Question about service rules

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
There is no specific rules stating amount of seconds you can take.

However play is supposed to be continuous, so an umpire could warn him and give him a yellow card at some point after a warning if he kept doing it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
Delaying the game can result to be given a yellow cardm

There are no official umpires in the Veteran Team Championship, that's the problem.
Players do the umpire duties, so it's pretty subjective and tend to support their teammates

These things is pretty subjective. If you want to slow down the pace a bit, find ways to just do it naturally and smoothly.

And yes it is pretty irritating, which is actually what you want for your opponent.

I agree, he's been told by many opponents that 's irritating but he doesn't seem to care. I believe he does it on purpose...

says Aging is a killer
There are no official umpires in the Veteran Team Championship, that's the problem.
Players do the umpire duties, so it's pretty subjective and tend to support their teammates

I agree, he's been told by many opponents that 's irritating but he doesn't seem to care. I believe he does it on purpose...

The server cannot serve if the receiver is not ready.
When he starts his antics, put your bat on the table and wait. He will then notice that you are not ready. You will ask, "are you going to serve in a reasonable time?" If he says anything nasty, just tell him that you won't be receiving until he stops his nonsense. This impasse will bring the referee to the table. If not, it's a war of nerves as to who breaks first. The key is to stick to the limits of the particular situation, then stand your ground accordingly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
3.4.4.1 Play shall be continuous throughout an individual match except that any playeris entitled to:3.4.4.1.1 an interval of up to 1 minute between successive games of an individualmatch;3.4.4.1.2 brief intervals for towelling after every 6 points from the start of each gameand at the change of ends in the last possible game of an individual match.

I have issued yellow cards to top players, for delaying their service and making their opponant stay down in the receive position for a long time. It's a clear 3.5.2.1 Misbehaveour offence.

In european champions league you have spesific competition rules: Up to 10 seconds after the previous rally finished, except for towelling after every 6 pointsfrom the start of each game, the serving player has to start the next rally. For long rallies(umpire decision) and during changing ends after the first player reaching 5 points in the lastpossible game, maximum 25 seconds are allowed.

Other leagues or tournaments may have rules like this in their spesific competition rules.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
3.4.4.1 Play shall be continuous throughout an individual match except that any playeris entitled to:3.4.4.1.1 an interval of up to 1 minute between successive games of an individualmatch;3.4.4.1.2 brief intervals for towelling after every 6 points from the start of each gameand at the change of ends in the last possible game of an individual match.

The problem is that "continuous play" is a little vague, when it comes to service time...

Mytoman;302860 I have issued yellow cards to top players said:
In european champions league you have spesific competition rules: [/B]Up to 10 seconds after the previous rally finished, except for towelling after every 6 pointsfrom the start of each game, the serving player has to start the next rally. For long rallies(umpire decision) and during changing ends after the first player reaching 5 points in the lastpossible game, maximum 25 seconds are allowedOther leagues or tournaments may have rules like this in their spesific competition rules.

So, if I understand correctly, what you are saying is that in European Championship the server has max 10 secs to serve?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
The problem is that "continuous play" is a little vague, when it comes to service time...

So, if I understand correctly, what you are saying is that in European Championship the server has max 10 secs to serve?

Continious play combined with misconduct is sufficient if the umpire sets an ok line in the match.

In European Champions League (not championships I think) you have 10 seconds from the rally ends with a point/let, until the ball is in play in the next rally. This is no big problem, as you have ball kids and mulitball system. For all practical purposes this is the same as in world tour and other ITTF events with ball kids and multiball. If you stall at service, you will get a "please play, or I will have to warn you" and then the yellow on the second or third maybe.

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
In my experience, at lower levels there are far more players who attempt to rush you the whole time and delight in serving before you are ready. They also seem to like hustling the umpire, wanting to start the next game before he or she has set the scoreboard back to zero !!

This user has no status.
In my experience, at lower levels there are far more players who attempt to rush you the whole time and delight in serving before you are ready. They also seem to like hustling the umpire, wanting to start the next game before he or she has set the scoreboard back to zero !!

Yup, that is my experience as well. My strategy is now very simple: I keep my non playing hand up until I’m actually in a ready position against such players. They will usually serve without even looking, I don’t move a bit and they usually apologize. I’ve never had any issue that way. After 4 or 5 times they usually take the hint and wait until I’m ready to serve.

I don’t take a unusually long amount of time to get ready, but I do breathe and get low which a lot of lower level players don’t do. Takes me about a second or so.

I previously rushed in to receive those serves and sure enough lost most points. Not anymore :) as an added bonus the server is generally slightly annoyed by this :)

Last edited:
Reactions: SrSTT and JHB