Under €40 but is it any good? | Xiom Vega X Review

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
That was a "review" that I would expect from a complete novice in table tennis.
All I got from the review "Good amount of spin,speed and control for its price"....
No mention whatsoever to arc and trajectory, serving, short game and pushes, dwell time, flat hitting and blocking, chopping etc...
You can do much better than that.

Reactions: TTLOVE
says .
says .
Feb 2019
Read 2 reviews
Always like to watch your clips, Dan, but I also need to say, that previous reviews were a lot more interessting and informative. How about comparisons to other rubbers (you tested so much more than T05, although it is good to have that common fix point). How about arc, catapult, openers, block, smash, etc. ?
The same criticism to the Dignics80 review. This is such a good rubber and or deserves more than „5 things you need to know“...

you can do much better! Hope to see more in next reviews. Wouldn‘t be an arc and speed test with a Robot and a glued rubber on a piece of wood be something for you (like pathfinder pro did in the past)? Would add something rational and unique to your reviews, which, I think, pretty much people would appreciate ;)

Reactions: matzreenzi
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Is it me or am I seeing language inflation at work here?

As an old geezer, a prototypical match for a control rubber would be something like Tackiness D, Sriver FX, Varispin.

Coming from that, a fast, lively and grippy rubber like Vega Pro is a high end offensive rubber, already putting high demands on technique, footwork. High end, but not top end — the insanely fast, speedy, bouncy niche only controllable by the gifted elite few that also enjoy the benefit of a deep support system and have the opportunity and means to make the dedicated training effort over a long period of time.

This inflation is not a good thing, at its core. It gives way to unrealistic expectations, and hence a spiral of negative reinforcement to those lured, understandably because of inflation, into reaching above grasp.

Vega X looks great in Tom and Dan’s gameplay. Level adequate, I’d even say; it’s one of the few, if any, of these where both Dan and Tom showed real deep consistency.

That’s by no means “more lovely, and more temperate” (like a sonnetty summer’s day in Shakespeares cold and wet England), it’s a firecracker I’m seeing here — even though much wilder even stuff does exist. Let’s not go overboard.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Can anyone suggest a good blade for this Rubber along the 50-100$ range?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
No mention whatsoever to arc and trajectory, serving, short game and pushes, dwell time, flat hitting and blocking, chopping

But isn´t a video review quasi ideal for you to see most of this yourself?

I find this conclusion very worthwile:
"Good amount of spin,speed and control for its price"

For a budget rubber, it´s really good, but don´t expect it to rival the top of the range. Fair enough.
In this respect, I value XIOM´s own positioning of Vega and Omega series.
Unlike some guys on a German forum who praise the X to be on a par with newest Dignics, as if ESN was going to let go of top technology for little money to XIOM, with all due respect.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Tough crowd. I thought the essence was clear enough. The target is obviously a wide audience, and the video seemed to me to answer all of these questions to a good extent. Personal opinion, of course.

Indeed, I thought the review got most of the main points across. Don't think Dan's ever made reviews where he gets a robot to shoot a ball at a static bat to compare throw angles. Frankly, that'd be pretty boring - clearly that's not Dan's style, and this is reflected in his channel's popularity.

Is it me or am I seeing language inflation at work here?

As an old geezer, a prototypical match for a control rubber would be something like Tackiness D, Sriver FX, Varispin.

Coming from that, a fast, lively and grippy rubber like Vega Pro is a high end offensive rubber, already putting high demands on technique, footwork. High end, but not top end — the insanely fast, speedy, bouncy niche only controllable by the gifted elite few that also enjoy the benefit of a deep support system and have the opportunity and means to make the dedicated training effort over a long period of time.

This inflation is not a good thing, at its core. It gives way to unrealistic expectations, and hence a spiral of negative reinforcement to those lured, understandably because of inflation, into reaching above grasp.

Vega X looks great in Tom and Dan’s gameplay. Level adequate, I’d even say; it’s one of the few, if any, of these where both Dan and Tom showed real deep consistency.

That’s by no means “more lovely, and more temperate” (like a sonnetty summer’s day in Shakespeares cold and wet England), it’s a firecracker I’m seeing here — even though much wilder even stuff does exist. Let’s not go overboard.

A bit of an OK Boomer moment here. Tackiness, Mark V, Sriver etc. are very outdated these days. I'm really not sure who buys them at all - I'm surprised that the Tackiness range hasn't already been discontinued, but perhaps it doesn't cost Butterfly too much to make them.

The game has moved on substantially, with the reduced spin of the plastic ball accelerating this change in the last five or so years. Research and development has enabled us to get faster and spinnier rubbers like Dignics, Omega, etc. This relegates rubbers that were once considered high end to be now mid-range, like Vega and Baracuda. Vega X is a slight development of Vega Pro, but they're now marketing it in a different way because they have the Omega range.