Back to Forum
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. pfalconett680 is offline
    says Need sleep
     
    TTD Member 2 22
    pfalconett680's Avatar
    pfalconett680 is offline
    says Need sleep
     
    TTD Member 22 2

    User Info Menu


    Jan 2020
    United States
    22
    2
    113
    Read 0 Reviews
    #1

    What Are Your Thoughts On The Stiga DNA Series?

    I am wondering if I should switch to the Stiga DNA Hard on my FH. Right now I have Mantra H on FH and Mantra M on my BH. I am an OFF- to OFF player who relies on mainly spin, and speed to out play my opponents. Any thoughts? Also, are there any spin oriented, but fast enough rubbers that I haven't stumbled upon and I need to know about? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

  2. trumpet_guy is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 137 258
    T
    trumpet_guy is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 258 137
    #2
    This review thread on the Stiga DNA Pro will be helpful in answering your questions:
    https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/for...t=Stiga+review

    I like the DNA Pro M on my backhand. Nice grippy top sheet, decent power and spin.
    The biggest downside is that this rubber series is heavy. A lot of German (ESN) rubbers are heavy now.

  3. BryanY is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 192 522
    BryanY's Avatar
    BryanY is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 522 192
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpet_guy
    This review thread on the Stiga DNA Pro will be helpful in answering your questions:
    https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/for...t=Stiga+review

    I like the DNA Pro M on my backhand. Nice grippy top sheet, decent power and spin.
    The biggest downside is that this rubber series is heavy. A lot of German (ESN) rubbers are heavy now.
    I think that Xiom's Omega VII might be a little lighter. Not sure on the exact weight of Omega VII Asia though.

  4. Dream2K is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 53 127
    D
    Dream2K is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 127 53
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanY
    I think that Xiom's Omega VII might be a little lighter. Not sure on the exact weight of Omega VII Asia though.
    O7A max weighs 70g according to a friend.

  5. yogi_bear is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 2,687 5,675
    yogi_bear's Avatar
    yogi_bear is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 5,675 2,687
    #5
    Omega 7 Asia is heavier due to havong a harder sponge.

  6. BryanY is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 192 522
    BryanY's Avatar
    BryanY is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 522 192
    #6
    Back to the original topic... Almost every company that makes ESN rubber is selling a 50 degree (Or higher) version. Too many to choose from really. Some are more forgiving than others, but from reading the reviews they all seem pretty fast and can be very spiny for people with solid technique, weight transfer, and timing.

    I'm currently using JOOLA Rhyzer Pro 50. It is one of the less forgiving 50 degree rubbers, but I'm used to it now and playing well with it. It has a low throw and harder topsheet than most ESN rubbers. From reading Yogi's review it sounds like DNA is easier to create spin with and has a higher/safer trajectory.

    I'm tempted to try Omega VII Asia, but honestly there are so many to choose from.

  7. yogi_bear is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 2,687 5,675
    yogi_bear's Avatar
    yogi_bear is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 5,675 2,687
    #7
    DNA H is really easier to use if compared to MXP or Rhyzer 50 and the topsheet is softer.

  8. Kanonir is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 5 8
    K
    Kanonir is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 8 5

    User Info Menu


    Jan 2020
    Bulgaria
    8
    5
    88
    Read 0 Reviews
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanY
    I think that Xiom's Omega VII might be a little lighter. Not sure on the exact weight of Omega VII Asia though.
    uncut sheet:

    Red 2.0 - 66.7g
    Black 2.0 - 66.0g

    took time to measure them yesterday

    The Following 3 Users Like Kanonir's Post:

    BryanY, Dream2K and 1 other


  9. Wister is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 83 177
    W
    Wister is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 177 83

    User Info Menu

    #9
    It's my second sheet of DNA M after 2 sheets of mantra S and i'm really happy with DNA M. I find the balance spin / speed / trajectory to be very good and i feel safe with. I would say that DNA is maybe less direct than mantra.

    It's hard to compare them concretely but if you play spin oriented it might be a good choice (i also play very spin oriented)

    The only thing i like less is for the serve. Not sure but it's maybe because i need some minimal arm speed with it to serve well. That said, it's still precise

  10. 808ponger is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 9 18
    8
    808ponger is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 18 9

    User Info Menu


    Aug 2014
    18
    9
    108
    Read 0 Reviews
    #10
    In my opinion is like DNA is like the ESN version of Mantra. Bit more spin and speed

  11. UpSideDownCarl is offline
    says I like to hit Heavy Topspin
     
    Super Moderator 15,756 14,141
    UpSideDownCarl's Avatar
    UpSideDownCarl is offline
    says I like to hit Heavy Topspin
     
    Super Moderator 14,141 15,756
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by pfalconett680
    I am wondering if I should switch to the Stiga DNA Hard on my FH. Right now I have Mantra H on FH and Mantra M on my BH. I am an OFF- to OFF player who relies on mainly spin, and speed to out play my opponents. Any thoughts? Also, are there any spin oriented, but fast enough rubbers that I haven't stumbled upon and I need to know about? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    How long have you been playing? Any idea on your level? Have you played in any USATT tournaments?
    Setup 1: Blade by Nate: Vortex Spin Machine, FH Evolution MX-K, BH Evolution FX-P
    Setup 2: OSP Virtuoso Plus, FH Rasanter R 48, BH Rasanter R 48
    Spin is Everything

  12. TTW is online now
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 33 68
    TTW's Avatar
    TTW is online now
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 68 33
    #12
    Never played in USATT tournaments but I am impressed by the DNA.
    This rubber is surprisingly good in control and provides variety of gears. I will not say that this is the most spiniest but it is good rubber and blocking and counter topspins are smooth.

