Need advice on equipment selection

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Hi,

I think, I'm somewhere between a beginner and Intermediate level player as I can already perform basic shots quite consistently, but I'm still developing technique
for regional level tournaments. About a year ago, I "re-started" playing (I've played little bit in my school as a hobby and of-course at my workplace :D) at a local club.

My equipment setup journey so far:

• started at the club (about a year and half ago):
    • Blade: Stiga allround WRB
    • Rubber Forehand: Yasaka Rakza 7 1.9 thickness
    • Rubber Backhand: Yasaka Rakza 7 1.9 thickness

A friendly guy in my club suggested this setup after looking my game style. I enjoyed this setup and played with this setup for a while. But at some point I felt I need more aid from my equipment setup to generate speed and spin with my loop. I love forehand looping and is my core strength (I'm sure, I'm far from being
technically sound but it is still quite good, at least that's my gut feeling is and what I hear from other players in the club) and hence I changed my rubber

• After 6 months at the club
    • Blade: Stiga allround WRB
    • Rubber Forehand: Rasanter r47 max thickness
    • Rubber backhand: Rasanter r47 2.1 thickness

I chose this rubber (Rasanter r47) after reading some reviews and yes Dan's review on Youtube. I did feel that now I was able to generate more speed and spin but I felt I've lost some control. Hence after few months with this setup, I started looking for an alternativefor my blade.

• After about 10 months at the club
    • Blade: Andro Treiber FI off
    • Rubber Forehand: Rasanter r47 max thickness
    • Rubber backhand: Rasanter r47 2.1 thickness

I selected this blade, after watching the review on Treiber series blade by Dan on Youtube At first, this setup was very heavy for me (almost 25 gms increase from my previous blade). I had a lot of difficulty in backhand flick, which reduced my confidence in opening up with my backhand on backspin serves, however my forehand loop started landing on the table lot more and with more spin as well. Players at my level had difficulty blocking those, because of high arc I was generating. I started
winning more matches during the training and also in competitions. Now I wanted to focus more on my technique and started reading information on internet like
a search engine crawler and decided to go with the following which is my current setup.

• current setup
    • Blade: Andro Treiber FI off
    • Rubber Forehand: DHS Hurricane 3 orange sponge, Chinese hardness 39, thickness 2.15
    • Rubber backhand: Rasanter r47 max thickness

I chose Chinese rubber after reading lots of assorted information on internet about those rubbers. I must admit that It indeed gives a very nice feeling and more control,
specially when placing the ball short, also a lot of spin on my forehand loop with even more consistency with counter looping. I'm currently not able to generate a lot of speed as I used to with Rasanter r47 on my forehand but I think, I'm going to stick with Chinese tacky rubber for a while and improve my technique. I'm not sure if It's because I got used to heavier bat, but my backhand flick started to become better as well. Unfortunately, just recently while trying a forehand loop, I hit the edge of the table which has damaged the rubber and the blade. Hence I find myself looking for a new setup soon. My goal is to improve my technique and also win few matches in the competition. IMHO a good setup does help in improving the overall game and also the player tends to slowly adapts to the higher playing standard required when playing with a better setup

Therefore I'm really looking forward for your advice for the following equipment setup that I have in mind

• Planning to purchase
    • Blade: Butterfly Viscaria
    • Rubber Forehand: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo blue sponse, Chinese hardness 40, thickness 2.15
    • Rubber backhand: Rasanter r47 max thickness

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Hi Amit,

Nothing wrong with the set-up. Viscaria is tried and true, and I agree with you. Doesn't matter what you buy, you'll adapt to it quickly enough.

However, I recommend commercial H3. At your current level, no need to nimble on the DHSNH3NBS hocus pocus. Get a bottle of Seamoon just for the H3 if you want a little less "disparity" between the forehand and backhand.

This user has no status.
If u want to improve your technique I'll suggest you to buy a 5 ply or maximum a 7 ply blade as that will provide you more than enough control and will help you develop your technique. I'll say go for the hurricane provincial orange sponge rather than the blue sponge because it's easier to use and more durable.

Blades I would suggest:-
1. Nittaku acoustic
2. Stiga clipper

Wait for the pros to respond this is just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Any chance that we could see some footage so we can assess if what you are currently using is okay for you? It will also be easier to suggest equipment that will be good for you if we can see a little of how you play. Does not have to be more than 30 seconds of footage as long as we get to see a few FHs and a d few BHs.

Without that it would be like this:

I am about 5'8" and I have been walking for a few years. What size shoes should I get? :) Without the footage, people would simply be guessing about what might work for you.

Last edited:
Wow! I've been playing on and of for 25 years with a lot of breaks in between and your setup is faster than anything I would dare to even touch.
Footage of you playing some drills with footwork and BH to FH changes and something from a recent match would be good.

Reactions: thomas.pong
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Video of you playing will definitely help us give you better advice.

In the meantime, your current setup is very fast after only 1.5 years of playing, especially with no coaching. Your original setup of the Allround WRB with Rakza 7 could be good for you for at least another couple years. You could get a 5-ply all-wood OFF- blade like the Stiga Azalea OFF or Butterfly Primorac or Korbel if you wanted a little more speed, but Rakza 7 in 2.0mm should give you plenty of speed and spin on both wings and way more control then R47 so you could continue to develop your game steadily and more easily.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hi,

Please find the short video in the YouTube link below. Apologies for poor quality and the angle. I hope it still gives some rough idea about my playing style.

https://youtu.be/iR6OAF2Uh_I

The setup you are using seems fine. But the one you are thinking about seems like it will be fine as well.

Then the question is, why do you feel you want something new. What you have seems to be working for you.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Ingo_Ger said:
Wow! I've been playing on and of for 25 years with a lot of breaks in between and your setup is faster than anything I would dare to even touch.
Footage of you playing some drills with footwork and BH to FH changes and something from a recent match would be good.

I am usually the one to be direct and ruffle the feathers. I would at first blink, want to say something along the lines Ingo said, except I have used fast equipment before with success. Where I agree even on the blade, is that EVERY TIME Der_Echte used an ALL+ or OFF- spin and control oriented blade with NOT the fastest rubbers for a 6 month period, Der_Echte has improved touch and consistency every time, so that when I went back to faster stuff, I handled it better.

Given what the OP has said and without any match footage where we know the level of players, I would say simply to go for something a little over middle of the road blade, not crazy, like an OFF- blade with feel and spin generation potential... and so SOFTER on the rubbers for now... and go with modern dynamic control oriented. Rasanter 42 is in that mold for one choice. Although Rasanter is a totally offensive rubber, at 42 degrees, it is closer to middle of the road than 47 or 50 or whatever harder sponge exists.

I think the OP prolly has a LOT of competent people around that if listened to, could lead OP right. Maybe OP wants to hear it again, it is in peoples' nature.

The Treiber with R47 at his stage, unless he has had 10 hrs a week training with a coach near WR100, would be by any reasonable measure too offensive at the moment.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Then the question is, why do you feel you want something new. What you have seems to be working for you.

On the forehand side, I want to stick to the Chinese rubber. As my current rubber
got damaged recently, I have to get a new one and after reading on internet about
the superior quality of blue sponge, I thought, maybe I should give it a go.

The current blade is okay, but after comparing the feature ratings of the two blades
here [1] and here [2], I *think* that, overall Viscaria will give me nicer feeling
on the ball due it rated as lesser hard and stiff than Andro Treiber FI off.

Rasanter r47 on backhand is working for me currently, but not as good as the
Stiga allround WRB + Yasaka rakza 7 did in past and hence I'm currently in a pickle
with my backhand rubber selection.

In nutshell, I want to try out a good combination, without getting lost in the
plethora of offerings.

[1] https://revspin.net/blade/andro-treiber-fi-off.html
[2] https://revspin.net/blade/butterfly-viscaria.html

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
No offense, but since you jumped on the "Blue Sponge" bandwagon, you are already lost in the rabbit hole.

After watching your video, I have to say that your technique looks really good for around 1 year of training.
Guessing that you have people around you who know how to train you, I would say at that point you can go with whatever material you like. I would suggest that you go for H3 Neo BS in something around 38-39 and on the BH maybe the Rakza7 in max again. I would also go for the R47 in something around 2.0 if you feel uncomfortable with it.
The Viscaria might be a decent choice for you, just try also all the counterparts like Timo Boll ALC, Zhang Jike or Lin Gaoyuan and take the one with the best handle for you.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
On the forehand side, I want to stick to the Chinese rubber. As my current rubber
got damaged recently, I have to get a new one and after reading on internet about
the superior quality of blue sponge, I thought, maybe I should give it a go.

The current blade is okay, but after comparing the feature ratings of the two blades
here [1] and here [2], I *think* that, overall Viscaria will give me nicer feeling
on the ball due it rated as lesser hard and stiff than Andro Treiber FI off.

Rasanter r47 on backhand is working for me currently, but not as good as the
Stiga allround WRB + Yasaka rakza 7 did in past and hence I'm currently in a pickle
with my backhand rubber selection.

In nutshell, I want to try out a good combination, without getting lost in the
plethora of offerings.

[1] https://revspin.net/blade/andro-treiber-fi-off.html
[2] https://revspin.net/blade/butterfly-viscaria.html

Yea, your technique looks very good, especially after only 1 year of serious play, and it seems like you have a good training environment too.

I would take the ratings given by stores, manufacturers and especially revspin (user-generated) with a huge grain of salt as the latter come from users from a wide range of levels, many of which are going to have huge biases and don't have much experience with a wide array of equipment, which makes the ratings very unreliable.

If you take the 2 blades you link to for exemple, the Andro Treiber FI is a fiber inner blade and due to its composition it is actually less hard and stiff then the Butterfly Viscaria but the so-called ratings say otherwise.

Another thing to keep in mind, is how your level vary and how equipment feels during training and set drills (usually feels great) vs. in-game where everything is usually more demanding and you can start loosing control especially when being challenged by a good or stronger opponent or challenging style of play.

If the Stiga Allround WRB with Yasaka Rakza 7 felt nice, that's something to really keep in mind. If you felt if was a little slow, maybe go for the next step up, like the Stiga Offensive Classic WRB or Azalea OFF while keeping the same rubbers you like. The Treiber FI is actually more or less in the same ballpark being fiber only and closer to the core, so if you liked it, why not stick to it? And if not, think about why you think you want to change and what you actually hope to gain from a different setup.. You've changed setups a lot in a short period of time, it's usually not good to change too often when you're trying to build consistency and develop, and it's also often better to change just one element at a time...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
No offense, but since you jumped on the "Blue Sponge" bandwagon, you are already lost in the rabbit hole.

What have I done :(
Perhaps, less (reading articles on internet) is more sometimes.

Everyone, thanks a lot again. I think now I've a clearer picture now. I will stick to the following:
  • Blade: Andro Treiber FI off (same as current)
  • FH rubber: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo orange/blue (whatever I can get my hands on first) sponge, Chinese hardness 40, thickness 2.15
  • BH rubber: Yasaka Rakza 7 2.0 Thickness or the max thickness if available at my local store

I'm bit lucky that I have good trainers at my club, good players to practice with and also good playing condition.

I just want to mention that Hinoki blade doesn't go well with Chinese rubber.

What have I done :(
Perhaps, less (reading articles on internet) is more sometimes.

Everyone, thanks a lot again. I think now I've a clearer picture now. I will stick to the following:
  • Blade: Andro Treiber FI off (same as current)
  • FH rubber: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo orange/blue (whatever I can get my hands on first) sponge, Chinese hardness 40, thickness 2.15
  • BH rubber: Yasaka Rakza 7 2.0 Thickness or the max thickness if available at my local store

I'm bit lucky that I have good trainers at my club, good players to practice with and also good playing condition.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
I just want to mention that Hinoki blade doesn't go well with Chinese rubber.

Just when I thought I figured things out !!!
I really want to stick to Chinese tacky rubber for now. I like it a lot (of-course there is speed issue with my current playing technique but I think It will only help me to improve in long run). So Butterfly Viscaria then ?

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
No. Only change one thing at a time. You already use h3 on your andro blade and you play very well. You aren't satisfied with bh compared to rakza 7, so buy a sheet of R7 and slap it on your old blade. If later you feel like your h3 is allergic to hinoki, then splash out on a viscaria, and put the same rubbers on it.

That's the only way you will be able to make a true comparison. Even trying other people's equipment, it's good, but unless you can use it for hours doesn't tell you much.

Changing one thing at a time, with a specific goal in mind, is the only way to stay outif the ej rabbit hole. Because very soon you will realize that no matter what equipment you use, you still play just like you.

Just when I thought I figured things out !!!
I really want to stick to Chinese tacky rubber for now. I like it a lot (of-course there is speed issue with my current playing technique but I think It will only help me to improve in long run). So Butterfly Viscaria then ?

The thing with hinoki blade (and especially with carbon) is that it has this kicking/catapult/bouncy (whatever you call it) properties, so it doesn't fit with the characteristic of Chinese rubber which require plenty amount of brushing.

My suggestion, if you really want to have true experience with Chinese rubber, is to pair it with a solid limba blade with innerlayer ALC blade like Harimoto ALC, W968, HL5, etc. (By solid I mean the wood has solid feeling, i.e. higher desnity, and thus weighs more. Look for 93+ gram blade)

Reactions: Amit Mehta