Road to Tokyo 2020: Chinese TT Team

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018

While I wouldn't occlude that possibility, I also think that it must be a 'strategy' that has been approved or instructed by the higher-ups. She was suspended by Kong Ling Hui previously under the allegation of "avoidance of matches out of fear" so it's unlikely that she would risk her Olympics chances by repeating the 'same offence', at least not on her own. Lol ~

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Looking only at 2019 (from SYS perspective and most recent), she only lost once compared to the others, and only to Ito!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Asian Cup is coming. There’ll be likely a LSW vs Ito showdown that makes an otherwise mundane tournament a much anticipated event. The pressure is on LSW’s shoulders. If she wins, she’ll be THE one to play singles. But a loss would put the whole selection process on women side into chaos.

If Mima has a preference of 2 Chinese ladies she doesn't want to be in main singles draw at Tokyo 2020, who do you think they would be?

My opinion is she would rather they select LSW and pray CNT select ZYL, only reason due to recent success.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
If Mima has a preference of 2 Chinese ladies she doesn't want to be in main singles draw at Tokyo 2020, who do you think they would be?

My opinion is she would rather they select LSW and pray CNT select ZYL, only reason due to recent success.

Of course she’d rather play against LSW than CM or SYS. For LSW in the coming Asian Cup, the cloud over her head thickens as the following scenarios go:
1. LSW beats Ito in the final. The cloud is lifted. LSW is on her way to play singles in Tokyo.
2. LSW beats ZYL in the final who beats Ito in the semi. The cloud is still there. Not much would change.
3. ZYL beats LSW in the semi and meets Ito in the final. The cloud thickens. Fans and coaches other than MaLin all think another attempt to avoid defeat is tried, fair or not.
4. LSW gets beaten by Ito in the final. The cloud turns into pouring rain. LGL and his company start to experience sleepless nights.

Reactions: MaLin2.0
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Of course she’d rather play against LSW than CM or SYS. For LSW in the coming Asian Cup, the cloud over her head thickens as the following scenarios go:
1. LSW beats Ito in the final. The cloud is lifted. LSW is on her way to play singles in Tokyo.
2. LSW beats ZYL in the final who beats Ito in the semi. The cloud is still there. Not much would change.
3. ZYL beats LSW in the semi and meets Ito in the final. The cloud thickens. Fans and coaches other than MaLin all think another attempt to avoid defeat is tried, fair or not.
4. LSW gets beaten by Ito in the final. The cloud turns into pouring rain. LGL and his company start to experience sleepless nights.

Isn't that a good thing then?
Make sure have 2 best go in, if any doubts not pick them. Have players convince the coaches.

4 players will play off anyway to qualify for singles, Ma Long qualified for men's and LXX qualified for ladies for Rio games, so technically players need really find form for qualifyers to win a spot in singles, thoughts?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
Looks like Asian Cup will be postponed. The sports bureau has cancelled all events up to April due to corona virus outbreak. Not sure fans would ever get a chance to see LSW-Ito duel prior to the Olympic Games.
The CNT just ended its post military training training and is heading out to Germany on Sunday. LSW, CM, XX, and FZD all got special one-on-one sessions with LGL. Seems CM has better chance playing singles than SYS at this point.
2ABBE8CF-544E-4FBE-8EB7-82858A021312.jpg

3A6D4332-57F5-487F-B210-89EE3DC6BC5D.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Looks like Asian Cup will be postponed. The sports bureau has cancelled all events up to April due to corona virus outbreak. Not sure fans would ever get a chance to see LSW-Ito duel prior to the Olympic Games.
The CNT just ended its post military training training and is heading out to Germany on Sunday. LSW, CM, XX, and FZD all got special one-on-one sessions with LGL. Seems CM has better chance playing singles than SYS at this point.
View attachment 20630

View attachment 20631

Shame Asian Cup postponed but suppose we still have few Platinum events in Germany & Qatar that can play in the interim.

Guess you feel LSW still needs be tested against Mima

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
Well, it’s official, Asian Cup will be postponed. Also the plan for CNT is to return to Hainan after German Open for a month of closed door training before heading out to Korea for WTTC. Looks like they’re going to stay abroad for training and attending tours for a while. It makes all the sense considering the current situation back home. Hope things get well soon.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
Well, German Open is not over yet. But so far WCQ has definitely strengthened his position as fourth player due LJK’s loss to a lesser foreign player and LGY’s not-so-flattering performance. CM played poorly and that will not help when it comes to competing for the second singles spot against SYS who has played reasonably well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
According to the prospectus for the 2020 Asian Olympic Qualification Tournament (Singles), it states that "7.8 Players of the same NOC shall be separated in different groups during Stage 1 (if applicable) and in different halves (if possible) in the knock-out stage." Thoughts? Seems likely that separation by association will still apply to Tokyo Olympics?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Theoretically, Mima Ito has a chance in the July ITTF rating to become nr.2 ....But this is a very small chance ...
I'm interested - C.M. has such a high current rating that in the July ITTF rating can be, if not the first, then the second ....
Has it already been decided that CM will be on the team?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Has it already been decided that CM will be on the team?

I think it really depends on how Ito performs for the next few months. If every top Chinese woman can beat her with relative ease, then tradition will likely prevail and CM will be excluded. I mean, the only bargaining chip CM really has is her 100% winning record against Ito to date.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Basically, the CNT can ... hmm ... without any problems, to secure first place in the ITTF ranking for the SYS before the Olympics ....:eek:.... But for the LSW ...... I have doubts ....:(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
I think it really depends on how Ito performs for the next few months. If every top Chinese woman can beat her with relative ease, then tradition will likely prevail and CM will be excluded. I mean, the only bargaining chip CM really has is her 100% winning record against Ito to date.

Mima seems to be really on against Chinese ladies, DN beat her comfortably last week.

Zhu Yuling is a strange case as been struggling against Mima but a real bogie for her own teammates, Liu Shiwen and in recent times Chen Meng....

Sun Yingsha had really disappointing German Open, especially in both doubles and XD against Japanese teams, so feel needa big few months if she is to be on the team. I feel she also matches up well against Mima, but so do others.

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
My opinion is that Mima Ito has quite a good chance of staying in 3rd - 4th place in the July ITTF rating .. And no.3 or no.4 - there is practically no difference for seeding ....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018

Yes ... wait ...
Although, for example, the March ITTF rating for the WS Top 6 determined ....All six remain in their places (including Ito, regardless of the result in Hungary Open - 14720min, 15080max) ....
And hereinafter ... Deductions of old bonuses for March 2019 (SYS and LSW), replacing the results of WTTTC .(ITO,LSW)...

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
According to the prospectus for the 2020 Asian Olympic Qualification Tournament (Singles), it states that "7.8 Players of the same NOC shall be separated in different groups during Stage 1 (if applicable) and in different halves (if possible) in the knock-out stage." Thoughts? Seems likely that separation by association will still apply to Tokyo Olympics?

What would happen to rule 4.5.2.3. in that case? What's the point of passing the proposition just to backtrack later?

NancyGif-1.gif