Gaining high ball attack from your serve

This user has no status.
I think I've come up with the ultimate question for a coach. How to train
3rd ball kills that have your own spin on them.

How many have been through this stage of TT? You have a decent serve that has enough
spin and deception to gain high returns that you can kill.....

BUT

When that high spinny ball comes back you either dunk it or put it long (face palm)

E.G. I just learned recently that if I put on a heavy sidespin ball to the FH and the opponent
comes around it with a tomahawk like push back, you really need to lift that ball
more than you'd think to get it back.
Sometimes your own spin can be an enemy :)

Last edited:
Reactions: KM1976
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You just need to get used to attacking that spin. If you keep doing that serve and getting that return, you should get good at it. And that is kind of what a good setup is. You know what is coming to you and where it is coming and you become good at the shot to make on that return that comes back from your serve.

Reactions: CroneOne
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
I think I've come up with the ultimate question for a coach. How to train
3rd ball kills that have your own spin on them.

How many have been through this stage of TT? You have a decent serve that has enough
spin and deception to gain high returns that you can kill.....

BUT

When that high spinny ball comes back you either dunk it or put it long (face palm)

E.G. I just learned recently that if I put on a heavy sidespin ball to the FH and the opponent
comes around it with a tomahawk like push back, you really need to lift that ball
more than you'd think to get it back.
Sometimes your own spin can be an enemy :)

I had faced and sometimes still face this issue on my serves. When I started learning Table tennis initially, I had a lot of time on my own and I was very much impressed with a heavy backspin serve made famous by Ma Lin. I tried and tried and eventually I was able to do a heavy backspin serve. This was awesome! since I got lot of cheap points on my serves and easy wins. However, as I played more and more, my opponents started receiving my serves. In a best of 5 set scenario, this started happening typically from 3rd set onwards, where my opponent would just lift the backspin serve and then I was in a lot of trouble. Reason: I never had a strong attack to backup my above average serve. I then started with sidespin serves and again, opponents who were better than me always added to my spin and sent it back. Again, I was in trouble as the ball kept moving and I was not prepared enough to attack it.
I realized that - it is always a plus to have a heavy spin serves. But you should be using only that much spin on your serves which you can eventually attack once it comes back. Heavy spin is more of a surprise element rather than the regular serves. So from percentages distribution - I would use 85% serves with normal spin but just throw in a couple of heavy spins to keep things interesting.
This is my experience so far, I also realized that as time progresses, if you can get your confidence to attack a third ball effectively then you can start experimenting on the returns on heavy serves. It is more about not getting choked on receiving your spin back and getting the mechanics right.

Reactions: CroneOne