Road to Tokyo 2020: Chinese TT Team

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Mima doesn't need Kasumi for singles events at Tokyo 2020, Mima Ito will crush all non Chinese players and will play off with Chinese ladies in SF.

Kasumi is a great player but don't think will be one to take games off CNT in a team event or beat them in other SF play off for singles if she goes deep into the tournament.

JNT hopes for Gold are Mima and Tomkkazu, won't be surprised of one or both win gold against Chinese in the final then a week later CNT both men's and women's get revenge in team event final

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
For gold medal, Mima has a good chance but Harimoto is not quite there yet. 2024 maybe.

SYS just gave herself a big advantage over CM on competing for singles spot. SYS/XX won XD matches in M12. SYS played very impressively. This can free up LSW, a much needed relieve.

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
The new rankings are out. FZD reclaims #1 spot, not a surprise there. It’s more interesting on women’s side: CM and SYS retain their #1 and #2 rankings respectively but Ito is now #3. This can be a bad situation for CNT if the avoidance rule change is applicable in Tokyo 2020. So if the ranking stands and the rule change does apply and LSW is to play singles, then there is a 50% chance of two CNT players in the same half bracket and it significantly increases Ito’s chance for gold.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Why are you not convinced on Sun Yingsha, I saw her play at Australian Open live and she was amazing, flawless. I think CNT has a good problem with depth compared to JTN as it's really just Mima that's the threat as Kasumi and Hirano won't hurt the CNT.

Because as you mentioned Mima now ranked #3, LSW ranked #4, wouldn't it be best to have Mima go through a gauntlet to get to win Gold rather than an easy half of draw whilst 2 Chinese fight it off in a SF in other half. Least this way for Mima to win Gold would need to get past 2 Chinese players, instead of 50% chance would be 33%, better odds for CNT.

Only 2 players right now that have a winning record against Mima is SYS & CM, LSW not convincing, lost last 2 times to Mima. SYS has matured a lot as a player.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Why are you not convinced on Sun Yingsha, I saw her play at Australian Open live and she was amazing, flawless. I think CNT has a good problem with depth compared to JTN as it's really just Mima that's the threat as Kasumi and Hirano won't hurt the CNT.

Maybe the one whose Singles hopes are still up in the air is CM rather than SYS? Anyways out of curiosity, what does "CNT has a good problem with depth compared to JTN" mean?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Means that CNT has a more options to pick from as we are discussing and each of those players capable of winning gold. CM, SYS, LSW if selected would all be in the gold medal discussion.

JNT only real contenter for Gold is Mima, the other Japanese girls are a chance but not many people would be confident saying Kasumi will win Gold medal or Hirano will win the Gold.

Same with Mens
ML, XX, FZD if selected would all be in gold medal discussion.
JNT Harimoto only contender for Gold, we don't believe Niwa or Mizutani would win a Gold Medal

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
CM right now I think is best hopes for CNT, SYS not far off, however few months I might think different

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018

Because as you mentioned Mima now ranked #3, LSW ranked #4, wouldn't it be best to have Mima go through a gauntlet to get to win Gold rather than an easy half of draw whilst 2 Chinese fight it off in a SF in other half. Least this way for Mima to win Gold would need to get past 2 Chinese players, instead of 50% chance would be 33%, better odds for CNT.

Only 2 players right now that have a winning record against Mima is SYS & CM, LSW not convincing, lost last 2 times to Mima. SYS has matured a lot as a player.

I can hardly image the CNT would allow both CM and SYS play singles. Neither of them win any major world title. They’re not really tested in a major world stage, let alone Olympic Games. One of them will play singles and LSW the other single player.

Still not clear if the removal of avoidance rule will happen prior to or after Tokyo 2020. If it’ll happen before the games, and LSW doesn’t catch up Ito on the ranking, then CNT may have to reconsider Its decision.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
CM has won Grand Finals x3, SYS has won Platinum events, as mentioned I attend Australian Open in Geelong, SYS has been fantastic Junior winning World Championships Singles/Doubles and Junior Olympics
Cant imagine both currently being ranked #1 & #2 with no achievements to their names, can't understand your main argument. I just believe SYS has transitioned extremely well into Seniors, top 2 for sure.

There is still just over 7 months til Olympic Games, I think now til then whoever impresses the coaches from that point goes through, who knows could be 2 other Chinese ladies going no mentioned, Mima form might drop significantly too.

