Re: Technique, Meaning of translated japanese terms: "Meat", "Tsutsuki", etc.

Re: Technique, Meaning of translated japanese terms: "Meat", "Tsutsuki", etc.

Hey all, as an avid reader of table tennis strategy, techniques, equipment and the like, I find myself lurking in european and asian TT forums from time to time. Copy and pasting into google translate, helps me understand the threads immensely. On the japanese forum tabletennisreference.com which i'm guessing are translated reviews from japanase to english, I frequently see the (translated to english) terms, "meat" and "tsutsuki" when it comes to technique. Example by one poster regarding performance of a blade: "I felt that meat type was easier to drive than hitting it". Another poster writes: "I do better with smash and meet than drive, but if you hit a drive that floats a little, it will go tremendously. " And another one writes: "However, I think that there is a lack of technology, but I feel a little bad when it comes to the Tsuttsuki battle." Anyone know what these two terms translate to in Table Tennis? I'm guessing "meat" means smash? And "tsutsuki" is chop? I'd really like to know what these terms mean as it would broaden my mind in this aspect. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
ミート = miito. Transliteration of meet, comes from a Japanese baseball term. More or less flat/pick hit.
ツッツキ = tsuttsuki. Push.

Last edited: