Weird spin on Hurricane 3

That's a fundamentally different conception of brushing contact to how you use a H3 rubber.

Both of your drive and spinny loop are based on hitting through the ball, the tangential component of contact provides the spin, and the axial component provides the speed. You hit through it more with the drive, and less with the spinny loop

With the H3, don't think of it as your stroke going through the ball, it's a closed blade stroke OVER the ball.

Because you are brushing forward over the ball, the tangential component provides both the speed AND the spin. (realistically there is still a little bit of hitting through the ball, but not a lot)

This is a better explanation than mine but yeah, the brushing motion is emphasized on the stroke for h3 and not hitting more through the slonge unless in very strong shots.

This user has no status.
The idea that anyone on this thread thinks they can answer the OP's question without seeing footage of what he is actually doing when he loops is entertaining.

Anyone who thinks they can answer is really guessing.

Show footage and we will instantly know which of the 100s of things it could be that are causing you to question the rubber. Without footage this discussion is kind of pointless.

See if you can make a video of yourself looping. It should not need to be more than 15-30 seconds long. All we would need is to see a few loops.

I completely agree !!!
This discussion is useless !!!
The loop has many variations and therefore many different rotations.
Chinese rubbers are definitely very rotating !!!

Hi all,

I've been playing with a Hurricane 3 orange sponge for about 2 months now and a few people have observed that my forehand loops were not as spinny as they thought it would be, and the ball ended up going into the net instead of popping up... I am totally confused by this because i thought this would be a spinny kind of rubber. When i loop i tend to open the racket angle more than the average player and try to spin the ball more, which makes me think that it should be more spinny. That is the reason why i thought i'd try out this rubber.

Has anyone got told this or can explain what is happening? I have DHS hurricane 3 (orange sponge) on FH and Hurricane neo on BH with Michael Maze blade.

Thanks

Hit harder, open blade more, use faster blade, and if your really really desperate, don't topsin as much. It is a spinny rubber, and thats why its going into the net.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
I don't see anything wrong with your moves. Keep on doing what you do and try to work a bit more on your timing. Let the people complain about blocking your balls into the net and take it as a bonus. Even the big names often put the ball in the net when playing against H3

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Many of the shots are direct contact not spin contact. On the shots with spin contact, the spin looks good. When the contact is flat, the spin is flat. You can hear the flat contact ones where you hear that harsher wood sound as though you are slapping the ball instead of brushing it.

Nothing wrong with that. But with that kind of contact, you are not going to create much spin regardless of what rubber you are using.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobpuls
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
I’ve been using H3 for some time now. It does tend to have a different trajectory/spin relationship than some rubbers which can through opponents off. Sometimes an opponent will underestimate the spin and block long, other times overestimate spin and block into the net.

Watching this video, it’s tough to make a good determination about your spin capability because your opponent returns high quite a bit. You keep your body high and as a result, hit the ball more on top and produce a faster shot with less spin (toward the direction of a smash). This is fine when you’re receiving high shots.

I remember when I first switched to H3 a buddy asking me “are you going for less spin?” I thought that by default, using Hurricane was gonna make my shots more spinny. Hurricane can make very fast low-spin shots (more like a smash) and it can make slow, super spinny loops and just about everything in between. The key is knowing how to produce these variations while still activating your body and hitting a quality shot.

I can see from the video you are able to use the first shot. Are you also able to loop pushes hit low to your forehand? That’s a good test of your spin capability, so if you can do that you can spin just fine. If not, practice that for a while. There are plenty of tutorials for this on youtube.

So think about the two basic ways of hitting topspin shots. Starting from a high position coming more over the top of the ball, creating more speed and less spin (as you do in the video). And starting lower and coming more up the back of the ball to create more spin with less speed (as against heavy backspin). These can vary a bit depending on how much you brush vs hit the ball.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
You miss the contact quite a fair amount and tend to offset that by power & wrist adjustmentS (We all do that without learning). (Hitting the ball and getting the point doesn’t mean you get the contact point / timing right). That will take quite a long time to focus on.

I wouldn’t even think about H3 or Whatever. Nothing to do with the rubbers.

(I picked H3 for a very simple reason. It’s the most popular rubber on the planet. And that’s enough :) )

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Your contact seems fine. Though most of the harder shots were more smashes than actual loops because a farely sustantial number of rallies were played above net level at point of contact, so it's not very telling of anything.

The few shots played from at, or below net level on the forehand, you did play more as a slow loop (with the angle of your swing going very high). There is nothing wrong with this, it is a valid option. But that might actually be something that a eurojap rubber is better at. You can play the same shot but press foward into the ball more to get the same spin, but more speed.

The way you play the loop from a lower point of contact is maybe not playing to the strength of the H3. There isn't anything particularly wrong with your actual shots per se, you played it with the correct amount of power, and it landed, but it's a shot that scales poorly with more power.

You essentially had to hold back on power/speed to control the length of the ball, you did not hit the ball as hard as you reasonably could have, because if you did the ball would not have had enough time for gravity/curve to work on the ball and for it to still land on the table. If you had played the same shot but with a faster swing, the ball would have gone sailing into the air way past the end of the table.

Again, what you did was fine, you have good feeling for the ball, so you hit it with the correct amount of power for it to still land, and it was offensive enough of a shot to usually win you the point. But the strength of the H3 rubbers are that they allow you to instead play the shot brushing foward (the trajectory of your stroke would instead be nearly parellel to the table, with only a slight upward incline), this allows you to play the shot pretty much as hard as you like with barely any adjustment of blade angle.

I can now see why the other people say there isn't as much spin on your loops. Any gains of extra spin from the H3 is being limited by you having to limit the power of your shot due to the upward trajectory of your stroke. And for strokes played from above the net, they were really more of a smash. Hurricane rubbers genuinely do generate less spin on that sort of smash drive stroke than eurojap rubbers.

Brilliantly explained, thanks.