How to clean the bottom side of the inverted rubber?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
Hello,

I am looking for some options to clean the bottom side of the inverted rubber, the part right next to the handle where the details of the rubber are marked (e.g Butterfly Tenergy 05, the Butterfly logo, ITTF, serial number).
The dust will sit between the letters and it will harden there.
I have tried the following options:
-the tennis table sponge used to clean the surface of the rubber - it did not work very well to remove the dust between the letters
-the built in tennis table sponge from a combo cleaner - it did not work very well
-a toothbrush - it worked a little bit better than the sponge
-a needle - probably this was the best option so far
-a wet cotton wool - it did not work

Best regards

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Lick it lol.

Honestly, this is a bit OCD. If you really want a deep clean, dish detergent and toothbrush will work.

I'm also guessing the "white residue" is not dust but oxidized rubber, in which case, you won't be able to clean them off.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Jelly Cleaner is the best, maybe no one has tried it hence they're not aware, but this is the best way to clean rubbers

I am using it from a month, totally loving it

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

I think the main issue is that the term "Jelly Cleaner" is not something we are familiar with (it also doesn't register any hits on a google search). Can you describe what you mean by "Jelly Cleaner"?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I would like to see a picture. Never heard of this problem before. How old is the rubber?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I would like to see a picture. Never heard of this problem before. How old is the rubber?

Finally, someone gets at the real issue. :) How old is the rubber? Can you take a photo of the rubber so we can see what is actually going on?

BTW: without the photos, I would say, why on earth would anyone care about that area being a little dirty? Leave it as a badge of honor that you have put use into your rubbers.

Or maybe it is time to get new rubbers. If they are more than 2 years old, you can be like Der_Echte and use them despite the fact that they are old and their performance is starting to fade. Or you can get new rubbers. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
Hello,

I have attached some pictures with the rubbers.
I have played with them for about one year.

BR.

forehand.jpg
backhand.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
1 year! No chips, no scruff marks? Damn you keep your shit clean!

But yeah, those are probably not dirt.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
Well, I am cleaning the rubbers after each game and I am washing the sponge used to clean them once a month but somehow the dust still subsided (if it is dust). Also, I am using protective films for the rubbers and I keep the racket in a case.

->20200109_191924.jpg

Reactions: GusShnaps
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Dirt around the bottom of the rubber where the brand stamp is is a badge of honor, an indication of the efforts you have made.

Last edited:
Well, I am cleaning the rubbers after each game and I am washing the sponge used to clean them once a month but somehow the dust still subsided (if it is dust). Also, I am using protective films for the rubbers and I keep the racket in a case.

->View attachment 20539

Oh, then its more like a "cleaning residue".

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Oh, then its more like a "cleaning residue".

Isn’t that just salt / sweat staining the rubber? Not much to do about that.

I think Langel may be right. I think that is probably residue from all those cleaning chemicals.

Maximillian, this is for you. Those cleaning substances are mostly gimmick. The chemicals in them cause the rubber molecules to oxidize faster. Which means, your rubbers will wear out faster. You are better off NOT USING THEM.

A small amount of water on a simple sponge (you definitely do not need one of those TT sponges) or even a small amount of water on your hand, is all you need to clean your rubbers.

If you stop using all those silly chemicals, and just use water instead, you will likely stop having that cleaning product residue buildup on your rubbers. It may be too late for this set. But it probably won't happen on the next set if you are less OCD about cleaning and only use water instead of all those chemicals.

Dirt around the bottom of the rubber where the brand stamp is is a badge of honor, an indication of the efforts you have made.

But I also agree with Baal, you should not try to Martha Stewart away the battle scars on your equipment. Continuing on that tangent, I think that means your blade needs more dings and your handle needs to show the sweat from hard play more clearly.

Go out and play harder and forget about whether your racket looks pretty. It will be there in a scuffle better for you if you let it get down and dirty. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: GusShnaps
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Agree with a guy above. Almost funny. I also think it is from cleaning your rubber. Try to just clean above the text.

I am impressed how much you take care of your racket!