Opinions on Tenergy 05 & Tenergy 80

If someone have tried any one of 'em, please comment on this thread on your experience with it. I want to change my BH rubber to one of the two, and I'm still deciding.

I've searched through the web, and they all described them as "05 more spin but less speed than 64, and 80 is the perfect blend, balance of speed and spin". But I want more subjective opinions, below these types of superficial information.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
says .
says .
Feb 2019
Read 2 reviews
These things you mentioned are not superficial, but quite true: 05 has the least speed, but highest arc and spin capability while also being most sensitive to spin. 64 has the lowest arc and spin and sensitivity, but highest speed. 80 is in the middle of all things.
I played all of them and found 80 quite good on BH for everything. You could also try Rozena, especially if you are a developing player. It is a little more forgiving than Tenergy series, while still having good speed

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
These things you mentioned are not superficial, but quite true: 05 has the least speed, but highest arc and spin capability while also being most sensitive to spin. 64 has the lowest arc and spin and sensitivity, but highest speed. 80 is in the middle of all things.
I played all of them and found 80 quite good on BH for everything. You could also try Rozena, especially if you are a developing player. It is a little more forgiving than Tenergy series, while still having good speed

Which rubber from Tenergy series do you think is more similar to Rozena?
I've read that Rozena has similar pips strutcture to 80, so theoretically it would resemble more Tenergy 80, but there are many paople that says that Rozena is a toned down 05...

T05: Higher throw angle/arc (as previously mentioned above) "bouncier" than T80. More sensitive to incoming spin. Need to be more conscious of timing and bat angle during impact due to less control than T80.

T80: More linear/direct on drives. Not as high arc/throw angle, not as bouncy as T05 imo, even though I believe they have the same sponge, and not as sensitive to incoming spin. A bit more "forgiving" than T05 due to having a bit more control.

These are coming from using both rubbers mainly on BH for 10-12 months each. Take this (and almost every other user experience/review you read on equipment) with a grain of salt as it is only from my experience. Hope this helps.

If someone have tried any one of 'em, please comment on this thread on your experience with it. I want to change my BH rubber to one of the two, and I'm still deciding.

I've searched through the web, and they all described them as "05 more spin but less speed than 64, and 80 is the perfect blend, balance of speed and spin". But I want more subjective opinions, below these types of superficial information.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
They are both good. Many many excellent players use both those rubbers. If you haven't used either one before you won't notice any difference. If you play in a decent sized club you could probably find people with the same blade who use t05 and t80. Like viscaria or tb alc, popular bty blades. Do a blind test (no peeking) and see if you can tell the difference.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have used T05, T05FX and T64 on BH. Whichever one I was using at the time was the one I liked best. :) They are all excellent. I have tried T80 a few times and I am sure it would fall into the same category as what I said above. :)

Do as Brs said, try at club from people who have and see what you feel.

Reactions: Matthias Ngai
Thanks for all of your suggestions, I think I will change to the T80. :D

My coach actually advised me to buy a Hurricane in 38 degree for my BH. I've tried it, and it is very controlling in terms of speed, but very sensitive to incoming speed. So I think I would change to a Tenergy to improve consistency. Zhang Jike also used the T80 instead of T05, and from my observation T80 allows either hitting and looping style movements, and I want that variety of options the rubber provides. Compared to the Hurricane, were you have to constantly loop forward and accelerate, in order to create a devastating effect.

When I was still using the Acuda S3, it is very speedy indeed. I'm always having trouble with blocking or looping, and I'm very bad in the receive, flicks is near impossible, and everything is just horrendous. I can already imagine how I would win back the opponents that I've lost against before, with the T80. :cool:

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Thanks for all of your suggestions, I think I will change to the T80. :D

My coach actually advised me to buy a Hurricane in 38 degree for my BH. I've tried it, and it is very controlling in terms of speed, but very sensitive to incoming speed. So I think I would change to a Tenergy to improve consistency. Zhang Jike also used the T80 instead of T05, and from my observation T80 allows either hitting and looping style movements, and I want that variety of options the rubber provides. Compared to the Hurricane, were you have to constantly loop forward and accelerate, in order to create a devastating effect.

When I was still using the Acuda S3, it is very speedy indeed. I'm always having trouble with blocking or looping, and I'm very bad in the receive, flicks is near impossible, and everything is just horrendous. I can already imagine how I would win back the opponents that I've lost against before, with the T80. :cool:

Wait till you try Omega 7 and realize what they mean when they say "anything can be looped", then look into the Dignics series. After maybe 2 years and burning through 5-6 sheets of those "premium stuff", pick up another sheet of the Acuda and be enlightened by how you can do the exact same things.

Welcome to the rabbit hole, at least one end of it.

Reactions: yoass
Wait till you try Omega 7 and realize what they mean when they say "anything can be looped", then look into the Dignics series. After maybe 2 years and burning through 5-6 sheets of those "premium stuff", pick up another sheet of the Acuda and be enlightened by how you can do the exact same things.

Welcome to the rabbit hole, at least one end of it.

It's just my preference, different rubbers used by different handler would have a different effect.

But if you're a proficient looper, you would want a harder rubber. Maybe a springy one for the BH, and a tacky one for the FH. That's my preference.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Zhang Jike also used the T80 instead of T05,

Where did you get this info. At his top level ZJK used T64. Somewhere in the middle of that period where ZJK was winning, he switched to T05FX and then T05. He may have played with T80 at some point as well, but not when he was at his best.

But what does it say that he played with those three for what you should use? Probably nothing since I doubt you are ZJK.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have been training table tennis for 9-10 yrs, and i'm confident with my own skills.

Yes after some more research he used T64 in his prime, but now he switched to the T80.

Now? Now he does fashion modeling. ZJK is not playing now. What does it matter what is on his racket now. And, can you confirm this? When he was a top player, he used T64 and for a short period T05FX and then T05. But I am not sure if he went back to T64 at some point.

Nevertheless, T80 is a fine rubber. So ZJK would have been fine using it as well.

Reactions: lasta
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
Now? Now he does fashion modeling. ZJK is not playing now. What does it matter what is on his racket now. And, can you confirm this? When he was a top player, he used T64 and for a short period T05FX and then T05. But I am not sure if he went back to T64 at some point.

Nevertheless, T80 is a fine rubber. So ZJK would have been fine using it as well.

Sorry Carl but this time you are not correct. He used Tenergy 80 later and it’s also written on Butterfly‘s page.

https://www.butterfly.co.jp/players/detail/zhang-jike.html