German Open 2020

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
I actually think that Patrick has a really good chance against XX, his power on his backhand and also on his forehand is insane. He has good serves and good mentality. Last time he came so close at Australia. This time its time to finish the job. But yeah also needs to get through the first round which is not gonna be easy as well.

Reactions: phorkyas and Janard
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Dam Cheng Hsien-Tzu just lost in 7.... Big fan of Chinese Taipei team but their performances are a hard pill to swallow at times. Hopefully her higher ranking compared to others in the team and good doubles pairing with CZY is enough to get her to Tokyo.

Think there are always positives to take out of a 4-3 loss, not many would know tough qualifying for main draws.

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Stirmate Kato useless as usual.

6tHT5Q5.png

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Well since you seem to understand the issue so well, why don't you propose your solution? Explain what would measure strength while not permitting the top players to play less. Other sports have played around with bonus points and ultimately stopped them.

And why don't you point out the cases when Hayata didn't meet such opponents and lost to say Lee Eunhye of Korea? Or her loss to Kato Miyu at the WTTC trials which set the tone for the year? Or her loss last year to Chineae players like Qiang Zhang who should be a level below her?

That table tennis is governed so strongly by national associations and related quotas is the problem but that affects everyone. Otherwise maybe the top 10 would be all Chinese on the women's side if all of them were allowed to play. Or maybe 9 Chinese and Mima Ito. But the point is that stop blaming the system primarily for Hayata's inconsistency. The old system may have helped her but it may have not as well. She had some bad losses as well.
I think people just cannot understand that if the player is not top 5 everything can happen. Ranking doesn't have to do with that. You can be lucky or not. I just compared last year result by Mizutani and Niwa, this close margin which finally took Niwa for olympic singles was due to luckiest draw and also by taking part in almost every competition.
My point is that if you are top 5 player, mostly you will win first few rounds, but if are not, your consistency vary in different tournaments everything can happen. Since the first round is only 16 players seeded you do not have much choice avoiding top players in second round.
Hayata had many chances last year which could make her be even top 10 now, but most of them she spoilt. Seems after wining japan champs she is in very good form and we should expect her beating everyone or at least fight equally against top chinese players.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I think people just cannot understand that if the player is not top 5 everything can happen. Ranking doesn't have to do with that. You can be lucky or not. I just compared last year result by Mizutani and Niwa, this close margin which finally took Niwa for olympic singles was due to luckiest draw and also by taking part in almost every competition.
My point is that if you are top 5 player, mostly you will win first few rounds, but if are not, your consistency vary in different tournaments everything can happen. Since the first round is only 16 players seeded you do not have much choice avoiding top players in second round.
Hayata had many chances last year which could make her be even top 10 now, but most of them she spoilt. Seems after wining japan champs she is in very good form and we should expect her beating everyone or at least fight equally against top chinese players.

Yeah, but beating your teammate for what I think is the first time ever after multiple defeats (and in a close match that could have gone either way) is not the same as taking on international opponents in the World Tour. If you doubt this, ask Zhou Qihao.

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Yeah, but beating your teammate for what I think is the first time ever after multiple defeats (and in a close match that could have gone either way) is not the same as taking on international opponents in the World Tour. If you doubt this, ask Zhou Qihao.
no doubt, totaly agree on this. I mentioned after new champs arised that I will take very close look how they will cope in germany where they can meet top world players, not only japanese who they can be more familiar with.
So all in all I have many doubts about hayata and yukija progressing to let's say semifinals.
In their potential (I think they are about top 20) everything depends on the luck with the main draw (I assume they will progres to the main draw).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
c38ba61ea8d3fd1fe9e92341274e251f94ca5fed.jpg 5ad5ad6eddc451da4c168d90a1fd5266d11632ed.jpg

72fa828ba61ea8d35b19f47f800a304e251f5896.jpg c0cb39dbb6fd52660010bc6fbc18972bd4073696.jpg

Hopefully we can see Ishikawa/Hirano vs Ding Ning/Sun Yingsha. Both pairs are in similar predicaments – the lefties who also happen to be captains of their respective teams are usually the ones who don't perform as well while the righties are the younger, swifter and more explosive ones.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
I have a question regarding the Olympic mix double qualification from this tournament.

Supposingly, there are 2 spots to be qualified from this tournament. Does it mean only the finalists can be qualified? How about if one of or both the finalists are those already qualified? Will the spots be inherited by the semi-finalists? If yes, which one of the semi-finalists can inherit since there is no bronze medal match? And what if the top 4 pairs are all those already qualified, e.g. XX/LSW, WCT/DHK, Mizutani/Ito, LYJ/CIC?

Or if one of or both the finalists are those already qualified, the quota will be considered as unused quota and will be reallocated to the next best-placed eligible mixed doubles pair, not yet qualified, from the May 2020 ITTF Olympic Mixed Doubles Ranking list?

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Jan 2018
8HehXem.png

US players are doing rather well here.

Jan 2018
I have a question regarding the Olympic mix double qualification from this tournament.

Supposingly, there are 2 spots to be qualified from this tournament. Does it mean only the finalists can be qualified? How about if one of or both the finalists are those already qualified? Will the spots be inherited by the semi-finalists? If yes, which one of the semi-finalists can inherit since there is no bronze medal match? And what if the top 4 pairs are all those already qualified, e.g. XX/LSW, WCT/DHK, Mizutani/Ito, LYJ/CIC?

Or if one of or both the finalists are those already qualified, the quota will be considered as unused quota and will be reallocated to the next best-placed eligible mixed doubles pair, not yet qualified, from the May 2020 ITTF Olympic Mixed Doubles Ranking list?

The only info available:

https://www.ittf.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/2020_WT_1_GER_PROSPECTUS-1.pdf
U0qG3EA.png

Theoretically, things will go according to WR in May but I've gotten used to all the ass pulling by ITTF.

Last edited: