What ingredients makes rubbers sticky?

says Hi, I am a life-long table tennis enthusiast and...
Mar 2014
I tried to find a blog series that I read several years ago, written by a physics Ph.D-student (I think) explaining various aspects of TT in a scientific manner. For example, whether to combine hard blades with soft, medium or hard rubbers; or why Chinese rubbers result in the highest amount of top-end spin, and so on. But for the life of me, I can't find it again.

In that series, he stipulated that Chinese rubbers have a greater proportion of damaged polymers acting as 'fingers' (what makes them tacky/sticky) and grabbing onto the tiny indentations of TT balls, allowing for greater control when generating spin.

Perhaps someone recognizes what I am talking about and could post the link here, provided it still exists?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Last edited:
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
[size=+2]AMERICAN FATHER TO THE H3 RUBBER.[/size]
https://patents.google.com/patent/US2035698
Dr. Harry Fisher, US rubber expert, had been the first one to do it, back in 1932. Super-duper tacky rubber material.
Unlike the sticky climbing shoes, table tennis rubber sheet is a ready-made vulcanizate plus some nitroso additives.

Last edited:
Digging through old messages, I think it was called "Thoughts on table tennis"
I know the article you talk about as I read snippets of it on a UK TT equipment website...

The web page I found it in was this...

https://www.ttequipment.co.uk/equipment-advice/rubbers-information/rubber-types-tacky-vs-non-tacky/

That page does say the original authors website is unavailable. When you click the link it seems to say that the "thoughtsontabletennis" website is now private ?

Mar 2014
Brilliant. Thank you very much. I did try to contact the owner of the blog to see if we can get to access to it again since it was an excellent series.