Road to Tokyo 2020: Chinese TT Team

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
If Chen Meng is such a riskless choice, can anyone explain why she has absolutely zero major continental or world titles to her name? Because she brings her best game at those moments?

Well because we are talking about it from another perspective.
There is only 1 serious threat for the Gold Medal and that is Mima Ito.
She is the only player that can consistently beat Chinese players.
All the other women aren't that big of a threat.

So if you want to select players with the biggest chance of a medal, you would have to select who can beat Ito.

The matches between Chinese women themselves don't count at the Olympics , since you only meet non chinese now. It's not like foreigners won those Olympic,world and continental titles.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
If Chen Meng is such a riskless choice, can anyone explain why she has absolutely zero major continental or world titles to her name? Because she brings her best game at those moments?

Nonsense. She was the (now defunct) East Asian Games 2013 WS Champion!

2013101040508593.jpg

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018

20180430102821_6ecbe03ec3cdb77e59076b4883b9b4ca_1.jpeg

As LGL put it before WTTC 2019...
那,那个朱雨玲现在遇到的困难是不是有毁灭性的?

我觉得也不会。因为朱雨玲的实力在那放着,他以前的一些这种成绩我们也不会说是通过这段时间来去抹杀。其实他…这个礼拜他们之所以这次落选和陈梦这段时间,其实都是在近半年的时间里头,一个近半年时间里头,陈梦表现得更好一些。那同样在近半年里头,小朱也面临巨大的挑战。你像这个在瑞典的时候,跟那个伊藤那场比赛…决赛,以至后边的一系列比赛、乒超、12强……等等这些比赛里头,??显得……

但这个我认为,竞争是一种动态的,特别是女线上。可能在前一段时间他好点,过一段时间突然间一打开,会好一点。他必须引领一个大赛或一个周期,他才能够真正算得上领军,所以这些队员都是需要持之以恒的,特别是经过一些大赛的洗礼之后,才能够在东京奥运会上担当重任。如果没有这些,仅仅靠一些公开赛,和一些内部的这种选拔赛,那只是衡量技术实力的一个标准,而不是综合作战的一个标准。
So, is the difficulty ZYL facing now devastating?

I don't think so. Because ZYL's strength is sitting there, we will not say that some of her previous achievements were eradicated during this time. In fact, she...the reason why she was dropped from the selection and CM this week was actually in the past half year. In the past half year, CM performed better. In that same period, Little Zhu also faced huge challenges. Like back in Sweden, playing Ito in that match...the final, and the subsequent series of tournaments, CTTSL, Marvellous 12, and so on, (inaudible) seems......

But I think the competition is dynamic, especially on women's side. Maybe she was better some time ago, and after a while she suddenly got in the groove, and things would be better. She must lead a major or a cycle before she can truly be a leader, so these players need to be persistent, especially after the baptism of some major tournaments, to be able to shoulder the burden at the Tokyo Olympics. Without these, relying only on some Opens and some internal trials, it is only a standard for measuring technical strength, not a standard for integrated combat.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Well because we are talking about it from another perspective.
There is only 1 serious threat for the Gold Medal and that is Mima Ito.
She is the only player that can consistently beat Chinese players.
All the other women aren't that big of a threat.

So if you want to select players with the biggest chance of a medal, you would have to select who can beat Ito.

The matches between Chinese women themselves don't count at the Olympics , since you only meet non chinese now. It's not like foreigners won those Olympic,world and continental titles.

You aren't answering the question. Why did Chen Meng have a devastating record vs LSW and still lose to LSW in the WTTC finals? The same can be caused about Chen Meng AND Zhu Yuling and their recent records before last year's Asian Cup.

Again not saying that Chen Meng can't win vs Ito. I am a believer in her talent. But saying that when you ignore these things you are not answering the question.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
I believe Mima ITO can fight back against CHEN Meng. She has to train hard against BH low arc topspin, and find out some new serves.

and more importantly, change her attitude next time !

no doubt CHEN is a favourite to win at the moment, but i think the odds can change, Olympics are far...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
I have a message for brother Abe. How about hosting the first ever zero-speculator Olympic Games? Every events will be televised and online, including Opening and Closing ceremonies. It’ll be much more realistic to deal with athletes only with well separated villages and protected facilities.
Considering the alternatives, this seems a real good option at the moment.

