Dampening sponge for LP

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Mine rubber it's to block: Giant Dragon - Talon National Team OX red
Then you don't want sponge. You must learn to play with "soft" hands. Have have two Firewall+ paddles with N2 Neo on the FH and GD Talon 0X on the back hand. Sometimes when I know I am going to get a hard hit to my BH I twiddle and let the N2 Neo absorb the energy. Sometime I remember to draw my LP back towards me like a baseball catcher eases the impact of a fast ball by drawing back his glove. There are videos about this on YouTube but I have found the draw back must be very slow to block short but still get the ball over the net.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
I guess this type of dampening sponge isn't like the others that increase speed.

Exactly. It won't make it bouncy like a factory applied sponge. I guess it depends on what you value?

Cons: Slower when hitting back spin. Less "reversal".
Pros: Easier to block hard loops.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
SMH. Sponges do not increase speed. They absorb energy. If sponges increased speed we could make a perpetual motion machine and our energy problems would be solved.

Yes, hitting with LP 0X is risky. It is a good way to end the point one way or another.

If you want to play with something that has a damped sponge get an anti. Don't get the newer German frictionless antis because they don't chop well because you can't add more back spin to the ball. Nittaku Best Anti 1.3mm is my favorite anti for chopping and chop blocking but it doesn't get much spin reversal.

SMH. Sponges do not increase speed. They absorb energy. If sponges increased speed we could make a perpetual motion machine and our energy problems would be solved.

Yes, hitting with LP 0X is risky. It is a good way to end the point one way or another.

If you want to play with something that has a damped sponge get an anti. Don't get the newer German frictionless antis because they don't chop well because you can't add more back spin to the ball. Nittaku Best Anti 1.3mm is my favorite anti for chopping and chop blocking but it doesn't get much spin reversal.

So how come 1.0mm 755 is faster than an ox 0.6mm 755 if the sponges does not increase the speed? Sponges do not just absorb energy they transfer it to the ball.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
So how come 1.0mm 755 is faster than an ox 0.6mm 755 if the sponges does not increase the speed? Sponges do not just absorb energy they transfer it to the ball.
They rubbers only transfer a part of the energy the absorb to the ball.
The only way 0.6 mm 755 is faster than 755 1mm is if the 1mm sponge is faster. However, I have played with both. I changed my 0.5mm 755 to 1mm 755 on my chopping paddle to slow down and get more control over the returns.

If you go to the OOAK forum they will agree that sponge absorbs energy and slows down returns.

The only way 0.6 mm 755 is faster than 755 1mm is if the 1mm sponge is faster. However, I have played with both. I changed my 0.5mm 755 to 1mm 755 on my chopping paddle to slow down and get more control over the returns.

If you go to the OOAK forum they will agree that sponge absorbs energy and slows down returns.

I dunno who loops what you chop with 1.0mm but higher level players that i know of do not use a 1.0mm to chop and the player i know is a world level player. If what you say is true how come the modern and classic defender players that i know would not dare touch something thicker than. 6mm because they are saying it is more bouncy and faster. Unless these players that I know are inferior in skill than you are, I will believe them more than what you are saying. By the way, have you tried chopping a Stiga Vertical 55 with 1.5mm sponge? If you do please show us a video how you chop with it against somebody who has a decent loop and we will see the control and less speed you are talking about.

Last edited:

Could be there are two kind of sponges: one dampening & one springing?
If there is such one then it is a specific sponge and should not generalize as a single behaviour of all sponges. I remember the Joola Timeless Antispin which I think until now has the softest sponge which has a longer deformity time compared to normal sponges. The moment you press your finger against it, it will not go back to a flat state immediately compared to normal sponges.

Reactions: Lem496
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I dunno who loops what you chop with 1.0mm but higher level players that i know of do not use a 1.0mm to chop and the player i know is a world level player. If what you say is true how come the modern and classic defender players that i know would not dare touch something thicker than. 6mm because they are saying it is more bouncy and faster.
When did these guys get their degrees in physics?
When did they become calibrated instruments?

Unless these players that I know are inferior in skill than you are, I will believe them more than what you are saying.
This has nothing to do with TT skill. It is just physics. Again, if what you say is true then we could make perpetual motion machines.

By the way, have you tried chopping a Stiga Vertical 55 with 1.5mm sponge? If you do please show us a video how you chop with it against somebody who has a decent loop and we will see the control and less speed you are talking about.
I would rather buy a Feint long or TSP Curl p1 that thick. I never heard of a Stiga Vertical 55. Why Stiga Veritical 55? That rubber may be too fast. What would that prove?
I have a Dawei 388 0.6mm, TSP P4 0.6mm and 755 1mm. I got the 755 1mm to get more back spin, grip, not speed. I don't do well chopping with inverted rubbers that have lots of grip.
I would actually like to try a P1 1.5mm or Feint 3 Long 1.5mm . 755 does not come thicker than 1mm. I could make a 755 1.5. I have a 1.5mm HRS sponge. You know that wouldn't be fast even though it is 1.5mm.
I am not a chopper but I like chopping. Mostly I chop just to give others a chance to practice returning chopped balls. I don't think I have ever chopped in a game. I am 66 and not mobile enough to be a competitive chopper.
I just to it for the exercise.