Forehand rubber for hitter ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Hello,

My friend plays with an all+ blade with carbon ; V47 on FH ; short pips on BH. He hits on both side but he struggles to loop backspin on his forehand. I think he may be better off with a softer rubber on his forehand but not fully sure what rubber could be nice to also hit

I was mainly thinking about a 42° rubber like mantra S, R42 or DNA S. Maybe more mantra S as it has a good grip and a more direct trajectory (for hitting). Also it could be nice if it's not too spin sensitive

What do you think about the forehand rubber ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Inverted only?

In that case, I find soft rubbers not as satisfying to hit with. Less direct, angle discrepancies depending on impact force etc.

Mantra H and DNA H both drive and smash very well. So does older Tensors like G1, Xplode which have slightly harder (crisper) topsheets but medium soft sponge.

Reactions: Wister
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Yes only inverted because he already has a short pips on BH.

Yes i'm not sure he'll fully gain to have more safety on open up on backspin but less efficiency on hitting. But a softer rubber may be really useful as his forehand loop on backspin is done mainly with the arm and lack a bit of hand speed so it's not so easy to engage the rubber well. That's why i'd aim a softer rubber that still have nice hitting capabilities

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Hi Wister, some assistance always feels good, but it won't help in the long run.

A mediocre loop aided by soft rubbers will become sitting ducks against better players. Sooner or later, he will have to adapt, so IMO better to train sooner.

FYI, I'm not a "high level" player, but I learned to loop with short pips on very hard blades. Your friend will get the hang of it...eventually.

Reactions: yoass
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I feel that If he hits like in flat hit there are No real reason to have inverted. The real and big advantage with inverted is that you can create spin.

On the other hand, since it is possible to create spin inverted is more sensitive to incoming spin.

I recommend him to try short pimple on the forehand aswell. As long as the short pimple rubbers are soft and with grip he still Will have some safety.

Nothing wrong width dubble pips. We need to focus on the strengths and build the game around it.

This user has no status.
I feel that If he hits like in flat hit there are No real reason to have inverted. The real and big advantage with inverted is that you can create spin.

On the other hand, since it is possible to create spin inverted is more sensitive to incoming spin.

I recommend him to try short pimple on the forehand aswell. As long as the short pimple rubbers are soft and with grip he still Will have some safety.

Nothing wrong width dubble pips. We need to focus on the strengths and build the game around it.
I'm not very familiar with short pimples so do you have any recommendations for the soft variety with grip?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Tell him to try a slow loop with a nice body movement bringing the racket from the floor to the front of his head. I believe all he needs is pratice and not a different rubber.

I agree in theory but he may not have enough training time to develop a nice full body shot. Also i think a too hard to play rubber might hurt the confidence (and thus relaxation) he needs to do well the shot

I think i will lent him my (old) mantra S to see if it may useful to play softer

But finally it may be a good idea to play short pips even on the forehand. What is a short pips that is pretty grippy in order to be able to lift half long ball on the forehand ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Sorry to sound negative, but switching equipment while not having fundamental strokes is a bad idea, he will have much more trouble "lifting" with short pips.

That being said, if he wants to explore I'd first recommend getting the same short pips he has now on both sides. If not sure, Victas 102, Blowfish, Spinpips (Red or 21) all have good grip and are soft. 802-40 is also great, but might not be very effective with an ALL blade.

Cheers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Think hitting is as fundamental stroke as looping. Some people are naturally better at hitting. I think he should try to learn to loop But i also think it is smart to try to embrace out strengths. If he works alot at looping But are still much more naturally better at hitting i think it is stupid to still play with inverted.