Last Olympics 2016

LSW ranked #1, DN #2, LXX #3
LXX qualified and coaches picked DN ahead of LSW Because LSW had lost more often to non Chinese

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
CM has won Grand Finals x3, SYS has won Platinum events, as mentioned I attend Australian Open in Geelong, SYS has been fantastic Junior winning World Championships Singles/Doubles and Junior Olympics
Cant imagine both currently being ranked #1 & #2 with no achievements to their names, can't understand your main argument. I just believe SYS has transitioned extremely well into Seniors, top 2 for sure.

There is still just over 7 months til Olympic Games, I think now til then whoever impresses the coaches from that point goes through, who knows could be 2 other Chinese ladies going no mentioned, Mima form might drop significantly too.

Last Olympics 2016

LXX qualified and coaches picked DN ahead of LSW Because LSW had lost more often to non Chinese

Interesting .. Is it possible to find out your opinion, the optimal composition of the JNT, WT on Toki0-2020?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
My opinion is China depth is great & these players usually also exceptional at doubles eg. Xu Xin why would be perfect in a team event same LSW and both together ranked #1 in XD

JNT and other national teams don't have this luxury. Personally I would love it if both Miyu Nagasaki & Miyuu Kihara where both in doubles together as right now they would take games off CNT, their chemistry is unbelievable winning Austria, Juniors and Grand Finals together.
Problems it's a team event and CNT would pick them apart in Singles.

Mimo only guarantee to play singles, team & XD, will be busy in Tokyo 2020. I'd personally prefer other singles partner be Hirano as has had more success than Ishikawa against Chinese players but on form Hirano is hit and miss so think Kasumi is 70/30 right now to be other Japanese singles player. Hirano I still think gets third position as can play doubles and would be great in singles when it comes to playing off with say Korea, Hong Kong and Chinese Taipei teams

Team event I see Kasumi as weaker doubles player so would feature more for singles games even though I think JNT prefer Mima be main singles player. Japan has good chance take out Gold in Mens/Women's singlea and Mixed event, CNT will take out Gold in team events unless a disaster happens.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Interesting .. Is it possible to find out your opinion, the optimal composition of the JNT, WT on Toki0-2020?

Thanks, very interesting....

May I have your opinion on Hina Hayata? She apparently will not be in the WTTTC, and even more so in Tokyo 2020 ...But last year, she had no less victories on Chinese players than Hirano ... (not to mention Ishikawa ..)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018

Last Olympics 2016

Maybe revisit some of the old forum topics and watch zeio's subbed videos for a more nuanced opinion of CNT's (amorphous but somewhat principled) selection criteria. Of course nobody here can completely grasp the underpinning mechanics behind the selection but the CNT's Olympics assessment rubric rolled out last year for the coaches provides some clues about which tournaments are ranked more highly than others.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Thanks, very interesting....

May I have your opinion on Hina Hayata? She apparently will not be in the WTTTC, and even more so in Tokyo 2020 ...But last year, she had no less victories on Chinese players than Hirano ... (not to mention Ishikawa ..)

I really like Hina Hayata, big part of JNT future, only thing excluding for Tokyo 2020 will be experience, only 19. But I rate her higher in singles than Miyu Nagasaki and Miyu Kato (so many Miyu's in JNT)

Will add I thought big highlight watching her and Harimoto win XD finals against Zhu Yuling & LG. Inexperienced pair defeating very experienced duo, great performance especially from Hina

2024 JNT will be more experienced and I expect be even bigger threat to CNT.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Maybe revisit some of the old forum topics and watch zeio's subbed videos for a more nuanced opinion of CNT's (amorphous but somewhat principled) selection criteria. Of course nobody here can completely grasp the underpinning mechanics behind the selection but the CNT's Olympics assessment rubric rolled out last year for the coaches provides some clues about which tournaments are ranked more highly than others.

Not disputing this at all. I notice lot of non Chinese players play in non platinum events to stay on top of rankings. Rankings alot comes down to how many tournaments you play rather than results, rankings are not always true reflection of who is better. Top Chinese players usually play less overall tournaments as not worth money and resource playing in smaller tournaments. Might find more value playing in Super League in China.

Platinum events and Grand Finals
usually all have the best players coming down, to me personally I use these events to reflect where players match up against each other. That's just me, I suppose Chinese coaches see more behind the scenes and during training sessions and develop different opinions.

Last edited: