Help with a downgrade from Timo Boll ALC to an All wood blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
A little background about myself, I've been playing for about 6 years. I transitioned from Yinhe T-11+ to Timo Boll ALC a year ago. My current setup is TB ALC with T05 FH and Mantra M BH.

After a year, sometimee I feel in pressure matches and in very crucial moments in matches, my underspin serves which are ghost serves in normal circumstances drift so long that opponents easily attack and put me on the defensive. Exactly the same goes for pushes and drop shots.

I feel that moving to an all wood blade would help alleviate this issue.

Due to lack of availability of extensive TT equipment where I live (Karachi, Pakistan), there are not too many options. Some of the options are:

Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive
Donic Ovtcharov Feat (other Donic blades)
Stiga infinity/Intensity nct (not preferred due to splintering issues)
Joola blades

My ultimate goal is to slow down the speed of my blade for the time it will take to develop the touch needed and learn to hold the racket a little softly so that these touch shots don't drift long, while the slow blade will give me safety I need in the tournaments that come during this time.

After the time needed, if I feel I have developed the touch, I'll switch back to the TB ALC, hopefully keeping the shots under control during pressure situations.

Please let me know if I should even switch or not OR if the switch will be beneficial?

Thank you.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
P.S I would like a blade that has the vibration/feedback/feeling in the handle that TB ALC has

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
You're better off training short serves specifically, particularly under match situations and whatnot.

Your serves will likely still drift long with a slower blade if you're tense. If anything, it'd decrease your percentage on getting short serves across the net.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Timo Boll Spirit = Middle OFF mostly.

Donic Persson Power Play mostly OFF MINUS with feel and spin. AND that blade is dirt cheep and available most everywhere.

One of a hundred good choices in your situation.

Today, I just changed from Nexy Batos ALC (Literally the same speed class as TBS) to Tibhar Akkad al wood blade. I will use that setup a few months to get a little more touch going in my game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
À friend have the extra offensive. Seems very good and affordable.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Go with a slower rubber instead?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Go with a slower rubber instead?

If you want to downgrade, you always have to make compromises.
Slower rubbers are usually softer. So this will also affect your feeling.

I'm in the same situation actually and have ordered a Donic Waldner Off (coming from Viscaria-clone) blade. Will see how this works...

Reactions: Muhammad Saim
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
You're better off training short serves specifically, particularly under match situations and whatnot.

Your serves will likely still drift long with a slower blade if you're tense. If anything, it'd decrease your percentage on getting short serves across the net.
Services are all good in practice matches but in tournaments, which I might add are few and far between, serves go long and are easily attacked

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Services are all good in practice matches but in tournaments, which I might add are few and far between, serves go long and are easily attacked

Jog for 15 minutes and maybe play a practice game where you bet $5 on who wins (handicap if the opponent is weaker). Then practice serves. Usually people practice serves when relaxed and this makes the practice imprecise.

Also add stakes. Par Gerell for example doesn't leave practice unless he can serve 10 short topspin serves in a row.

The problem with blades is that one always needs effort to compensate to get what you are looking for. I would say change the blade if you think that on the whole, you are missing more than you should or if pushing short is a problem while power is not. But just for service, you will find yourself overcompensating in other situations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muhammad Saim

TTW

This user has no status.

TTW

This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Btf Korbel could be a very good choice. I have one and I love it.

+1 for this recommendation. Korbel is awesome blade.

I also think TB ALC is awesome, though TB ALC is fast, it is one of the best blades I have played with. I will suggest practice a bit more with this equipment before changing :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018

Attachments

• korbel_op.jpg
    korbel_op.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 600
Last edited:
Both are not available in Pakistan. I was waiting for your reply yogi. Should I even change my blade or work on my feel and touch. But that's difficult to do in match scenarios

What brands are available in your area?