Opinions on Tenergy 05 & Tenergy 80

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Sorry Carl but this time you are not correct. He used Tenergy 80 later and it’s also written on Butterfly‘s page.

https://www.butterfly.co.jp/players/detail/zhang-jike.html

I don't always trust what the brands say their players use. I have seen Stiga say that XX played with Calibra and FZD played with an Infinity and Calibra. Got any photos that show ZJK's racket with T80 and which tournaments it was in?

I don't know how what I said can possibly be WRONG. I said:

"What does it matter what is on his racket now. And can you confirm this?"

So, can you show photos of him from tournaments using T80? I am totally fine with the idea he may have.

But I am confident that while he was still playing and near the top of his game, he used T64, T05FX and T05.

When did he change to T80 and what tournaments did he use it in? I am not saying anything about whether he did or not. I am asking WHEN DID HE ACTUALLY USE IT?

If it was later than the 2015 WTTC, I don't think he ever even played close to the top of his game after 2015.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
ZJK /possibly/ switched to T80 in 2019.
That's why I asked for a link to some eventual matches during 2019.

And if he "switched" in 2019, then he switched while he was primarily modeling. :) Which is also why, when I first commented, and when I second commented, I asked for photos from matches.

But I like that you also add "possibly", and if he "switched" in 2019, is it anything more than Butterfly marketing rather than something meaningful? Just like Stiga used to claim Xu Xin used Calibra rubbers. In their adds he did. But not in matches. :)

Now ZJK may have legitimately changed to T80. I just would like to see photos from a real match where he is using it to see. I am comfortable with the fact that he could use it. But did he ever use it in competition and how many competitions?

Last edited:
Reactions: splasher78
Having played with all… switching between T05 and Rozena is easy, while T80 takes quite a bit of adjustment in the short game, and when opening up heavy backspin mainly.

Having to read your comment a second time, can you elaborate more on the second part of the sentence?

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Having to read your comment a second time, can you elaborate more on the second part of the sentence?

Certainly. This is just $.02 of course. With T05, I could open heavy backspin ball quite easily and confidently. When doing so, it was relatively easy to vary pace, spin, depth.

With T80, I found it hard to brush heavy backspin for a slow and spinny opening. Hard, spinny and deep went well, probably just as well as with T05. And T80 required a different contact, different hit angle. It took quite a bit of adapting to it.

I did prefer T80 in the short game, and for flicks and blocks and can see why for some it's a great BH rubber.

Certainly. This is just $.02 of course. With T05, I could open heavy backspin ball quite easily and confidently. When doing so, it was relatively easy to vary pace, spin, depth.

With T80, I found it hard to brush heavy backspin for a slow and spinny opening. Hard, spinny and deep went well, probably just as well as with T05. And T80 required a different contact, different hit angle. It took quite a bit of adapting to it.

I did prefer T80 in the short game, and for flicks and blocks and can see why for some it's a great BH rubber.

Noted with thanks. In the long run, I am confident that I can adapt to the changes. Generally if you're looping with a harder rubber, you would want to hit the ball a bit more compared to a softer rubber, am I right?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Ok fine since you guys are so intrigued when Zhang Jike is mentioned, here is the link of proof that he did in fact changed to the T80.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuAYbAiGhDQ

This is an EmRatThich video where he takes footage straight from an advertisement. Show me photos from actual matches that show he is using T80. Again, he may have at some point. But where are photos of his racket with T80 on it from an actual match. Him saying he is using it for a Butterfly advertisement that ERT puts in a video does not show the match play. So, I don't think that is proof.

I can show you footage of Stiga showing Xu Xin claiming he used Calibra. But he never did use it in a match. Not on either side.

Maybe he did switch. I am not hung up on it. But a video of ERT taking excerpts from a Butterfly add is not proof of anything but consumer vulnerability and corporations taking advantage of it. And someone switching for one or two matches is not the same as someone switching and using the rubber for several years.

BTW: a flaw that show the video is not very accurate: ZJK says he is using that setup since 2011. T80 did not come out till years later than 2011. And in 2011 ZJK was definitely using T64. So, this video DEFINITELY does not prove anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: splasher78