Donic Ovtcharov No. 1 review (non-senso)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
This is a decent, average, gets-the-job-done kind of inner-fibre blade.

Previously I had been playing with all-round+/off- 5 ply wood blades for several seasons. At the end, I was happy with the controlling game I have developed, but found myself struggling to apply and maintain pressure when playing against players above my level. Video review of the Dimitrj blade attracted my attention (especially when I was already admiring his mighty backhand). I bought this cheaper version, the non-sen version.

After several sessions, there are pros and cons about this version. I like how the ALC only comes into play when I hit/loop hard. The hardness of the ALC really provides me with a good level of hardness/support/stability when I attack with my backhand close to table. It also helps me to fight back from mid/far table when need to. It really makes it rewarding to put in extra effort and rip into the ball. Additionally, due to its Limba outer layer, it soft enough to allow good feel and decent placement.

Here comes the Con. While everything else seems good (including price), the overall feel just doesn't scream "quality". It does not feel very robust, it does not feel very "focused". A local grade A level player tried it and said it felt somewhat "hallow" to him. He suggested the wood quality, especially that of core ply is to blame.

So here is verdict from me. Do I like it? Yes, but only as a stepping stone. That is why I said it is a decent, get-the-job-done kind of blade. For its price point, I cannot really blame Donic. Several months down the track I will probably either get the Senso version, hoping for better quality wood, or just look at other brands and makes. If you are stepping up from all wood blades, just want to get a taste of inner fibre blades, and do not want to slash out, then this could be a fun blade to play with. If you know you want to commit to an inner fibre blade, then either get the Senso version, or look into other brands and makes.

Additional notes: In the past I had played with blades like Violin and Acoustics. So some could argue that I was too used to high quality wood, which puts this blade at an unfair position. After all, this blade is priced accordingly.

IMG_6797.jpg

Last edited: