Guess Tokyo 2020 Medalists

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Guess medallists for all events, might also be guess players that will be represented

Men's Singles
I think will be all China Gold Medal play-off.
Gold: FZD, Silver: Ma Long, Bronze: Harimoto beats Lin Yun-ju

Ladie's Singles
So tough to guess as more that two capable of winning.
Gold: Chen Meng, Silver: Mima, Bronze: SYS

Men's Team
Gold: China, Silver: Germany, Bronze: Japan
Ladie's Team
Gold: China, Silver: Japan, Bronze: Chinese Taipei

Mixed Doubles
Gold: Japan, Silver: China, Bronze: Hong Kong

Result predictions subject to change

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
This could be good once we know the lineup for each country especially China who is main pretended for gold medals . I see you did not include LSW and defending champion DN. I think both of them still have chances to qualify.
For me the most certain like 99% is gold team medal for china both in men and women.
I am pretty sure china will take gold in mix doubles doesn't matter who XX will pair.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
MS
Gold: Harimoto Silver: Jeong Young-Sik Bronze: LIN Yun-Ju beats MA Long
[really FZD should win, but I'm making an outside bet here lol]

WS
Gold: Ito, Silver: SYS Bronze: Ishikawa

MT
Gold: China Silver: Germany Bronze: Japan

LT
Gold: China Silver: Japan Bronze:Hong Kong

Mixed Doubles

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
This could be good once we know the lineup for each country especially China who is main pretended for gold medals . I see you did not include LSW and defending champion DN. I think both of them still have chances to qualify.
For me the most certain like 99% is gold team medal for china both in men and women.
I am pretty sure china will take gold in mix doubles doesn't matter who XX will pair.

LSW yes has good chance based on form now, DN on other hand didn't really impress too much in 2019, she did make few finals but others in women's team had far better year than her, unlike Ma Long that won tournaments, he right now more worthy to defend title. Some strong reason I believe CM & SYS both 2 strongest in women's team that can beat Mima Ito so both will be in singles lineup for Tokyo, both tanked 1&2, not sure many other Chinese ladies right now can beat Mima.

Yer with XD decided to change few thi ngs up, some reason still think Japan will pull off a gold medal somewhere, XD being best of 5 not 7 upset might come here.

I agree very early, feel CNT has 4-5 months to really convince coaches of spots.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
MS
Gold: Harimoto Silver: Jeong Young-Sik Bronze: LIN Yun-Ju beats MA Long
[really FZD should win, but I'm making an outside bet here lol]

WS
Gold: Ito, Silver: SYS Bronze: Ishikawa

MT
Gold: China Silver: Germany Bronze: Japan

LT
Gold: China Silver: Japan Bronze:Hong Kong

Mixed Doubles

Ladie's Singles would be epic if it's a double China-Japan semi final, crowd will go crazy, I wonder if Chinese have bought out the whole stadium lol

I'm going to go with the safe bets, I think 2024 Olympics will be interesting, but right now CNT still has too much of a lead.

MS
Gold: FZD, Silver: ML, Bronze: Timo beats LYJ (I think experience wins out in these big events, but bronze probably depends more on the draws than anything else, maybe Harimoto more likely than these two due to seeding)

WS
Gold: LSW, Silver: SYS, Bronze: Mima Ito over Feng TianWei

MT

LT
Gold: China, Silver: Japan, Bronze: ROK

Mixed Doubles
Gold: China, Silver: Japan, Bronze: Hong Kong (upset is probably most likely here)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
I'm going to go with the safe bets, I think 2024 Olympics will be interesting, but right now CNT still has too much of a lead.

MS
Gold: FZD, Silver: ML, Bronze: Timo beats LYJ (I think experience wins out in these big events, but bronze probably depends more on the draws than anything else, maybe Harimoto more likely than these two due to seeding)

WS
Gold: LSW, Silver: SYS, Bronze: Mima Ito over Feng TianWei

MT

LT
Gold: China, Silver: Japan, Bronze: ROK

Mixed Doubles
Gold: China, Silver: Japan, Bronze: Hong Kong (upset is probably most likely here)

Most people agree on FZD & Ma Long as 2 standouts in Men's team

I love how everyone has different opinions 2 Ladie's to be in singles event, I'm a current believer should be CM & SYS, others think LSW to be in ahead of SYS

Glad you agree for now SYS.

My 2 big question marks are Mima and Harimoto. Mima I think right now is ready but need see what form she is in 1-6 months time, Harimoto bit hot and cold, will be interesting how he performs in a big QF against say Ovtcharov or Timo or Korean boys.

Last edited:
Most people agree on FZD & Ma Long as 2 standouts in Men's team

I love how everyone has different opinions 2 Ladie's to be in singles event, I'm a current believer should be CM & SYS, others think LSW to be in ahead of SYS

Glad you agree for now SYS.

My 2 big question marks are Mima and Harimoto. Mima I think right now is ready but need see what form she is in 1-6 months time, Harimoto bit hot and cold, will be interesting how he performs in a big QF against say Ovtcharov or Timo or Korean boys.

I've mostly chosen LSW because she is the the incumbent World Champion.

Going by how the CNT had traditionally chosen teams, I would the guessed the singles spots to go to DN and LSW, as the current olympic and world champions.

But I think Mima presents enough of a threat for them to change up the way they select to avoid this pair. DN specifically doesn't appear to be in good form, and her qualifying achievement would have been 4 years ago by the time of Tokyo.

The next achievement down the list is World Cup, which is also currently LSW, so that's off the table. After that is Asian Championships, which is SYS, who is both in good form, and the continental champion.

After that on the totem pole is Asian cup, which is ZYL, which... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. After that we run out of big titles the CNT care about.

So CM doesn't really have a case except in terms of her form. CNT have told her as much in the past, and she hasn't since taken the achievements to actually justify her case.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
I've mostly chosen LSW because she is the the incumbent World Champion.

Going by how the CNT had traditionally chosen teams, I would the guessed the singles spots to go to DN and LSW, as the current olympic and world champions.

But I think Mima presents enough of a threat for them to change up the way they select to avoid this pair. DN specifically doesn't appear to be in good form, and her qualifying achievement would have been 4 years ago by the time of Tokyo.

The next achievement down the list is World Cup, which is also currently LSW, so that's off the table. After that is Asian Championships, which is SYS, who is both in good form, and the continental champion.

After that on the totem pole is Asian cup, which is ZYL, which... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. After that we run out of big titles the CNT care about.

So CM doesn't really have a case except in terms of her form. CNT have told her as much in the past, and she hasn't since taken the achievements to actually justify her case.

You don't think CM #1 ranking and 3 Grand Finals titles and other titles carry weight for her case?

I just don't think DN has strong case to mount for Olympic selection, Zhu Yuling has a bad record lately against Mima, she is good against other Chinese but not Mima, because of that I think her selection is in doubt.

Liu Shiwen some reason also not sold on right now. Only reason because of this as you said Mima threat is real.

Ma Long is defending champion but when healthy is still the best, However not sure if can get to his healthy best. But his case is more solid than Ding Ning.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
I just don't think DN has strong case to mount for Olympic selection, Zhu Yuling has a bad record lately against Mima, she is good against other Chinese but not Mima, because of that I think her selection is in doubt.

Liu Shiwen some reason also not sold on right now. Only reason because of this as you said Mima threat is real.

Ma Long is defending champion but when healthy is still the best, However not sure if can get to his healthy best. But his case is more solid than Ding Ning.
China has NEVER sent a 30.5 year old woman to the Olympics. There are younger, fitter, in better form and eager choices already out of the factory in excellent running condition waiting.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
China has NEVER sent a 30.5 year old woman to the Olympics. There are younger, fitter, in better form and eager choices already out of the factory in excellent running condition waiting.

Ding Ning is my all time favourite but good things always do come to an end, if she has super 6 months and cleans out most tournaments and convinces coaches won't be upset.

Would love to see what coaches discuss and their toughts right about now.

You don't think CM #1 ranking and 3 Grand Finals titles and other titles carry weight for her case?

Frankly, No.

But far more importantly, the CNT don't care. They've told her as much, i'm sure someone can dig up the video of them telling her 'other than world no. 1, you arn't anything'.

Don't get me wrong, I, personally, would pick CM and LSW. Because the form/level of play matters much more to me than the CNT. But since CNT get to pick who plays, my prediction has to be based on who I think the CNT will pick.

Taking world tour titles is nice and cute, and if they run out of people with actual achievements and it comes down to purely form, then they are a good indicator of the kind of form you are in. But CNT selection has always been heavily heavily slated to the 'Big' tournaments. The World Tour grand finals isn't one of them in the eyes of the CNT and the World Tour in general isn't that important to the CNT.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Frankly, No.

But far more importantly, the CNT don't care. They've told her as much, i'm sure someone can dig up the video of them telling her 'other than world no. 1, you arn't anything'.

Don't get me wrong, I, personally, would pick CM and LSW. Because the form/level of play matters much more to me than the CNT. But since CNT get to pick who plays, my prediction has to be based on who I think the CNT will pick.

Taking world tour titles is nice and cute, and if they run out of people with actual achievements and it comes down to purely form, then they are a good indicator of the kind of form you are in. But CNT selection has always been heavily heavily slated to the 'Big' tournaments. The World Tour grand finals isn't one of them in the eyes of the CNT and the World Tour in general isn't that important to the CNT.

Moreover it is not just the wins but the losses in those matches you had opportunities. Why did CM lose the Asian Cup to ZYL at a time when everything pointed to CM being the better player? While LSW went supernova at the WTTC, Chen Meng usually beats LSW. Why did she falter at the last step?

Such evaluations of how one performs at the pressure moments is done internally. Chen Meng hasn't come through in a big event in the right way. I am a supporter and think she is too physically gifted not to win a big event at some point in her career. But the risk she carries is real and Sun Yingsha is looming as a pursuer to everyone and a destroyer of ambitions.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Moreover it is not just the wins but the losses in those matches you had opportunities. Why did CM lose the Asian Cup to ZYL at a time when everything pointed to CM being the better player? While LSW went supernova at the WTTC, Chen Meng usually beats LSW. Why did she falter at the last step?

Such evaluations of how one performs at the pressure moments is done internally. Chen Meng hasn't come through in a big event in the right way. I am a supporter and think she is too physically gifted not to win a big event at some point in her career. But the risk she carries is real and Sun Yingsha is looming as a pursuer to everyone and a destroyer of ambitions.

Based on CNT philosophy, in your opinion have they got to field covered with their potential selections to take out the gold Medals?

I mentioned before Zhu Yuling struggles against Mima but does well against Chinese, CM one of them who ZY has done reasonably well against.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Based on CNT philosophy, in your opinion have they got to field covered with their potential selections to take out the gold Medals?

I mentioned before Zhu Yuling struggles against Mima but does well against Chinese, CM one of them who ZY has done reasonably well against.
IMO, send the world champs as long as they are not injured. The prep for the Olympics will allow them to come up with adequate solutions.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
First time one thing is different then in the past olympics qualification, which is ranking system. Last olympics they could send LXX and ZJK both not in best shape and both did not attend much tournaments because their high ranking was not on danger due to missing some tours.
This time when you need to play a lot to be on top of the ranking. So first time it is possible that once they chose DN she can be in half of other chinese player in olympics. That means no silver for China.
The same can happen to ma long if he underperforms for longer and harimoto climbs in ranking.
This is the risk they cannot afford.
So anyone they choose they must be sure they have two top spots at olympics which means both have to play a lot in world tours. That means no time for injuries or recoveries.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
First time one thing is different then in the past olympics qualification, which is ranking system. Last olympics they could send LXX and ZJK both not in best shape and both did not attend much tournaments because their high ranking was not on danger due to missing some tours.
This time when you need to play a lot to be on top of the ranking. So first time it is possible that once they chose DN she can be in half of other chinese player in olympics. That means no silver for China.
The same can happen to ma long if he underperforms for longer and harimoto climbs in ranking.
So anyone they choose they must be sure they have two top spots at olympics which means both have to play a lot in world tours. That means no time for injuries or recoveries.

It is curious that even at the simple ITTF Spain Challenge tournament in China, 8 women were announced .... Personally, I don’t remember anything like that ....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019

What happens if Mima has a spectacular year and breaks into the two 2 WR? Is there any way CNT can ensure there will be a double Chinese final can happen?

Just curious!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
What happens if Mima has a spectacular year and breaks into the two 2 WR? Is there any way CNT can ensure there will be a double Chinese final can happen?

Just curious!

Pure theoretically, Ito could become No. 2 in the ITTF ranking before Tokyo 2020 ...
But the probability of this is very small ....China will do everything for Ito to be in 4th, and even better in 5th place ....