2020 World Team Table Tennis Championships

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I get it but think of it from CEO or ITTF President angle.

You have contracts/schedules in place, would be repercussions if made decision now and say situation is cleared say 6 months late? Personally I agree with you that USA is not location to be hosting the event, situation has worsened and no signs now of improvrment but can't make early decisions based on circumstances can't forsee.

Why do you think Olympics hasn't been cancelled? Contracts, sponsors, billions of dollars. Neither IOC or Japan want to make the call as whoever makes the call will have the cover the bill. This situation instead of cancelling I think Japan & IOC will negotiate to postpone til 2024, that's my opinion, they have bought themselves plenty of time, don't think either side keen to rush or push the event given the situation. Don't think France will object to postpone their games til 2028, don't think they have planned to far ahead.

Maybe the US will get lucky and have defacto herd immunity and will be able to hold the event without restricting any country from coming?

On a more serious note, the whole coronavirus thing is vexing. This was a big event on the calendar of many TT enthusiasts and getting to see my idols live was a dream.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
I get it but think of it from CEO or ITTF President angle.

You have contracts/schedules in place, would be repercussions if made decision now and say situation is cleared say 6 months late? Personally I agree with you that USA is not location to be hosting the event, situation has worsened and no signs now of improvrment but can't make early decisions based on circumstances can't forsee.

Why do you think Olympics hasn't been cancelled? Contracts, sponsors, billions of dollars. Neither IOC or Japan want to make the call as whoever makes the call will have the cover the bill. This situation instead of cancelling I think Japan & IOC will negotiate to postpone til 2024, that's my opinion, they have bought themselves plenty of time, don't think either side keen to rush or push the event given the situation. Don't think France will object to postpone their games til 2028, don't think they have planned to far ahead.

I understand there are contracts and agreements in place. However, a global pandemic makes negotiating or even getting out of those things easier than you may think. Especially when a great liability is posed to the venue hosting the event. As I said, 11 months out is definitely not too soon to foresee the way this may be going, especially with how packed 2021 is as far as major TT tournaments, a decision will have to be made sooner rather than later.

The Olympics is something of a completely different scale and proportion than the World Table Tennis Championships. These things cannot even be compared.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
I understand there are contracts and agreements in place. However, a global pandemic makes negotiating or even getting out of those things easier than you may think. Especially when a great liability is posed to the venue hosting the event. As I said, 11 months out is definitely not too soon to foresee the way this may be going, especially with how packed 2021 is as far as major TT tournaments, a decision will have to be made sooner rather than later.

The Olympics is something of a completely different scale and proportion than the World Table Tennis Championships. These things cannot even be compared.

I don't disagree at all. Honestly I can't think of a venue or a city in the world right now that is capable of hosting any Table Tennis event, one that can guarantee the safety of players, officials and fans.

Im just saying decisions like these aren't easy and full diplomatc approaches are taken. Not sure when these contracts were signed that there was a 'pandemic clause' added, can guarantee now everyone moving forward that does get signed will have one.

I ask you, if you had to make decision now to move 2021 World Championships, where would you move it to? If I asked ITTF CEO think he would laugh at me.

Reactions: vik
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
I don't disagree at all. Honestly I can't think of a venue or a city in the world right now that is capable of hosting any Table Tennis event, one that can guarantee the safety of players, officials and fans.

Im just saying decisions like these aren't easy and full diplomatc approaches are taken. Not sure when these contracts were signed that there was a 'pandemic clause' added, can guarantee now everyone moving forward that does get signed will have one.

I ask you, if you had to make decision now to move 2021 World Championships, where would you move it to? If I asked ITTF CEO think he would laugh at me.

Zeio mentioned that they were considering joining it with the postponed 2020 Teams WTTC in Busan into a 2-week event held in early 2021.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Zeio mentioned that they were considering joining it with the postponed 2020 Teams WTTC in Busan into a 2-week event held in early 2021.

Hope so would be nice event to tune into. This rate everything looking unlikely though

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
https://www.ittf.com/2020/07/10/ittf-executive-committee-july-update-covid-19/
• The Hana Bank 2020 World Team Table Tennis Championships in Busan, Korea Republic, will be staged between 28 February and 7 March 2021.

• Due to decreasing probability of international events being staged according to the original plan in 2020, the ITTF will therefore attempt to stage “bubble” or regionally based events during the remainder of the 2020 calendar, working around ever-changing international travel restrictions.

Jan 2018
Given the 8-day duration, hope is still alive for Houston?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
If Houston is a bubble event, that will just take all the fun out of it.

Wondering which city is capable of hosting such a bubble event right now?

