Blade Lacquering

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
is it worth it or not? how does it affect the blades performance? thinking about lacquering harimoto alc

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
There are a lot of topics on this already, I recommend a search here or on Mytabletennis for deeper discussions.

Short answer: a thin layer keeps the blade from splintering when changing rubbers. Very small changes to feel, almost none to performance.

Thick, multiple coatings, and different types of varnish can help harden the top layers of wood. Generally increases low impact speed and sharpens the impact feel slightly. But you need a lot of layers to make a noticeable difference.

Reactions: lVegita
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
I agree on fast blades like the Viscaria. It’s very hard to feel the difference.

I recently sealed my very soft defensive blade after getting tired of splinters. I can absolutely feel the difference and the blade has gone from a slow DEF to a fairly standard ALL speed wise. It’s especially noticeable when looping from mid distance.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
I usually polish my blades instead of lacquering. You have to be careful though. You can't take off too much material. (i go 600 -> 1000 -> 2000 grit sandpaper) Again, if you take too much material, you will change playing characteristics.

Last edited:
Reactions: lVegita
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Hair spray before attaching rubber works great and zbso,utely wont change the way your blade plays. I would not use lacquers myself.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think enough has been covered here. For harder blades, not needed. For softer blades, personal choice.

But at a certain point I think the N + 1 rule might come into effect and say it is more worth it to buy an new blade. :)

Yet another reason to exercise the N + 1 rule. And, the N + 1 rule could come into effect if you chose not to seal or if you chose to seal. :)

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Obey the n + 1 rule.

And Rule 88.

Reactions: bricec
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
It's always stronger and harder to damage but you can lose torches of feeling during the game. The thicker the layer, the harder it will react

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I usually polish my blades instead of lacquering. You have to be careful though. You can't take off too much material. (i go 600 -> 1000 -> 2000 grit sandpaper) Again, if you take too much material, you will change playing characteristics.

First time hearing that. You say it helps from splintering?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
My experience with hair spray is that it doesn't do anything, still splinters. Go ahead with a very light layer of varnish (rub with a cloth). It's safe and I doubt you'll notice any difference in play (with a thin layer).

As said before, I like the feel of extra impact sharpness so I put multiple layers on most of my blades. 3 generous layers will change the blade feel. If you do this, make sure to leave at least 2-3 days for the varnish to cure, or you'll end up with a mess if you try to remove rubbers.