Road to Tokyo 2020: Chinese TT Team

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
According to the prospectus for the 2020 Asian Olympic Qualification Tournament (Singles), it states that "7.8 Players of the same NOC shall be separated in different groups during Stage 1 (if applicable) and in different halves (if possible) in the knock-out stage." Thoughts? Seems likely that separation by association will still apply to Tokyo Olympics?

If you read the ITTF handbook, no. I think qualification is a different story and for obvious reasons (getting into the Olympics is a big deal and you don't want to be eliminated early by your countrymen especially since there are only 2 spots).

We reviewed the handbook at mytabletennis recently and packable pointed out the changes that seem to say the agyer the preliminary rounds, there is no more separation by association. Mima Ito has thrown a wrench into the CNT operations that they have 5 months to fix.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
If she enters the top 2, that will be really funny

Unfortunately, this is probably rather purely theoretical, probably ....
CNT - team interests always put above personal ....
Make major changes to WS TOP-6 in the direction required for CWT. for the remaining three months (March does not count) - for CWT it is not difficult ....:eek:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
I'll just copy and paste what I posted in mytabletennis.net regarding my findings on the question of whether the Olympics will have separation by association for the benefit of the TTD community.

The addition of this section in the 2019 ITTF Handbook, which applies to the Olympic Games, was only a recent amendment done during the Board of Directors meeting during the 2019 World Table Tennis Championships. It was actually Proposition 21 on the Board of Directors meeting agenda:

Olympic Competition
"4.5.2.3. Players of the same Association shall be separated according to 3.6.3.1 and 3.6.3.3 3.6.3.4 and 3.6.3.5 only in preliminary rounds but not in further rounds."

In the document, this was cited as the rationale for the amendment:
"Rationale: The ITTF World Ranking should be the main criteria for Olympic Draws."

See page 6 of this document under proposition 21: https://www.ittf.com/wpcontent/uploads/2019/03/Propositions_and_Resolutions_to_2019_BoD.pdf

I don't have a definite answer yet on whether the amendment to the ITTF handbook means that the upcoming 2020 Olympics has abolished the separation by association rule, and we should wait for a clarification from ITTF. However, if the rationale for the amendment was to make the Olympic draws mainly based on ITTF World Ranking, then it makes sense to do away with separation by association for the Olympic Games.

Maybe one can also compare and contrast the 2018 ITTF Handbook and the 2019 ITTF Handbook, particularly with regard to the amendments to the "Seeding by Association Nomination" section and the "Olympic Competitions" section. The new amendments are highlighted in yellow in the 2019 ITTF Handbook. I'll provide the links to the handbooks here:
2019 ITTF Handbook: https://www.ittf.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/2019ITTFHandbook_v2.pdf
2018 ITTF Handbook: http://tabletennisscotland.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/2018ITTFHandbook_v2.pdf_0.pdf

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
If you read the ITTF handbook, no. I think qualification is a different story and for obvious reasons (getting into the Olympics is a big deal and you don't want to be eliminated early by your countrymen especially since there are only 2 spots).

We reviewed the handbook at mytabletennis recently and packable pointed out the changes that seem to say the agyer the preliminary rounds, there is no more separation by association. Mima Ito has thrown a wrench into the CNT operations that they have 5 months to fix.

Yeah, the same discussion happened on TTD not so long ago too. I just find it odd that such a consideration will be extended to qualifications but not the actual tournament since this reasoning of "you don't want to be eliminated early by your countrymen especially since there are only 2 spots" can apply to both, especially considering the number of Singles slots for each NOC has already been reduced. Then again, all these revisions do cohere with the broader move towards 'internationalising' the sport, so the official Olympics handbook (when it is out) will likely not denote otherwise unless it was meant to be introduced only for 2024.

CNT - team interests always put above personal ....
Make major changes to WS TOP-6 in the direction required for CWT. for the remaining three months (March does not count) - for CWT it is not difficult ....:eek:

As mentioned previously, all's still possible.

(I know I've said that I'm not going to Tokyo but...!)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yeah, the same discussion happened on TTD not so long ago too. I just find it odd that such a consideration will be extended to qualifications but not the actual tournament since this reasoning of "you don't want to be eliminated early by your countrymen especially since there are only 2 spots" can apply to both, especially considering the number of Singles slots for each NOC has already been reduced. Then again, all these revisions do cohere with the broader move towards 'internationalising' the sport, so the official Olympics handbook (when it is out) will likely not denote otherwise unless it was meant to be introduced only for 2024.

As mentioned previously, all's still possible.

(I know I've said that I'm not going to Tokyo but...!)
Eliminated from qualification is a bit different from elimination from the tournament especially when the tournament is based almost strictly on seeding. I do see your point but I think they just wanted to get rid of the incentive not to play players and not to send the top seeded players.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
That separation rule is going to be removed. The question is when? My hunch tells me it’s not going to happen in the coming Tokyo 2020. And CNT will do whatever it can to keep it that way.
Now that German Open is over and dust settled, what’re the dynamics of Olympic selection now? Well, we got a Gang of Four on men’s side now: ML, FZD, XX, and WCQ. Both LJK and LGY failed to take advantage of this opportunity and did little to impress LGL. WCQ turns out to be a winner even though he was not even there. XX shined but at this point I still think ML and FZD will play singles. Women’s side got a little muddier. CM earned herself more credit to play singles. DN pretty much solidified her spot on the team. Not sure what’s going on with LSW’s state, seems her injuries come back to hurt her.
Cant wait for the Qatar Open.

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
That separation rule is going to be removed. The question is when? My hunch tells me it’s not going to happen in the coming Tokyo 2020. And CNT will do whatever it can to keep it that way.
Now that German Open is over and dust settled, what’re the dynamics of Olympic selection now? Well, we got a Gang of Four on men’s side now: ML, FZD, XX, and WCQ. Both LJK and LGY failed to take advantage of this opportunity and did little to impress LGL. WCQ turns out to be a winner even though he was not even there. XX shined but at this point I still think ML and FZD will play singles. Women’s side got a little muddier. CM earned herself more credit to play singles. DN pretty much solidified her spot on the team. Not sure what’s going on with LSW’s state, seems her injuries come back to hurt her.

If I understand correctly, does China practically ignore ITTF ratings in the selection (unlike, for example, Japan)?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
If I understand correctly, does China practically ignore ITTF ratings in the selection (unlike, for example, Japan)?
Only what the Top officials think is best for China to gain Gold. LSW was ITTF ranked #1 from Nov 2015-Sept 2016 (11 months straight), but didn’t get chosen for WS Singles for Rio 2016. ITTF rankings or World Tours results don’t mean very much to China.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Not sure what you mean. The separation rule has been removed for the Olympics. It is only for preliminary rounds. Which likely means that if you are seeded into a later round, and I think in Olympic singles, the very top seeds only start playing in round 3, ITTF wants the seeding to determine the draw. Which means that if China doesn't have the top 2 seeds enter (it sends at least one player ranked below Ito) then there is a real risk of having its players meet in the Semis.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Sorri....Offtop..

Spanish Open..
Yura Shinohara...My opinion is that the girl may have a great future ...Perhaps no less than Hirano or Ito ....:eek:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Not sure what you mean. The separation rule has been removed for the Olympics. It is only for preliminary rounds. Which likely means that if you are seeded into a later round, and I think in Olympic singles, the very top seeds only start playing in round 3, ITTF wants the seeding to determine the draw. Which means that if China doesn't have the top 2 seeds enter (it sends at least one player ranked below Ito) then there is a real risk of having its players meet in the Semis.

This can only benefit CM & SYS

Reactions: Free bird
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
This can only benefit CM & SYS
Maybe but there are other possibilities. Maybe CM and SYS are not allowed to play as much so that DN and LSW get the points required. Or they send more players to every tournament Ito enters in an attempt to eliminate her at as early a round as possible. The real question is how far in advance China needs to specify a team since it is already qualified.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
So it's if CNT ranked say 1 & 3 they can still only meet in the final?

No. Only the top 2 players are guaranteed to not meet until the final if they meet at all. But top 2 could be any Chinese players without a foreigner above them. So there is still time for players to get into the top 2 if they aren't there now. I suspect that China will try to get LSW into Asian Cup for example and if they can get Zhu Yuling out, they might as well.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
CNT got their continental quota at the ATTC last year and the deadline for that is May 15, so roughly 3 months left to decide if they'll be able to raise LSW's and DN's ranking by July, which will be used for seeding.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
CNT got their continental quota at the ATTC last year and the deadline for that is May 15, so roughly 3 months left to decide if they'll be able to raise LSW's and DN's ranking by July, which will be used for seeding.

Prior to Tokyo 2020 - four "platinum" ITTF tours ...(if there is no cancellation China Open ..)
When calculating the rating, the unconditional deductions of old bonuses should be taken into account:
(Of course, with the replacement received at future tournaments or from the reserve ..)

C.M. - (-2250/5-2019, -1465/6-2019)
S.Y.S. - (-1465/3-2019, -2250/6-2019)
ITO - (-2000/4-2018WTTTC , -1465/5-2019, -1440/6-2019)
L.S.W. - (-1800/3-2019, -1500/4-2018WTTTC , -1800/6-2019)
W.M.Y. - (-2250/3-2019, -1800/5-2019, -1125/6-2019)
D.N. - (-1500/3-2019, -1750/4-2018WTTTC )

Liú Guóliáng - has something to think about ...

Reactions: Free bird and zeio
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
The rule change is in the proposition alright but it’s not at all clear whether the change would take effect in Tokyo 2020 or later. You bet CNT will fight for keeping the change off the coming Olympic.
Let’s assume the change will apply to the coming Games. Then CNT is in a difficult conundrum if the current rankings stand: picking LSW to play singles means there’s a 50-50 chance of two CNT fighting each other for the final against Ito. This is the risk too difficult for CNT to swallow. You would see lots of juggling for points from this point on. LSW will probably not likely to lose to any of the CNT players and there’ll be plenty of CNT players going through qualifying round and trying to stop Ito as early as possible. LSW playing single will be in danger if she can’t catch up Ito.
CNT is already in Qatar now training for the coming Qatar Open in early March. From there they will be heading to Korea for the WTTC. Poor guys just can’t go in and out of China at will due to the coronavirus pandemic. Hope things will get better soon.

Reactions: Vlad Celler