Doubt even the safest city would want outsiders entering their city

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
If Houston is a bubble event, that will just take all the fun out of it.

Seeing elite table tennis live is completely different than on YouTube. It's hard for people to know what they are missing out on until they've seen it live. Even the highest quality cameras and streaming can't capture the essence.

Reactions: yoass and MaLin2.0
Jan 2018
Any ideas for this to work for table tennis?

giphy.gif

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Seeing elite table tennis live is completely different than on YouTube. It's hard for people to know what they are missing out on until they've seen it live. Even the highest quality cameras and streaming can't capture the essence.

One thing that really caught my eye watching it live is how big the Chinese and South Korea players are compared to the rest of the Asian players from say Japan and Taiwan.

Chuang Chih-yuan walked past me and his tiny and I'm not a big guy. Xu Xin and other Chinese men massive. South Korean men moster size. I think as game has evolved power game has been key for countries like Sweden and Germany being able to stay consistently in team top 10 rankings being able to over power most other countries.

Even the ladies from China.... Chen Meng, Ding Ning, Wang Manyu big size. Japanese girls are dolls in comparison Hirano, Kasumi, Mima, Shibata tiny girls.

Jan 2018
At this rate, we may witness a "bubble" WTTC/Olympics where the New World is exempt from participating...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
One thing that really caught my eye watching it live is how big the Chinese and South Korea players are compared to the rest of the Asian players from say Japan and Taiwan.

Chuang Chih-yuan walked past me and his tiny and I'm not a big guy. Xu Xin and other Chinese men massive. South Korean men moster size. I think as game has evolved power game has been key for countries like Sweden and Germany being able to stay consistently in team top 10 rankings being able to over power most other countries.

Even the ladies from China.... Chen Meng, Ding Ning, Wang Manyu big size. Japanese girls are dolls in comparison Hirano, Kasumi, Mima, Shibata tiny girls.

Absolutely. The South Korean team highly emphasizes physical training, maybe even more so than the Chinese National Team, so those guys are in crazy good physical condition.

Most of the CNT men are surprisingly large in person, with the exception of Lin Gaoyuan. Ma Long in particular is more physically imposing than he looks on camera.

What I meant in the previous post is more the speed of the ball. Even the highest quality cameras drastically reduce how rocket-like the balls truly are in person.

Reactions: MaLin2.0
Jan 2018
"We're prepared to be criticized heavily."

JTTA to hold "training camp" in collaboration with USATT in Houston and Florida?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
holding the Japan Open in Qatar ?

Why not?

I think only issues will be logistics getting players to and from their countries. Do Qatar want players form US coming in like Lily Zhang? Or from Brazil Hugo Calderano? Could be a new location descrimination.

Personally love idea but appears con's will outweigh the pro's.

Jan 2018
http://mao.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/pingpong/1585528085/l50
915 名前:名無しQ(・∀・)ノ゜サァン!! 2020/07/13(月) 23:17:23.53 ID:GB1BL7ST
今の東京や世界の状況を見ると延期された来年の東京五輪も中止になる可能性が高そうだな
そうなったら五輪に向けて今必死に練習してる五輪出場が確定した選手たちは悲惨すぎるな
ただ、中止になる可能性大なんじゃないかと思い始めてる選手は多そうではあるが
ワクチンや治療薬の完成は来年の秋以降らしいから、どう見ても五輪開催なんて無理だろうし
そうなると一番悲惨なのは平野かもな。既に五輪出場歴がある石川や伊藤と違って、
平野は今回五輪に出られなかったら一生五輪に出られずに終わる可能性もあるだろうし
4年後のパリ五輪は大魔王伊藤に加えて、長崎と木原も台頭してそうだし、
早田もさらに強くなってる可能性もあるだろうから、平野が落選しても全然おかしくない
915 Name: Anonymous Q (・∀・) ノノSAN!! 2020/07/13 (Mon) 23:17:23.53 ID:GB1BL7ST
Looking at the current situation in Tokyo and the world, it seems likely that the postponed Tokyo Olympics next year will also be canceled.
When that happens, the players who are now practicing desperately for the Olympics are definitely too miserable.
However, it seems that many players are starting to think that there is a high possibility that it will be canceled.
It seems that it will be impossible to hold the Olympics because it seems that vaccines and medicines will only be completed after next autumn.
If that happens, Hirano will have it the worst. Unlike Ishikawa and Ito who have already participated in the Olympics,
if Hirano can't participate in the Olympics this time, she may end up without playing the Olympics for a lifetime.
4 years later, in addition to Ito the Great Demon King, the Olympics in Paris will also see Nagasaki and Kihara rising.
It's possible that Hayata will be even stronger, so it wouldn't be strange for Hirano to drop out.