Road to Tokyo 2020: Chinese TT Team

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
TL;DR for CNT's women's selection criteria: 得伊藤者得天下!(Whoever gets Ito gets the world!)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
TL;DR for CNT's women's selection criteria: 得伊藤者得天下!(Whoever gets Ito gets the world!)

CriterION you mean. Just one. By superstitions, senpai (2nd player) will make it further than Ito (top player).

2012 London: Fukuhara (QF), Ishikawa (3rd/4th)
2016 Rio: Ishikawa (3rd Round), Fukuhara (3rd/4th)

Can we expect JPN ex-no.1 sister Senpai to take down CM and SYS? Or my SG's very own no.1 sister FTW 😂

LSW will cry herself to death if Ito drops out prematurely (i.e. Ito-lympics no more).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
The only thing left now that can come close to vindicating Liu is if Ito takes out both Chen and Sun to get gold, and maybe for China to lose the team Gold after Liu secures both points. But I think the scenario that Janard outlined is more likely to happen.

What's so bad about the selection made by the CNT?
Looks strong to me! We all have favourite players who missed out. I would of like to have seen Ding Ning defend her title but leading up had feeling this would happen. I bet lot of Xu Xin fans feeling short changed too.

Mixed Doubles in-auguarable event, sure not the same as Singles at Olympics but has to be motivating to LSW & XX if can take out the Gold and if can be serviceable in team event helping out in winning the Gold again.

This could be tactic used by the CNT to wear down Mima as she will be competing in 3 events compared to the other Chinese ladies who will play 2 events each. Mima will need to devote as much time training for XD & singles which schedules in first week will overlap. LSW can primarily focus on XD/doubles while CM just focus on singles play. Think this is where the reserves in WMY & WCQ will become handy for training, fit in where needed for practice.

​​​​​Its nice to compete in 3 events but might also have a disadvantage which stronger teams like CNT can exploit due to having heaps of depths. Not about anyone athlete in the team taking out most gold, it's about collecting all the Gold, if can share the duties can be massive advantage.
​​​​​
​​​​​

​​​​​
​​​​​

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018

What's so bad about the selection made by the CNT?
Looks strong to me! We all have favourite players who missed out. I would of like to have seen Ding Ning defend her title but leading up had feeling this would happen. I bet lot of Xu Xin fans feeling short changed too.

Mixed Doubles in-auguarable event, sure not the same as Singles at Olympics but has to be motivating to LSW & XX if can take out the Gold and if can be serviceable in team event helping out in winning the Gold again.

This could be tactic used by the CNT to wear down Mima as she will be competing in 3 events compared to the other Chinese ladies who will play 2 events each. Mima will need to devote as much time training for XD & singles which schedules in first week will overlap. LSW can primarily focus on XD/doubles while CM just focus on singles play. Think this is where the reserves in WMY & WCQ will become handy for training, fit in where needed for practice.

​​​​​Its nice to compete in 3 events but might also have a disadvantage which stronger teams like CNT can exploit due to having heaps of depths. Not about anyone athlete in the team taking out most gold, it's about collecting all the Gold, if can share the duties can be massive advantage.
​​​​​
​​​​​

​​​​​
​​​​​

Nobody says it's not a strong team, but the selection criteria is unevenly applied for men and women. No point elaborating since the dust has settled (but memory serves that there is one more opportunity for national associations to amend the line-up). I mainly just found the 'democratic' process as illustrated in the video accompanying the line-up announcement rather amusing. Li Sun eventually said that the coaches have already talked to LSW prior to the meeting and told her to focus her efforts on XD. In that case, why the need to consult others and initiate a vote if there are only two candidates left lol.

Jan 2018
I thought by now everyone was on the same page as to how the CNT works. The last time they mentioned the word "democratic" was back at Athens 2004. It's always been "坚持“公平、公正、公开”的选拔原则", which translates to "adhering to the selection principle of "citius, altius, fortius" 🤓:

CNT: We zone in/narrow down on the candidates AND THEN we come up with the selection criteriA 😉 that fit them to a T.

The revisions made in the final version of the selection critieriA as compared to its draft counterpart makes that "principle" crystal clear.

The revision below is clearly made for WCQ's previous misconduct.

Before
  一、选拔原则
  (三)严重违反赛风赛纪,造成恶劣影响的一票否决原则。
After
  一、选拔原则
  (三)坚持综合评估、选用公廉的原则。

The first passage below is made to account for WCQ's ranking favorably and LSW's ranking unfavorably. The second passage results in that "publicity stunt" video.