Reactions: balazs1234
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
If you watched the match carefully, you should sense a touch of hopelessness for DN. She got outplayed in almost all aspects of the game. How is it possible for her to improve all of that in just a few months? Yes, there’s a risk with CM due to her lack of big tournament victories. But this risk pales in comparison to the likelihood of DN’s defeat in Mima’s hand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
She must [have] led a major [tournament] or an [Olympics] cycle before she can truly be [considered] a leader, so these players need to be persistent, especially after the baptism of some major tournaments, to be able to shoulder the burden at the Tokyo Olympics. Without these, relying only on some Opens and some internal trials, it is only a standard for measuring technical strength, not a standard for integrated combat.

5cc45de3a3104842e4aaf048.jpg

LSW: Hi CM, that's me.

In a 2017 interview, Guo Yan (DN's current national team coach but this was said in the capacity of a provincial coach), gave an honest opinion of DN's playing style.

“另一个,丁宁性格上很好接触,但球风上很多教练都不太了解。她的技术上看着并不是很先进,有些超前的技术她也驾驭不了,她有她的特点,改起来不是那么容易.”

Ding Ning has an affable personality but her style of play leaves many [coaches] befuddled. Specifically, her techniques aren't very advanced, but neither is she able to master some of these advanced techniques. This makes introducing changes to her playing style a very challenging task, but she definitely has her own strengths.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
If you watched the match carefully, you should sense a touch of hopelessness for DN. She got outplayed in almost all aspects of the game. How is it possible for her to improve all of that in just a few months? Yes, there’s a risk with CM due to her lack of big tournament victories. But this risk pales in comparison to the likelihood of DN’s defeat in Mima’s hand.

The same Ding Ning who beat Mima Ito a month prior? IT is easy to overstate the importance of one match in the scheme of things. No matter how bad a beating it is one match. The risk of losing is there with any opponent so it is not just about that.

Note that Ito was similarly hopeless when she played Wang Yidi for example. People thought the CNT had decoded her. TT is not that simple.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
The same Ding Ning who beat Mima Ito a month prior? IT is easy to overstate the importance of one match in the scheme of things. No matter how bad a beating it is one match. The risk of losing is there with any opponent so it is not just about that.

Note that Ito was similarly hopeless when she played Wang Yidi for example. People thought the CNT had decoded her. TT is not that simple.

Some days you play great, other days are crap. Pros are peeps too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018

My heart agrees with you but my head doesn’t. Just so you know, my head beats my heart most of the time when they’re are in disagreement, no pun intended:)

If MLin were DN’s coach, DN wouldn’t have played against Ito this time. If MLin were Ito’s coach, Ito wouldn’t have beaten DN this way.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
So the CNT has been training in Mecca since 3/14. They’re still hoping both Hong Kong Open and China Open would happen, which are unlikely by all indications at the moments. Ito will be #2 in April and the ranking is unlikely to change prior to the Games due to all the delayed events. That means SYS has lost one key argument for her to play singles. CM and LSW are the ones with little doubt now.

BB6D2C4E-15FB-4947-A53A-8D6485B899F7.jpg0B9AD85C-7194-45EF-A491-459692106EFA.jpg90AE769A-3271-4829-880A-168CFC66C677.jpg

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
It looks more and more likely the Olympic Games will be delayed by two years. HT, LYJ, and WCQ will benefit the most. ML, XX and Timo will not even be seen possibly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Okay. The word from IOC is that the Olympic Games will be on as scheduled.
https://www.olympic.org/news/commun...ee-ioc-regarding-the-olympic-games-tokyo-2020

We won’t see much tt tours at all prior to the Games. Good for Ito

If things continue the way they are no chance, some Countries might be improving however others not at all, I'm in Australia and feels like things are just starting, our PM said this could last us 6 months, does Tokyo really want our athletes and spectators attending?

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
If things continue the way they are no chance, some Countries might be improving however others not at all, I'm in Australia and feels like things are just starting, our PM said this could last us 6 months, does Tokyo really want our athletes and spectators attending?

I know. At this point it doesn’t look good. But I still have not given up hope yet. It seems China has got it under control. Hope within next two months world wide situation will improve to a manageable level