Setup for intermediate player

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Is Donic Appelgren Allplay(Normal) with FH Xiom Omega 5 Asia + BH Xiom Vega Europe a good combination for a intermediate offensive player(a.k.a me)?

This user has no status.
My son had the Applegren for a couple of years and was a perfectly good bat before moving on to a Nittaku Acoustic.

He had Xiom Vega on both sides, this was also good for developing his strokes.

Personally I'm not convinced about having different rubbers on BH & FH whilst still developing, more than anything I think my son improved BH & FH consistency with the same rubber.

Reactions: thomas.pong
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I would agree with Wister and everyone concerned about a newer player and a hard sponged rubber...

...but it all comes down to your impact and what you are trying to do.

For those without a Bang impact, normally a medium or softer sponge is it. It depends on how you dig into the ball and the kind of topspin you are trying.

In Korea, the older coaches start someone out with a fast OFF or OFF+ blade and mid firm or firm rubbers. This is a very controllable setup for the kind of less topspin fast drives close to the table.

So for them, that is proper to start with. That is why I say it could depend.

The pundit USA and European response is heck no, go slow and medium or soft.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
I'm with the Koreans, no harm in getting used to a nice hard solid hunk of wood. My sheet of Omega V is still on the way, but if memory serves right, its hard by Euro standards, but not rock hard like Chinese stuff.

If you do go for it, I recommend another harder rubber for the backhand as well. Matching the OVA with Vega Europe is going to make your backhand feel like marshmallows, very disconnected.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
I'm with the Koreans, no harm in getting used to a nice hard solid hunk of wood. My sheet of Omega V is still on the way, but if memory serves right, its hard by Euro standards, but not rock hard like Chinese stuff.

If you do go for it, I recommend another harder rubber for the backhand as well. Matching the OVA with Vega Europe is going to make your backhand feel like marshmallows, very disconnected.
So would a Xiom Vega Asia(47.5°) suit better for the backhand? 2.5° difference between forehand and backhand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Honestly, all a matter of preference...

I've gone through 3 sheets of Vega Asia when I used to play penhold RPB. Pretty good stuff.

Same soft topsheet as the Vega Europe but a slightly harder (medium) sponge).

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I'm with what several people said already.

Good choice of blade and BH rubber (Vega Europe 2.0mm). For your FH, Asia is too much for an intermediate player, and you could either go with Vega Pro (more linear, controlable and forgiving) or Vega Japan (more dynamic), either would be fine in 2.0mm.

You could also wait for the updated version of Vega Pro called Vega X which should be coming out in a week or so. I might switch to it or Vega Japan myself.

Last edited: