Table Tennis and Astigmatism

This user has no status.
I have astigmatism and the venues in our leagues generally have very bright lights. Although I wear glasses they only help my astigmatism when looking in one direction and I'm having problems with starbursts. When practising lately I have been holding my non-playing hand over my eyes as a shield and this seems to improve the problem. Does anybody else have the same problem and are there any things that people use to help such as playing with a peaked cap or a visor?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 1 reviews
Are contact lenses an option for you? 'Toric' contact lenses that correct correct astigmatism can be really good, but you do have to put them in at least a couple of hours before you play to allow your eyes/brain to adjust to the slight difference between them and glasses.

Do your glasses have an anti-reflective coating and are they clean and free from scratches? Those things can make a huge difference.

This user has no status.
Hi Russel , I am an optician so think I understand the nature of your problem. I suspect that if you have had a corneal graft(post keratoconus?) then the problem is likely to originate from they eye as opposed to the lenses. There are some spectacle lenses which can reduce the effects of glare on the eyes. By all means send me a DM if you would like some advice?

Reactions: Guruzz