Before
  四、运动员选拔工作程序
  (二)参照世界排名且不唯世界排名的原则,结合近两年内运动员参加一系列国际国内大赛成绩,确定参加奥运会的主力运动员范围。
  (四)统筹以上因素,由教练组集体讨论后初步提出运动员参赛名单,所提名单经选拔工作领导小组讨论通过并报中国乒乓球协会主席办公会研究,经主席办公会研究通过后,最后报国家体育总局批准。
After
  四、运动员选拔
  (二)以男、女奥运单打资格排名为基本依据。根据排名前20的运动员近两年内参加国际和国内大赛成绩,以有利于完成东京奥运会参赛任务、有利于乒乓球项目可持续发展为目标,选拔大赛成绩突出、对外战绩优异、心理素质和抗压能力强的运动员参加东京奥运会。
  (四)统筹以上因素,由教练组集体讨论后提出参赛运动员建议名单,经选拔工作领导小组讨论并报中国乒乓球协会主席办公会研究通过后,报国家体育总局核准。

Last edited:
Jan 2018

CriterION you mean. Just one. By superstitions, senpai (2nd player) will make it further than Ito (top player).

2012 London: Fukuhara (QF), Ishikawa (3rd/4th)
2016 Rio: Ishikawa (3rd Round), Fukuhara (3rd/4th)

Can we expect JPN ex-no.1 sister Senpai to take down CM and SYS? Or my SG's very own no.1 sister FTW 😂

LSW will cry herself to death if Ito drops out prematurely (i.e. Ito-lympics no more).

Your questions are addressed in these funny threads on Tieba:

Is it really impossible for Ishikawa to surprise the CNT?
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7355294906

Will Shin Yubin become the pot stirrer now that she will play singles?
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7356876829

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
When it comes to Olympic selection for CNT, “公平、公正、公开”的选拔原则" is on the back burner, winning gold is everything. If you understand this, you understand the selections.

At the moment, the pandemic situation isn’t looking good. I’m deeply concerned if road to Tokyo will turn into road to nowhere.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
When it comes to Olympic selection for CNT, “公平、公正、公开”的选拔原则" is on the back burner, winning gold is everything. If you understand this, you understand the selections.

At the moment, the pandemic situation isn’t looking good. I’m deeply concerned if road to Tokyo will turn into road to nowhere.

Japanese Doctors association have called to cancel the event. I don't think it's an organisation that can simply be ignored or objected to. There is many groups whos opinions might not carry alot of weight but this isn't one of them. State of emergency plus hospitals at full capacity plus minimal percentage of the country vaccinated plus public outcry to cancel the games might mean the event will be cancelled.

I think in 30 years the new generation of law students will be writing an ethics assignment on the IOC President Bach on was holding the games worth it at expense of new uncontrollable surges domestically and globally just to make profits ignoring professional medical advice.

I believe Suga and Japan really want to cancel the event and trying the pull the IOC hand in making that decision. Don't be surpsied to see more of these medical and scientific groups in Japan come out over next few weeks, stunt by Suga to really apply the pressure on the IOC.

Bach is in the toughest situation from all IOC Presidenta before him. Decisions he makes:
1. Cripple the finances of the IOC. If Tokyo games are cancelled you can expect similar fate for Beijing winter games.
2. Impact future bidding of the event, given what has happened and countries seeing the challenges Japan is having now, who would want IOC dictating terms like these when public health is on the line?
3. Negative Public relations towards IOC
4. Lost prestige for the games. Sporting bodies really abandoning Olympic concept and creating own prestigious events. Professional athletes not taking future part & the games purely an amateur event resulting in limited public viewing

My opinion which counts for nothing. Cancel the games, cut your losses, redirect resources and money to help out those in need and combat the virus and get credability back leading by example.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018

My opinion which counts for nothing. Cancel the games, cut your losses, redirect resources and money to help out those in need and combat the virus and get credability back leading by example.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​

13923320_1444516552245010_5120106918545143030_o.jpg

DN: I will be the reigning Olympics WS Champion for 8 years!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
13923320_1444516552245010_5120106918545143030_o.jpg

DN: I will be the reigning Olympics WS Champion for 8 years!

I look forward to the Olympics every 4 years as I do the FIFA World Cup. I want to see the crowds, opening ceremonies, international fans etc however we won't be seeing crowds or international spectators so not really the same. We might not even see all the top athletes either, assuming games to go ahead.

Ding Ning such a unique player with so much charisma, watching her play live was awesome and the Chinese crowd love her, clearly a fan favourite so expect her to stay relevant in playing or coaching for extended period of time.

Last edited:
says Rozena! You complete me.
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021

I look forward to the Olympics every 4 years as I do the FIFA World Cup. I want to see the crowds, opening ceremonies, international fans etc however we won't be seeing crowds or international spectators so not really the same. We might not even see all the top athletes either, assuming games to go ahead.

Ding Ning such a unique player with so much charisma, watching her play live was awesome and the Chinese crowd love her, clearly a fan favourite so expect her to stay relevant in playing or coaching for extended period of time.

And not to mention; no one has that beautiful reverse tomohawk serve like Ding Ning. She is an awesome player and I truly hope she returns as CNT coach.

• Love
Reactions: MaLin2.0
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019

And not to mention; no one has that beautiful reverse tomohawk serve like Ding Ning. She is an awesome player and I truly hope she returns as CNT coach.

Lot of people might not know it but approach ITTF take in promoting events isn't to different to Tennis.

Ding Ning is like the Table Tennis/Chinese version of Maria Sharapova. Ma Long is like the Roger Federer of Table Tennis. Harimoto & Kasumi Ishikawa also charasmatic figures for Japan which organisers love putting up promotion posters and posting online saying.... "hey these athletes are attending, buy your tickets now".....

As popular as say LSW, CM, XX and others Chinese players are, they don't yet posses that natural charisma that ML & DN have. ML and DN just tick every box for me for promoting events. Both will return as coaches in some form for CNT.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
I thought Ho Kwan Kit and Lee Ho Ching were the HK second brother 二哥 and sister 二姐 respectively, but at least the latter competed for the WS event in Rio ~

Men's Singles: Wong Chun Ting, Lam Siu Hang
Men's Team: Wong Chun Ting, Lam Siu Hang, Ho Kwan Kit
Women's Singles:Doo Hoi Kem, Minnie Soo
Women's Team:Doo Hoi Kem, Minnie Soo, Lee Ho Ching
Mixed Doubles:Wong Chun Ting/Doo Hoi Kem

DHK can I depend on you to take out CM? 🤣 You did well against her in WTTC2019.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Second Trials to be held in Nanyang, Henan announced. 26th May to 30th May. Could potentially have more categories than just MS, WS and XD. List of participating core players remain unchanged (ML, LSW, XX, CM, FZD, SYS...).

“从模拟奥运团体赛主要对手的角度出发,双打比赛选定在马龙/许昕,樊振东/王楚钦,梁靖崑/孙闻,周启豪/林诗栋,刘诗雯/陈梦,孙颖莎/王曼昱,陈幸同/钱天一,蒯曼/石洵瑶8对选手之间进行."

The upcoming trials at the end of the month will feature Men's Doubles and Women's Doubles, albeit limited to only four pairs per gender. The pairings selected are meant to simulate the key opponents that the Chinese Olympiads will potentially face in the Team event.

MD: Ma Long/Xu Xin, Fan Zhendong/Wang Chuqin, Liang Jingkun/Sun Wen (Jeoung/Lee?), Zhou Qihao/Lin Shidong (???)
WD: Liu Shiwen/Chen Meng, Sun Yingsha/Wang Manyu, Chen Xingtong/Qian Tianyi (Ishirano? Jeon/Shin?), Kuai Man/Shi Xunyao (Choi/Shin?)

Two Olympics warm-up matches have also been announced.

16 June to 20 June 2021
7 July to 11 July 2021

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018

Two Olympics warm-up matches have also been announced.

16 June to 20 June 2021
7 July to 11 July 2021

1st warm-up match was postponed, and takes place from 20th to 23 June. It comprises only the XD and team events.

Mixed Doubles

Xu Xin/Liu Shiwen came out on top by winning everyone in the round-robin format. Specifically, they took out Lin Gaoyuan/Zhang Rui (4:2), Wang Chuqin/Wang Manyu (4:2), Zhou Qihao/Gu Yuting (4:1) and Wong Chun Ting/Doo Hoi Kem (4:1). LGY/ZR placed second, losing only to the champions while WCQ/WMY finished third after falling to the gold and silver medalists. Poor HK team, lost all of the four matches that they played in.

Men's Team

Team A(Olympics Trio): MA Long, FAN Zhendong, XU Xin
Team B: LIN Gaoyuan, LIANG Jingkun, XU Chenhao, LIN Shidong (placeholder?)
Team C: WANG Chuqin, ZHOU Qihao, FANG Bo, ZHOU Yu
Team Hong Kong: WONG Chun Ting, LAM Siu Hang, HO Kwan Kit

Format: Round-Robin, Best of 5 for each match, All 5 matches will be played, Teams B and C can send all of the players in their contingent to play different matches instead of sticking to just 3 as per regular team events

Round 1: Team A 5:0 Team HK
MA Long/XU Xin 3:1 HO Kwan Kit/LAM Siuhang ​(7,-9,4,9)
FAN Zhendong 3:2 WONG Chun Ting (-10,6,-11,11,5) –> o_O
XX 3:0 HKK (7,8,7)
FZD 3:0 LSH (5,7,5)
ML 3:1 WCT (-7,8,8,7)

Round 2: Team B 3:2 Team C
LIN Gaoyuan/LIANG Jingkun 0:3 WANG Chuqin/FANG Bo (-4,-6,-4)
XU Chenhao 2:3 ZHOU Qihao (9,8,-3,-8,-6)
LJK 3:1 ZHOU Yu (6,-8,9,8)
XCH 3:2 FB (7,4,-9,-8,10)
LGY 3:1 ZQH (9,-9,8,9)

Round 3: Team A 4:1 Team C
ML/XX 3:1 WCQ/FB(8,-9,9,6)
FZD 2:3 ZQH (10,-5,-15,6,-9) –> Oops
XX 3:0 WCQ (7,9,5) –> SEND XX FOR MS!!
ML 3:0 ZY(9,6,9)
FZD 3:1 FB (6,-10,0,2)

Round 4: Team HK 1:4 Team B
HKK/LSH 1:3 LGY/LJK(-2,10,-9,-8)
WCT 0:3 XCH(-1,-5,-6)
LSH 0:3 LJK(-12,-6,-10)
HKK 2:3 XCH(-7,-7,9,4,-8)
WCT 3:1 LGY(4,6,-7,9)–> Is this why LGY didn't even get the reserve slot?

Women's Team

Team A (Olympics Quartet...?): CHEN Meng, SUN Yingsha, LIU Shiwen, WANG Manyu (?)
Team B (Next highest-ish tier + youngsters): WANG Yidi, CHEN Xingtong, QIAN Tianyi, SHI Xunyao, KUAI Man, FAN Siqi
Team C ('Special' playing styles e.g. pips, choppers): SUN Mingyang, ZHANG Rui, GU Yuting, LIU Fei, ZHU Sibing, HE Zhuojia
Team Hong Kong: DOO Hoi Kem, Minnie SOO, LEE Ho Ching, ZHU Chengzhu

Format: Round-Robin, Best of 5 for each match, All 5 matches will be played, Teams B, C and HK can send all of the players in their contingent to play different matches

Round 1: Team A 4:1 Team C
SUN Yingsha/WANG Manyu 3:2 GU Yuting/ZHANG Rui (5,-7,-5,7,4)
CHEN Meng 3:1 LIU Fei (10,-9,8,6)
SYS 1:3 ZR (-9,-9,6,-8) –> Gogo ITO-SAN!
CM 3:0 SUN Mingyang (5,9,4)
WMY 3:1 HE Zhuojia (-17,3,6,8)

Round 2: Team HK 0:5 Team B
LEE Ho Ching/Minni SOO 0:3 CHEN Xingtong/QIAN Tianyi (-2,-6,-5)
ZHU Chengzhu 0:3 WANG Yidi (-7,-13,-6)
MS 0:3 CXT (-9,-5,-8)
LHC 0:3 WYD (-6,-7,-6)
ZCZ 1:3 QTY (-3,7,-4,-8)

Round 3: Team A 5:0 Team HK
CHEN Meng/LIU Shiwen 3:0 LEE Ho Ching/Minnie SOO (2,3,3)–> bloodbath???
SUN Yingsha 3:1 DOO Hoi Kem(-10,4,8,2)
LSW 3:0 MS(6,5,4)
SYS 3:0 LHC(3,10,4)
CM 3:0 DHK(9,7,5)

Round 4: Team B 2:3 Team C
SHI Xunyao/KUAI Man 1:3 SUN Mingyang/HE Zhuojia (-9,-9,9,-11)
FAN Siqi 3:0 LIU Fei(8,3,3)–> o_O
SXY 0:3 HZJ(-8,-7,-7)
KM 3:0 LF(5,7,7)–> o_O
FSQ 2:3 SMY(7,-3,-3,8,-7)