World Team Qualification Tournament 2020 | Tokyo Olympics

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
S. Korea is fielding Suh, Choi & Shin even against much weaker teams like Lithuania. I guess the other two Lees will just be benchwarmers? Jeon be like:

Jeon+Jihee+ITTF+World+Tour+Grand+Finals+j-zlILBOGa-l.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
S. Korea is fielding Suh, Choi & Shin even against much weaker teams like Lithuania. I guess the other two Lees will just be benchwarmers? Jeon be like:

View attachment 20617

Shin and more definitely Suh are part of the weakest team. Maybe you could argue that Choi and Shin are the doubles. But the other players not named Shin and Suh made it through the trials and are part of the strongest team. The real issue is that maybe the doubles pairing limits their options. This is a safe team though as Suh has played this role forever.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Shin and more definitely Suh are part of the weakest team. Maybe you could argue that Choi and Shin are the doubles. But the other players not named Shin and Suh made it through the trials and are part of the strongest team. The real issue is that maybe the doubles pairing limits their options. This is a safe team though as Suh has played this role forever.

Maybe I should have elaborated further but one of the reasons Yoo Nam-kyu (ex-head-coach of the women's team) decided to allocate 3 slots to the winners from the internal trials was because he felt that they needed a revised team if any breakthroughs were to be achieved as the current core players were not bringing the association to new heights. As such, the women's trials were conducted very differently from the men's. Instead of WR and round-robin, the elimination format was chosen which indeed produced very unexpected results. So if this 'odd' quintet owing to the addition of the two Lees was meant to 'upset the odds', then perhaps SKorea should have led with the Lees and Choi and the match against Lithuania would have been a good test-bed. It takes time for a fresh team to get into the groove. Then again, this 'safe team' as you have rightly pointed out was chosen by the new coach, not Yoo so maybe that explains why SKorea appears to be doing the exact opposite of what they had set out to do with the trials.

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Maybe I should have elaborated further but one of the reasons Yoo Nam-kyu (ex-head-coach of the women's team) decided to allocate 3 slots to the winners from the internal trials was because he felt that they needed a revised team if any breakthroughs were to be achieved as the current core players were not bringing the association to new heights. As such, the women's trials were conducted very differently from the men's. Instead of WR and round-robin, the elimination format was chosen which indeed produced very unexpected results. So if this 'odd' quintet owing to the addition of the two Lees was meant to 'upset the odds', then perhaps SKorea should have led with the Lees and Choi and the match against Lithuania would have been a good test-bed. It takes time for a fresh team to get into the groove. Then again, this 'safe team' as you have rightly pointed out was chosen by the new coach, not Yoo so maybe that explains why SKorea appears to be doing the exact opposite of what they had set out to do with the trials.
I hear you. I think the next match will give a fuller picture and then we can place our posts in context. I think what I should really have said is that this match by itself doesn't necessarily entail your conclusion.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
I hear you. I think the next match will give a fuller picture and then we can place our posts in context. I think what I should really have said is that this match by itself doesn't necessarily entail your conclusion.

Yeah, agree that my conclusion is likely to be premature. And I guess what I should have said as well is I don't see the promised 'new synergy' from this first match and hopefully we do in subsequent matches, or else it's really about the naturalisation issue more than anything.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yeah, agree that my conclusion is likely to be premature. And I guess what I should have said as well is I don't see the promised 'new synergy' from this first match and hopefully we do in subsequent matches, or else it's really about the naturalisation issue more than anything.

Well, as you said, Yoo Nam Kyu is gone so if this team plays both matches, it represents an acceptance by the new coach and possibly the whole Korean Association/team that the trials results as a whole were more fluke than form. I honestly believe that one-round single elimination trials are stupid. Multiple rounds are slightly less stupid but almost as bad. But if anyone has the results of the actual trials in Korea so we can see the format and results, then we can maybe see who beat who and see whether Yoo Nam Kyu was on to something or just trying to do something new for the sake of it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
I wonder how players will be awarded rating points? 250 for a victory in singles?
(a good case to add serious points to the rating in the absence of China and Japan ..)

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Well, as you said, Yoo Nam Kyu is gone so if this team plays both matches, it represents an acceptance by the new coach and possibly the whole Korean Association/team that the trials results as a whole were more fluke than form. I honestly believe that one-round single elimination trials are stupid. Multiple rounds are slightly less stupid but almost as bad. But if anyone has the results of the actual trials in Korea so we can see the format and results, then we can maybe see who beat who and see whether Yoo Nam Kyu was on to something or just trying to do something new for the sake of it.

You'll *bleep* bricks when you see it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Well, as you said, Yoo Nam Kyu is gone so if this team plays both matches, it represents an acceptance by the new coach and possibly the whole Korean Association/team that the trials results as a whole were more fluke than form.

Well, it's Suh, Choi & Shin again. Shin is a pretty decent doubles player though, I'll give her that. Both Lees will continue to be twin cheerleaders it seems.

Singapore vs Netherlands = table-hoggers.

M1: Li Jie's nifty switch between chopping and attacking gave Yu Mengyu/Lin Ye so much trouble and disrupted their momentum well. Li Jiao followed up with some really nice moves of her own too while showing why many penholders are good Doubles players.

M2: No surprises there although I expected Britt Eerland to take at least a game.

M3: Lucky for Yu Mengyu that Li Jie had to withdraw due to an injury. The Singaporean women's team does not do well against choppers in general.

M4: Lin Ye showing the world why people don't pay much attention to SEA Games and hence the low ranking points for SEA Games Singles Gold medalist.

M5: Li Jiao with some very effective and nasty blocks (particularly down the line to her opponent's BH) and looked set to turn the tide in her favour after winning game 2 despite being 4-8 down. Somehow, LJ lost her momentum (old age?) but gave WR#8 Feng Tianwei a run for her money.

If not for M3, Singapore might not have won. When push came to shove, only Feng Tianwei seemed dependable amidst all the allegations surrounding her expulsion from the national team.

Meanwhile, I was pleasantly surprised that the Singaporean men managed to force Hong Kong into the decider. Koen Pang stormed through Ho Kwan Kit (3-0) while Clarence Chew upset Wong Chun Ting (3-1). Interesting...

Last edited:
Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Well, it's Suh, Choi & Shin again. Shin is a pretty decent doubles player though, I'll give her that. Both Lees will continue to be twin cheerleaders it seems.

Singapore vs Netherlands = table-hoggers.

M1: Li Jie's nifty switch between chopping and attacking gave Yu Mengyu/Lin Ye so much trouble and disrupted their momentum well. Li Jiao followed up with some really nice moves of her own too while showing why many penholders are good Doubles players.

M2: No surprises there although I expected Britt Eerland to take at least a game.

M3: Lucky for Yu Mengyu that Li Jie had to withdraw due to an injury. The Singaporean women's team does not do well against choppers in general.

M4: Lin Ye showing the world why people don't pay much attention to SEA Games and hence the low ranking points for SEA Games Singles Gold medalist.

M5: Li Jiao with some very effective and nasty blocks (particularly down the line to her opponent's BH) and looked set to turn the tide in her favour after winning game 2 despite being 4-8 down. Somehow, LJ lost her momentum (old age?) but gave WR#8 Feng Tianwei a run for her money.

If not for M3, Singapore might not have won. When push came to shove, only Feng Tianwei seemed dependable amidst all the allegations surrounding her expulsion from the national team.

Meanwhile, I was pleasantly surprised that the Singaporean men managed to force Hong Kong into the decider. Koen Pang stormed through Ho Kwan Kit (3-0) while Clarence Chew upset Wong Chun Ting (3-1). Interesting...

It's a bit unfair what they have forced this team into. No Jeon Jihee or Yang Haeun who know how to do this in their sleep. They should have at least let Yoo Nam Kyu coach this team.

That said, PRK is the worst draw you can get on the women's side.

Last edited: