大限度地精简了团队,由混双组马琳、陈玘两位教练带队出访,侧重点不言而喻。队伍中除了许昕、刘诗雯、孙颖莎外,随队派出的几名年轻运动员与主要对手打法相近,参赛也是给年轻运动员们更多的锻炼机会。”

Due to the many procedures involved (e.g. 14 +7 days of quarantine upon returning to China) and global uncertainties brought forth by the ongoing pandemic, the CNT has decided to send a scaled-down team consisting of only 6 players. Ma Lin and Chen Qi will take point for WTT Doha. The three other players (Xu Yingbin, Yu Ziyang, Zhang Rui) who have been enrolled into the competition have playing styles that are similar to the main opponents (i.e. sparring partners). Undoubtedly, it is also a chance for these younger players to gain more experience.

So... LSW + CM for Singles & WT and SYS for XD & WT? Or perhaps SYS will be the one playing three events ~

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Thank you.
Yes, the lists have appeared ... Concerning Japan, I'm glad that Hina Hayata appeared in at least one ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Some quick (and possibly inaccurate) summaries.

XX is gonna partner SYS for the upcoming WTT Contender series in Doha. According to Ma Lin (lead personnel for the Chinese XD team), the aim for doing so is two-fold. First is to accumulate more Olympics ranking points and second, to put the players through the test (presumably this mainly refers to SYS?). As XD has become an official Olympics event, it is necessary to come up with reserve/alternative pairings. While the goal is to clinch gold in Doha, the greater hope is for XX/SYS to have more opportunities to spar with their main opponents.

WTT Doha will mark LSW's debut after 8 months of non-competition. As Li Sun opines, they hope to ascertain the effectiveness of LSW's one-month-long, systematic training programme, and for a better gauge of the rate of her overall recovery.

On the men's side, the key objective is to put XX through the test. His form has dipped of late (presumably referring to the Mock Olympics, National Champs & ITTF Finals), especially his performance in the Singles events. It is hoped that he will regain form and confidence through winning two back-to-back Singles golds in Doha.

Due to the many procedures involved (e.g. 14 +7 days of quarantine upon returning to China) and global uncertainties brought forth by the ongoing pandemic, the CNT has decided to send a scaled-down team consisting of only 6 players. Ma Lin and Chen Qi will take point for WTT Doha. The three other players (Xu Yingbin, Yu Ziyang, Zhang Rui) who have been enrolled into the competition have playing styles that are similar to the main opponents (i.e. sparring partners). Undoubtedly, it is also a chance for these younger players to gain more experience.

So... LSW + CM for Singles & WT and SYS for XD & WT? Or perhaps SYS will be the one playing three events ~

With new rankings, more appealing to have SYS Singles and Team, LSW for Team and XD

Interesting to see how LSW performs in Middle East Hub

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018

2月24日,中国乒协正式宣布,中国乒乓球队退出2月28日至3月20日在卡塔尔多哈举行的WTT中东赛事汇两站比赛。
  近期,全球多地新冠疫情有加剧趋势,卡塔尔政府公共卫生部门也已经取消或延期举办包括男篮亚洲杯预赛、体操世界杯等在内的多项赛事。中国乒协与国家队教练组经过反复研判和慎重考虑,以保护运动员安全、健康为首要原则,同时结合下一阶段的备战计划,在征得国家体育总局同意后,正式决定退出2月28日至3月20日在卡塔尔多哈举行的WTT中东赛事汇的两站比赛。
  目前距离东京奥运会比赛不满150天,对于国乒来说,严格执行每一天的备战安排都至关重要。中国乒协秘书长、国家队男队主教练秦志戬表示:“协会和教练组结合出国参赛旅行途中可能存在的疫情风险、回程没有合适航班、以及回国内后还有21-28天无法训练的隔离期等情况充分考虑,认为这将极大影响运动员训练备战和后续全运会预赛的安排。我们也充分听取了各单位和参赛运动员的意见,一致认为现阶段留在国内训练是更好的选择。”
  中国乒协在给卡塔尔乒协的致函中写到“虽然最终未能成行,但还是十分感谢WTT世界乒联和卡塔尔乒协前期对我协会和球队的帮助。衷心预祝所有赛事参与者安全、健康,比赛顺利圆满。”通过中国乒协积极、细致的沟通,国际组织和卡塔尔乒协对国乒取消参赛的决定表示尊重和充分理解。国际乒联首席执行官、WTT世界乒联董事史蒂夫•丹顿认为,目前疫情情势下各国家和地区防疫有关的旅行与隔离政策都不尽相同,非常理解中国队所做出的决定。
  谈到下一阶段的安排,秦志戬指出:“我们已经从战略上更新了计划。将利用原本卡塔尔比赛和回国隔离的这段时间,充分考虑各省市单位和运动员的意见,争取在3月底到4月初选择合适的时间,积极稳妥完成好全运会预选赛。这也是关乎各省市顺利完成全运会这项重要赛事任务的关键工作。另外,国乒也将利用好时间有针对性地组织训练,备战接下来计划在中国举行的WTT中国赛事汇。”
  据了解,国际组织计划于5月期间在中国举办3至4站高级别国际赛事,其奥运积分级别将有望与世锦赛、奥运会持平,同时还将包含东京奥运会前最后一个世界混双资格。如果计划推进顺利,中国队将可以在国内完成奥运前的备战热身赛。

Long story short, CNT is not playing in WTT Doha.