How does new RC-Rating compare to USATT

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
As you know, a few months ago ratingscentral changed its algorithm. I want to know how RC-Points compare to USATT-Ratings now. If I remember it correctly some time ago it was estimated to be USATT ≈ RC + 400.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Two friends of mine. Usatt 1919 and 1940. RC. 1356 and 1164. Both have played multiple times since the change.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Two friends of mine. Usatt 1919 and 1940. RC. 1356 and 1164. Both have played multiple times since the change.
Not much change for most people.
I just learned about the RC ratings change here. I went to the RC website and read about the changes in the distribution and mean but I didn't see a justification for the changes except to see the mean increasing over time. I understood the previous version. It will take some study to understand the differences.

The RC system is not a zero sum rating system like the USATT rating system. The USATT rating system has fudge factors that it uses to accelerate ratings of new players. This tends to increase the overall ratings of the USATT ratings system. Until now, the RC system didn't artificially increase ratings.

BTW, I thought the RC system was practically perfect because it didn't artificially accelerate ratings. I understood the math. The problem with the RC rating system is that most directors didn't implement it correctly. New players were supposed to have an initial rating of 1400 with a standard deviation of 400. This rating doesn't mean much because that meant there was a 65% chance the player should have a real rating between 1000 and 1800. If you know statistics and Gaussian distribution you know that is a very flat bell curve so the chances a beginners rating was anything was much less that 1%. As games are played the new players standard deviation will decrease but the large standard deviation means the mean rating of the player will change rapidly.

However, when I played in our local league I was assigned a rating of the average of table 4. The lowest table. I won table 4 3 times in a row but because I was assign a low rating to begin with, I was deemed not good enough to play on table 3. I couldn't win enough points off the people on table 4 to get to table 3.
This p!$$ed me off. I was asked to fill in for a player on table 2 and held his spot. I was better than table 3 or 4 but I didn't get credit for the wins. This p!$$ed me off some more. The short story is that much is determined by the director. I know the directors were volunteers but this was incompetence.

Anyway I stopped playing in league play. I practice with players that played on table 1 now. Yes, he is a little better than me most of the time but not by much.

My first coach would not play in local RC events because he had a rating that was 400 points higher than the best in the local area. There was nothing to be gained.

If this is SPTTC Vince64, do you use RC in your weekly SPTTC league play? I watch the SPTTC videos.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Not much change for most people.
I just learned about the RC ratings change here. I went to the RC website and read about the changes in the distribution and mean but I didn't see a justification for the changes except to see the mean increasing over time. I understood the previous version. It will take some study to understand the differences.

The RC system is not a zero sum rating system like the USATT rating system. The USATT rating system has fudge factors that it uses to accelerate ratings of new players. This tends to increase the overall ratings of the USATT ratings system. Until now, the RC system didn't artificially increase ratings.

BTW, I thought the RC system was practically perfect because it didn't artificially accelerate ratings. I understood the math. The problem with the RC rating system is that most directors didn't implement it correctly. New players were supposed to have an initial rating of 1400 with a standard deviation of 400. This rating doesn't mean much because that meant there was a 65% chance the player should have a real rating between 1000 and 1800. If you know statistics and Gaussian distribution you know that is a very flat bell curve so the chances a beginners rating was anything was much less that 1%. As games are played the new players standard deviation will decrease but the large standard deviation means the mean rating of the player will change rapidly.

However, when I played in our local league I was assigned a rating of the average of table 4. The lowest table. I won table 4 3 times in a row but because I was assign a low rating to begin with, I was deemed not good enough to play on table 3. I couldn't win enough points off the people on table 4 to get to table 3.
This p!$$ed me off. I was asked to fill in for a player on table 2 and held his spot. I was better than table 3 or 4 but I didn't get credit for the wins. This p!$$ed me off some more. The short story is that much is determined by the director. I know the directors were volunteers but this was incompetence.

Anyway I stopped playing in league play. I practice with players that played on table 1 now. Yes, he is a little better than me most of the time but not by much.

My first coach would not play in local RC events because he had a rating that was 400 points higher than the best in the local area. There was nothing to be gained.

If this is SPTTC Vince64, do you use RC in your weekly SPTTC league play? I watch the SPTTC videos.
No. I use the Usatt league rating system. A couple of the clubs in the Portland, Or. use RC for their leagues. Thanks for watching the videos. The live stream will start again this upcoming Saturday. If you're ever in the Seattle/Bellevue area stop by the club.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
The question is did your two friends play in Portland at the local clubs? The RC ratings are very low there. I know many SPTTC players come to the Paddle Palace to play but I don't think the Paddle Palace use RC.

I watch interesting players at the SPTTC. I wait till the video is done and scroll through the video to find the better or more interesting players/games. Sometimes I see a player that knows he or she is going to get beat so they are just going through the motions so I skip those.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
The question is did your two friends play in Portland at the local clubs? The RC ratings are very low there. I know many SPTTC players come to the Paddle Palace to play but I don't think the Paddle Palace use RC.

I watch interesting players at the SPTTC. I wait till the video is done and scroll through the video to find the better or more interesting players/games. Sometimes I see a player that knows he or she is going to get beat so they are just going through the motions so I skip those.
The Paddle Palace club uses RC for their leagues. Both of them are from the Portland area and I’ve played them multiple times at tournaments in at
Paddle Palace and when they’ve come up to SPTTC for tournaments