Please advise: Best Joola rubbers for my blade

says Thank you for the great info! I really appreciate it!!!
Jul 2019
Hello all. I got Donic Appelgren Senso V2 and put DoubleFish QIGI original (which is kind of hard and semi tacky) on FH and DoubleFish Hunting Shadows 8338 on BH. I'm probab lyadvanced beginner, maybe early intermediate player. Once or twice a month I take a group class with Chinese coach and his pupils (2500- 2600 level players in US) for the last 6 month. I'm too old to train to play like a pro but I really enjoy the game and it's great cardio exercise for me:cool:.
Coach briefly tried my set up and told me that the rubbers are not spiny enough ( I had the same feeling about them but blamed it on my mechanics).
I tried the set up used by one of the coaches who has expensive Joola blade with Golden Tango rubbers and was blown away how spiny they are. I did my regular forehand serve with a lot of under spin wrist motion, normally with my set up ball would go closer to the end of the table with small curve medium fast but with Tangos ball was very slow, barely clear the net, very short serve, bounced really low ( less then an inch or about 2 centimeters) with extreme spin, bounce on the the table few times, fall on the floor and still was pinning for a few seconds!
Main coach was showing me Rhyzer Pro 50 but I think it would be too much for me.
I can get Joola rubbers at a good discount but need help deciding which once to use.
I was reading a lot and leaning toward Golden Tango PS for my FH and Rhyzer 43 BH. I do like to topspin when I can, especially with FH but I can't yet to fine brush the ball, more like hit it through the sponge. And I'm not always have fine touch in the short game. My backhand is ok but I still can't top spin well ball when it's low. Plus I have bunch of bad habits I developed as a teenager which are proven very hard to break but I keep trying.
Please help me with Joola rubbers. Thank you!!!

Last edited:
Jul 2019
I agree, of course coach's set up is in the different league. I plan to tone down set up as i will get rubbers in 2 mm. Golden Tango PS has softer sponge at 50 ^ instead of 54^. I tried today Rhyzer Pro 50 and liked it a lot: not very bouncy, linear, spiny. Now I'm thinking Rhyzer Pro 45 (softer then 50), 2 mm for my backhand. I want to get Joola because I possibly could get a good discount, that's all. I just want to know others more experienced players experiences with Joola rubbers. Thanks!

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I agree, of course coach's set up is in the different league. I plan to tone down set up as i will get rubbers in 2 mm. Golden Tango PS has softer sponge at 50 ^ instead of 54^. I tried today Rhyzer Pro 50 and liked it a lot: not very bouncy, linear, spiny. Now I'm thinking Rhyzer Pro 45 (softer then 50), 2 mm for my backhand. I want to get Joola because I possibly could get a good discount, that's all. I just want to know others more experienced players experiences with Joola rubbers. Thanks!

Rhyzer is considered a high-end European-style rubber which tend to make it easier for developing players to learn proper techniques versus hard sponge hard topsheet rubbers such as the Chinese-style rubbers like the Golden Tango series. Now 50+ degrees is very hard for Euro rubbers (meant to emulate the Chinese-style ones a bit) and is usually reserved for high level players (think USATT 2000 and up) since they are very fast rubbers with little control and not forgiving especially in game situations. 47-48 deg is also quite hard and usually recommended to high intermediate players (1600 and up). I think Rhyzer Pro 45 for your FH and 43 for your BH both in 2.0mm would be a good place for you to start.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Rhyzer is considered a high-end European-style rubber which tend to make it easier for developing players to learn proper technics versus hard sponge hard topsheet rubbers such as the Chinese-style rubbers like the Golden Tango series. Now 50+ degrees is very hard for Euro rubbers (meant to emulate te Chinese-style ones a bit) and is usually reserved for high level players (think USATT 2000 and up) since they are very fast rubbers with little control and not forgiving especially in game situations. 47-48 deg is also quite hard and usually recommended to high intermediate players (1600 and up). I think Rhyzer Pro 45 for your FH and 43 for your BH both in 2.0mm would be a good place for you to start.

These suggestions sound quite intelligent to me.

Reactions: YV13
No, not new but an attempt of Joola to sell a "classic" rubber without any "tension/spring sponge/speed glue effect" whatsoever.
I really don't get it. I'm playing table tennis on and off for about 25 years with a lot of years inactive in between.
When I was playing as a kid, everybody and I mean really everybody was saying that speed glueing is only feasible for a player with at least 2-3 years of proper training under his belt with a good technique.
Today, somebody who can't push straight with the BH (one of the easiest strokes) is getting Rhyzer 50, Rasanter R53, Omega VII whatever the hardest sponge on a blade where a Viscaria looks like an All+ blade in comparison.
Everybody is arguing that the 40+ ball demands for it. For me, that's utter bullshit. I've played with 38mm celluloid, started again with 40mm celluloid and now with 40+ plastic. It is like in all sports: First get the basics in and then start to progress. Fast blades and rubbers only make sense if you play in a division/at tournaments where at least 50% of the points are won in counter loop battles around 2-3 meters behind the table. In Germany, this starts with a TTR of around 1700 which would roughly translate into a rating for the US around 2000.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
No, not new but an attempt of Joola to sell a "classic" rubber without any "tension/spring sponge/speed glue effect" whatsoever.
I really don't get it. I'm playing table tennis on and off for about 25 years with a lot of years inactive in between.
When I was playing as a kid, everybody and I mean really everybody was saying that speed glueing is only feasible for a player with at least 2-3 years of proper training under his belt with a good technique.
Today, somebody who can't push straight with the BH (one of the easiest strokes) is getting Rhyzer 50, Rasanter R53, Omega VII whatever the hardest sponge on a blade where a Viscaria looks like an All+ blade in comparison.
Everybody is arguing that the 40+ ball demands for it. For me, that's utter bullshit. I've played with 38mm celluloid, started again with 40mm celluloid and now with 40+ plastic. It is like in all sports: First get the basics in and then start to progress. Fast blades and rubbers only make sense if you play in a division/at tournaments where at least 50% of the points are won in counter loop battles around 2-3 meters behind the table. In Germany, this starts with a TTR of around 1700 which would roughly translate into a rating for the US around 2000.

I would agree with this. I have just realized, you can bring a horse to water but you can't always make them drink. It is quite consistent that lower rated players want to play with equipment that is fancier.

With a decent all wood, All+/Off- blade, modern rubbers can be fine and can cause a player to learn to use them. But that same All+/Off- wood blade with classic rubbers should really be fine. But when you recommend that, usually, the person gets something way out of hand because others suggest crazy things like ZJK SZLC with T05H and Dignics 05. :)

But from a real standpoint, not assessing the emotional makeup of the person asking for advice, this is the real thing. :)

Reactions: thomas.pong
Jul 2019
Rhyzer is considered a high-end European-style rubber which tend to make it easier for developing players to learn proper techniques versus hard sponge hard topsheet rubbers such as the Chinese-style rubbers like the Golden Tango series. Now 50+ degrees is very hard for Euro rubbers (meant to emulate the Chinese-style ones a bit) and is usually reserved for high level players (think USATT 2000 and up) since they are very fast rubbers with little control and not forgiving especially in game situations. 47-48 deg is also quite hard and usually recommended to high intermediate players (1600 and up). I think Rhyzer Pro 45 for your FH and 43 for your BH both in 2.0mm would be a good place for you to start.
Definitely something I will consider, thanks!

Reactions: thomas.pong