Hittinh myself when I serve

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Hi guys, I'm just wondering... Do you guys hit the side of the racket on yourself on serves too? When I serve heavy backspin/sidespin serves I end up hitting myself and that's now a problem because I'm literally destroying my rubber... Am I using the wrong technique? Or that's supposed to be normal? WhatsApp Image 2020-01-17 at 01.40.04.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Read 1 reviews
I don't normally hit myself when serving, but it could happen if you use a lot of speed and power to generate more spin.

Hugo himself said that he hits his stomach because of his service.
(at 28:24)

https://youtu.be/Y8UW7oTPr14?t=1704

Still, I'm pretty sure you shouldn't be destroying your rubbers because of that. Maybe you could try to tighten your grip during or slightly after contact with the ball to slow/stop your racket before it hits you.

Reactions: bobpuls
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think some people Do it and it is pretty normal. But i Do not think it is normal to destroy your rubber from it. Quality issues? Use edgetape?

This user has no status.
I have seen players who hit themselves in the forehaed doing topspins but never while serving hehehe

I used to do this and one particularly bad goose-egg on my forehead is what prompted me to get a coach. The human body does weird things when you try to make it react quickly under stress...