2020 World Team Table Tennis Championships

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
So, I guess after Ishikawa senpai retires, the favourites for Paris 2024 will be Ito, Hirano, Hayata and Nagasaki?

Kato: Gonna get you all!
Dl5t262VAAEjUWa-1080x1080.jpg

Jan 2018
Lol. And if you include the 2020 WTTC Men's representatives in the mix, 7 out of the 8 players who will play in Part 2 of the 2020 Japan All-Star Match (Battle of the Sexes) will be lefty players, with Harimoto being the lone righty.

With the abundance of lefties, soon, gone will be the days where natural right-handed players train to play table tennis with their left hand. It might be the other way around in the future with natural left-handed players training to be righties in table tennis. Haha. ;)

Never knew Japan would be this "far-left." Rallys even published an article on that. Lefties in Japanese table tennis are heavily over-represented even compared to baseball and badminton.

https://rallys.online/read/southpaw-0407/

Reminds me of Grubba, a lefty, playing with right hand instead.

http://amerski.blogspot.com/2017/01/andrzej-grubba-nie-ma-nastepcow-w.html
Fot.%2BW%25C5%2582odzimierz%2BAmerski%2B190.jpg

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Kato: Gonna get you all!
cache.php

Is that why she was classified as "T-League representative" instead? Because she's the ZYL of the Japanese women.

Also, I've noticed that you translated "日本代表男/女子" as "Japan's representatives" while apacible chose "Japan's WTTC M/F Representatives". Hmm? If it's indeed referring to Japan's representative as in national team representatives, then Kato is really the unwanted one ~

Reactions: MaLin2.0
Jan 2018
Not bad. 363% over the goal. Roughly US$103,000.
pHCBPWR.png

Jan 2018
Is that why she was classified as "T-League representative" instead? Because she's the ZYL of the Japanese women.

Also, I've noticed that you translated "日本代表男/女子" as "Japan's representatives" while apacible chose "Japan's WTTC M/F Representatives". Hmm? If it's indeed referring to Japan's representative as in national team representatives, then Kato is really the unwanted one ~

She is the poster girl on the crowdfunding page, along with Harimoto. As of April 1st, she's part of the 6-member national team. I guess they've always had her in mind to lead the opposing team. A chance to redeem/avenge herself?

The folks actually use the term "日本代表" interchangeably to refer to the national team and/or team selection for WTTC/Olympics/World Cup/Asian Cup etc. Poor Kato sticking out like a sore thumb. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Janard
Jan 2018
Things aren't going well for the KTTA, despite the country handling the pandemic better than Japan.

https://www.hankyung.com/sports/article/202008273578Y
대한탁구협회는 코로나19 재확산으로 지역사회 감염 위험성이 매우 심각해져 내달 2~9일 경북 김천실내체육관에서 열 예정이던 제66회 전국남녀종별선수권대회 개최를 잠정 연기한다고 27일 밝혔다.

내달 12~16일 김천에서 열릴 예정이던 2020 실업연맹전도 잠정 연기하기로 했다.

또 9월 7~9일 충남 청양에서 치르기로 한 제58회 전국남녀중고학생종별대회도 마찬가지로 잠정 연기됐다.

탁구협회 관계자는 "이러다가 한 해를 아무것도 못 하고 보내게 될까 두렵다"고 말했다.
The Korea Table Tennis Association announced on the 27th that it will temporarily postpone the hosting of the 66th National Men's and Women's Sports Championships, which were scheduled to be held at the Gimcheon Indoor Gymnasium in Gyeongbuk on the 2nd to 9th of next month, as the risk of community infection has become very serious due to the re-proliferation of Corona 19.

The 2020 Unemployment Alliance tournament, which was scheduled to be held in Gimcheon on the 12th to 16th of next month, has been temporarily postponed.

In addition, the 58th National Men's and Women's Middle and High School competitions, scheduled to be held in Cheongyang, Chungcheongnam-do on September 7-9, has also temporarily postponed.

"If it goes on like this, I'm worried that I can't do anything for the year," said an official from the table tennis association.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Jeon emerged the only player listed outside the top four names to book a place in the penultimate round; her quarter-final women’s singles success being gained in a most dramatic manner.

Jan 2018
Live stream placeholder for 2020 Japan All-Star Dream Match, 9/14 17:58 Japan Standard Time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
日本人女子選手らしくない ー 力強いフォアハンドドライブ
Hayata is described as having a strong forehand drive that is uncharacteristic of Japanese women

If that isn't a self burn I don't know what is

Who needs a forehand drive if a slappy forehand is equally fatal.

Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 3.51.37 pm.jpg

Reactions: quanghuysk
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019

One of the more notable part for me starts at the 32 minute mark of the video. It talks about AGM proposition 16 where JTTA proposed that the service rule be changed. The full text can be found on page 108 of this document: https://documents.ittf.sport/sites/default/files/public/2020-08/2020_AGM_documents_1.pdf and I have copied the relevant portions below:

Proposition 16 proposed by the Japan Table Tennis Association Effective 1st January 2021 (3/4 majority required):

"To amend 2.6.2:The server shall then project the ball near vertically upwards, without imparting spin, so that it rises at least
above their head height(instead of at least 16cm) after leaving the palm of the free hand and then falls without touching anything before being struck.”

”Rationale:To make clearer the point of decision on fault services. But this rule will not apply for playersof elderly person or players of age below 9 years of age, different rule shall be applied."

JTTA apparently forgot that some of the best servers on their team (e.g. Ito, Hayata, Hirano) have very effective shovel serves, and while their shovel serves generally comply with the 16cm rule, they do not consistently toss the ball above their head height when they do these shovel serves. It's like JTTA is trying to undermine their own team and get their own players faulted on their serves. Haha. I'm guessing that the proposed rule change by the JTTA might have been filed with the ITTF back when Japanese players were known for their high-toss serves such as when Fukuhara and Ishikawa were leading the team but it seems that majority of the team has shifted to mostly shovel serves. (Even Ishikawa is serving more shovel serves now).

Anyway, if you start watching from the 32 minute mark, it appears JTTA, realizing the potential danger of the passing of this new rule, sent a note to ITTF begging that if the rule change gets passed, that it apply the service rule change only in 2022, which is after the 2020+1 Olympics. If the service rule does get passed and ITTF is firm that it should be effective next year, a lot of players are going to have to adjust their serves just before the Olympics.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
One of the more notable part for me starts at the 32 minute mark of the video. It talks about AGM proposition 16 where JTTA proposed that the service rule be changed. The full text can be found on page 108 of this document: https://documents.ittf.sport/sites/default/files/public/2020-08/2020_AGM_documents_1.pdf and I have copied the relevant portions below:

Proposition 16 proposed by the Japan Table Tennis Association Effective 1st January 2021 (3/4 majority required):

"To amend 2.6.2:The server shall then project the ball near vertically upwards, without imparting spin, so that it rises at least
above their head height(instead of at least 16cm) after leaving the palm of the free hand and then falls without touching anything before being struck.”

”Rationale:To make clearer the point of decision on fault services. But this rule will not apply for playersof elderly person or players of age below 9 years of age, different rule shall be applied."

JTTA apparently forgot that some of the best servers on their team (e.g. Ito, Hayata, Hirano) have very effective shovel serves, and while their shovel serves generally comply with the 16cm rule, they do not consistently toss the ball above their head height when they do these shovel serves. It's like JTTA is trying to undermine their own team and get their own players faulted on their serves. Haha. I'm guessing that the proposed rule change by the JTTA might have been filed with the ITTF back when Japanese players were known for their high-toss serves such as when Fukuhara and Ishikawa were leading the team but it seems that majority of the team has shifted to mostly shovel serves. (Even Ishikawa is serving more shovel serves now).

Anyway, if you start watching from the 32 minute mark, it appears JTTA, realizing the potential danger of the passing of this new rule, sent a note to ITTF begging that if the rule change gets passed, that it apply the service rule change only in 2022, which is after the 2020+1 Olympics. If the service rule does get passed and ITTF is firm that it should be effective next year, a lot of players are going to have to adjust their serves just before the Olympics.

Lol. Wasn't JTTA also the one who suggested all the changes (size and material) to the ball?

Actually, is there consensus over what counts as "near vertical" tosses? I can't find any specifics in the ITTF handbook but the TTR/Hawk-eye technology seems to classify tosses within 30 degrees as legal?

Jan 2018

15292337768770c50df9b3c

Jan 2018
https://www.daily.co.jp/general/2020/09/10/0013682014.shtml
 混合ダブルスでは男女が一緒にプレーすることはあるものの、シングルス形式で男子選手と女子選手が試合で対戦することはない。ましてや日本代表のトップ選手同士が対戦するとあって貴重な機会となりそうだが、女子随一のパワフルな打球を誇る、全日本女王の早田ひな(日本生命)は「男子選手の技術、戦術のうまさを肌で感じたい。私のフォアドライブ、パワードライブがどこまで通用するか楽しみ」と腕をぶした。

ただ、男子選手としては勝って当たり前な部分もあるだけに、妙な重圧も懸かりそうだ。東京五輪代表の丹羽孝希(スヴェンソン)は「女子選手と対戦するのは楽しみにしている」と言いつつも、「(男子に)すごく不利な条件だと思うが、勝てるよう頑張りたい」と苦笑いを浮かべた。

水谷隼(木下グループ)は「今回の特別ルールでは失点しなければ交代しないので、(無失点を続けて)ずっと周りの選手に回さないようにしたい」と強気の“完封”宣言。それを隣で聞いた森薗政崇(BOBSON)は「水谷さんが全部勝ってくれるそうなので、お任せします(笑)」と同調した。
In mixed doubles, men and women may play together, but men and women do not play in a singles format. Even more, it seems to be a valuable opportunity for the top players of the Japanese national team to play against each other, but Hayata Hina(Nippon Life), who boasts the most powerful hitting for women, said, "I want to feel the skill and tactics of male players. I'm looking forward to seeing how well my FH drive and power drive will work."

However, as a male player, it's only natural to win, so it seems that weird pressure will be applied. Niwa Koki(Svenson), the representative of the Tokyo Olympics, said, "I'm looking forward to playing against female players," but went on to say with a bitter smile, "I think it's a very disadvantageous condition (for boys), but I want to do my best to win."

Mizutani Jun(Kinoshita Group) made a "shutout" statement: "The special rules this time is that you will not be replaced unless points are lost, so I hope(without losing points) not to transfer to the surrounding players." Masataka Morizono(Bobson), who heard it nearby, replied, "Mizutani-san will win everything, so I'll leave it to you (LOL)."

Last edited: