New blade advice

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Been playing with Xiom Allround S for around a year now, I like the blade and have developed a lot using it, but now I feel that I need to upgrade to a faster one without compromising/changing the current feel of my all wood blade. From your experience guys, what would be a suitable blade?

It is possible he has outgrown his blade.
In one year? Normally my approach would be first thicker rubbers, then faster rubbers and after that maybe a faster blade. With this approach he might be using his blade two more years.
It is totally different if he says he needs something with higher throw, harder/softer feeling or whatever. Just saying "it's too slow" tells me that the problems are elsewhere. Too slow/need for more speed is also too inaccurate. Do you need a stiffer blade? Do you need a blade with more catapult? When do you need more speed? In looping rallies far from the table? For aggressiv looping against underspin near the table? For your fast aktive blocks and smashes at the table?

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Dude wants a faster blade, let him get a faster blade haha.

But keep in mind 2 things:

1. You can't get something different yet feels the same.
2. All gear will only determine how much energy is conserved, you won't become laser-like even with Schlager Carbon if you have lazy strokes.

That being said, I always recommend Clipper-roids for a good balance between speed and good feel. Here are ones I like (including recommended EJ journey sequence).

Stiga Clipper (wood is thinner, CR is thicker/faster)
Adidas Strike Wood 7/Challenge Speed - Holy Grail of the 7-ply limba-ayous family, scour ebay or whatever to find the last ones in existence.
Tibhar Samsonov Force Black - Somewhere between the Clipper and Adidas stuff. To Help you understand that you can end up with pretty much the same thing from another company despite the wide ranging "subjective" review differences.
Andro CS7 Tour - If you want a slightly thicker and faster family member.
Andro CS7 Velocity - 7.5mm "fatty" distant relative that manages to be faster without sacrificing good feel. Might be too fast for you.

I got all of them. Faster, more solid and linear than the Offensive S. Crisper feel.

I do believe that Offensive S is the most logical step up too.
Its very normal after a year with a typical AR blade to look for a faster setup, and I believe that at that point changing the blade is better than changing the rubbers.
Offensive S is not exactly Off, its Off- and is very linear in speed change in the All/Off- region.
After one year more the OP may switch to faster rubbers and 1 year after that to tnink about what exactly would be his dream setup - stiffness, hardness, composition, type of rubbers, etc.
For now thinking of that is inadequate.

In one year? Normally my approach would be first thicker rubbers, then faster rubbers and after that maybe a faster blade. With this approach he might be using his blade two more years.
It is totally different if he says he needs something with higher throw, harder/softer feeling or whatever. Just saying "it's too slow" tells me that the problems are elsewhere. Too slow/need for more speed is also too inaccurate. Do you need a stiffer blade? Do you need a blade with more catapult? When do you need more speed? In looping rallies far from the table? For aggressiv looping against underspin near the table? For your fast aktive blocks and smashes at the table?

Depends on every individual. I have even coached players who came from a hobbybat to an off- blade in 6 months of regular training so no, it is not always the case.

Reactions: thomas.pong