Ryu seung Min teaches Fh with ENG subtitles,meaning of "beat"?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
I think it means “rhythm” or, more properly, “pace”. In my native language, not Korean :))) but east asian, those 3 words are the same. You can also guess through the videos. He says it whenever the learners are moving/hitting a little too late or too early.

Reactions: Keven702
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
RSM is not teaching how to use the wrist to generate spin - it's the opposite. The player being coached is brushing the ball too much and therefore there is not enough power on the shot, hence RSM is telling him to use the wrist to adjust the bat so the contact is more solid and there is a loud cracking sound when it happens properly (as on nearly every loop drive made by RSM).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think he explains that when the ball comes fast, you do not have the time to go so much from right to left leg.

With the wrist i think the player are not so relaxed, he is tensed in his hand when he is looping so he get not wrist naturally. I think that if you loop correct and are relaxed i think you get movement in the wrist naturally as an extension of the forearm. I think it is more common to purposefully use the wrist against backspin.

This is what i think but not sure if am correct or not.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Tango K said:
I think it means “rhythm” or, more properly, “pace”. In my native language, not Korean :))) but east asian, those 3 words are the same. You can also guess through the videos. He says it whenever the learners are moving/hitting a little too late or too early.

Tango has said it about as right as anyone.

The Koreans love to use the word "Bak-Ja" a lot when describing how to step to the ball and impact at the right time.

The word Bak-Ja can literally mean the beat/rhythm, but in TT, it is how you have timed your step to the ball, your timing of planting foot, and your movement to = through impact.

An example would be that a player just doesn't step to the ball and impact it the very moment the foot hits the ground. That is too early (unless doing it dynamically in air before planting due to lack of time on the move to FH).

The recommended Bak-Ja for say a flip, would be to step in with foot under table, wait a little for ball to come deeper into impact zone, continue and channel that energy, then impact it.

The Bak-Ja in TT is meaning the when (moment + timing) and how long (duration) of the individual movements and impact.

In the English speaking TT world, I rarely here it expressed like this. Often, it is about "time it better" or something like that.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Who is right?

Almost ALL of the Korean-ex pros and elite amateur coaches I have been around are very open about there NOT being a single right answer in TT.

Every ball is different and so are the players' preferences, what they are trying to do, and what the opponent allowed them to do given the ball.

Most Korean coaches early on champion an approach that uses very little wrist in nearly every shot. That approach changes as they teach the flip, the serve, and the BH topspin vs underspin (and even then so many coaches never teach a slow heavy ball).

There are so many possible BH and FH shots given the different resultant speed/spin/direction/depth/break that it would be silly to say doing it just this way is right.

What just about every coach agrees upon is that effective stance, balance, movement and arrival on time on balance to the ball with a plan goes a long way to a good result.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
His wheels to get to a ball are unmatched. Dude is a master at transferring power to the ball.

All throughout the vid he was telling the amateur player his 100 percent swing of power input and 30 percent efficiency output of power transfer wasn't bothering him.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk