Understanding the terminology.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I've been reading bits and pieces on various TT sites over the last couple of years and often find myself not being totally sure I understand some of the terminology.
Some are obvious and I think I get most of the meanings but then I read a review on something and I'm not too sure.

So could someone please define the following terms.

Loop

Drive

Smash

Flat hitting

Bounce (with regard to rubbers)

thank you

Reactions: BlueSkies
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Layman's terms: take the relationship between your knees and the ground as an example:

Loop - Scrape your knees on the floor. Pure tangential force.

Drive - Drop your knees on the floor while running forward. Tangential + direct forece.

Smash - Jump as high as you can and land on your knees. Pure direct force.

Flat hitting - Drop your knees on the floor without jumping too much. Pure direct force.

Bounce (with regard to rubbers) - How much your knees hurt after performing each of the above. The magnitude of force.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Loop : It's the same as a topspin shot. It means an attacking shot where you brush the ball

Drive : It's a hit (so no brush, just flat contact) with medium force. In general : a passive weak hit is called a block, a medium controlled hit is a drive and a hard hit is a smash

Smash : So it's a hard hit

Flat hitting : It's not really a skill per say, it's just the fact to hit the ball without brushing. And again inside this category you have the block, the drive, the smash

Bounce (with regard to rubbers) : It's just the rebound of the ball on your bat

Also we often use the following categories to describe the loop :
* the loop drive : A loop (so topspin, with brush contact) that have a forward trajectory and medium pace. It's often this one you use when you warm up
* the 'loop kill' that is a kind of loop smash where you still brush the ball but try to finish the point by having a lot of forward component into your shot
* The spinny loop : It's a loop where you have a lot of spin but not a lot of speed. It's often used on a backspin ball

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
I've been reading bits and pieces on various TT sites over the last couple of years and often find myself not being totally sure I understand some of the terminology.
Some are obvious and I think I get most of the meanings but then I read a review on something and I'm not too sure.

So could someone please define the following terms.

Loop

Drive

Smash

Flat hitting

Bounce (with regard to rubbers)

thank you

Glossary of table tennis terms

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Greg, we gotta get you to make at least one moar post... say...is that J.O Waldner over there?

Doesn't he have to go to the Board Meeting?

Maybe you make another comedy vid about the crazy ways we use everyday words in table tennis that if ordinary people overheard us, they would really thing wrong things.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Yeah, I haven't done a video for quite a while - I'm not sure the USA board situation is a comedy - more a tragedy by the looks of it!

I do like your idea for the crazy tt words in conversation - I'll let it percolate for a while and see if inspiration hits. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Loop : It's the same as a topspin shot. It means an attacking shot where you brush the ball

Loop is slower but more spinny compared to a topspin. Topspin =loop drive

Drive : It's a hit (so no brush, just flat contact) with medium force. In general : a passive weak hit is called a block, a medium controlled hit is a drive and a hard hit is a smash

And it's the first technique you learn :)

Smash : So it's a hard hit

More associated with hard flat hit against the lob imho

And after those don't forget about strawberries, snakes and other crazy Adam Bobrow terminology....