  13. UpSideDownCarl is offline
    says I like to hit Heavy Topspin
     
    Super Moderator 15,756 14,141
    UpSideDownCarl's Avatar
    UpSideDownCarl is offline
    says I like to hit Heavy Topspin
     
    Super Moderator 14,141 15,756
    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by TTW
    Never played in USATT tournaments but I am impressed by the DNA.
    This rubber is surprisingly good in control and provides variety of gears. I will not say that this is the most spiniest but it is good rubber and blocking and counter topspins are smooth.
    I asked pfalconett specifically because it says he lives in USA (TN) and because of the way he has been asking questions about TT equipment.

    If you live in India and have not been to the USA then you of course would not have played in any USATT tournaments.

    Also, you are able to express actual qualities of the rubbers you are describing. To me, it sounds like you have been playing longer than pfalconett.

    I was trying to save pfalconett some $$ and trouble with EJing while his level is such that he cannot really tell the difference between different blades and rubbers.

    Of course I could be wrong. But by the way pfalconett has posted in multiple threads, and the questions he has asked about different kinds of equipment, or even that he describes himself as an Off- to Off player makes me think he is going down a rabbit hole of buying equipment that he does not have the technique yet to actually reap benefits from having.

    The Following 3 Users Like UpSideDownCarl's Post:

    lasta, lVegita and 1 other

    Setup 1: Blade by Nate: Vortex Spin Machine, FH Evolution MX-K, BH Evolution FX-P
    Setup 2: OSP Virtuoso Plus, FH Rasanter R 48, BH Rasanter R 48
    Spin is Everything

  14. TTW is online now
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 33 68
    TTW's Avatar
    TTW is online now
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 68 33
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by UpSideDownCarl
    I asked pfalconett specifically because it says he lives in USA (TN) and because of the way he has been asking questions about TT equipment.

    If you live in India and have not been to the USA then you of course would not have played in any USATT tournaments.

    Also, you are able to express actual qualities of the rubbers you are describing. To me, it sounds like you have been playing longer than pfalconett.

    I was trying to save pfalconett some $$ and trouble with EJing while his level is such that he cannot really tell the difference between different blades and rubbers.

    Of course I could be wrong. But by the way pfalconett has posted in multiple threads, and the questions he has asked about different kinds of equipment, or even that he describes himself as an Off- to Off player makes me think he is going down a rabbit hole of buying equipment that he does not have the technique yet to actually reap benefits from having.
    I don't know how long pfalconett has been playing but DNA has been a really good rubber for me. I use the hard version of DNA.

  15. yoass is offline
    says modestly attempting kōhaiship of Jeul-Tak
     
    Master TTD Member 2,337 2,442
    yoass's Avatar
    yoass is offline
    says modestly attempting kōhaiship of Jeul-Tak
     
    Master TTD Member 2,442 2,337
    #15
    Played against a good player, that used T05 on FH and DNA Pro M on BH.

    Very high shot quality, comparable on both wings. Spin level especially; hard to block, and counterspinning also tricky.

    The Following User Likes yoass's Post:

    UpSideDownCarl

    Last edited by yoass; 02-17-2020 at 09:33 AM.

  16. UpSideDownCarl is offline
    says I like to hit Heavy Topspin
     
    Super Moderator 15,756 14,141
    UpSideDownCarl's Avatar
    UpSideDownCarl is offline
    says I like to hit Heavy Topspin
     
    Super Moderator 14,141 15,756
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by TTW
    I don't know how long pfalconett has been playing but DNA has been a really good rubber for me. I use the hard version of DNA.
    No matter how good the rubber is, if he actually should be playing with a Donic Appelgren Allplay and Mark V or Vega Intro, or some inexpensive Chinese equivalents that are for people learning the basics, DNA would be hard to use for someone who does not actually know the fundamentals and does not have precise spin contact.

    I don't know that that is the case. But the way the OP asked many of the questions he asked in the multiple threads he opened, it sounded like he might be quite new to playing TT. Maybe not. But maybe. Since he has not been back on this thread since he opened it, we will see if he does ever come back.

    But it is quite common for players who are lower level to buy expensive equipment that is way over their ability to use the equipment, and often they are thinking, I get the fastest, bestest equipment now (note how many different "what is the best" threads OP opened) and I will grow into it. But that is not actually how TT equipment works.

    The Following User Likes UpSideDownCarl's Post:

    thomas.pong

    Last edited by UpSideDownCarl; 02-15-2020 at 01:54 PM.
    Setup 1: Blade by Nate: Vortex Spin Machine, FH Evolution MX-K, BH Evolution FX-P
    Setup 2: OSP Virtuoso Plus, FH Rasanter R 48, BH Rasanter R 48
    Spin is Everything

  17. lasta is offline
    says This user has status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 488 902
    lasta's Avatar
    lasta is offline
    says This user has status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 902 488

    User Info Menu


    Jul 2018
    Canada
    902
    488
    2282
    Read 0 Reviews
    #17
    Could, should, would...doesn't matter, rubbers don't make as much difference as most people proclaim.

    The guy used Mantra H. If anything, the DNA has a slightly softer topsheet thus more forgiving. Comparing both directly, I would say the DNA has slightly more grip (though still behind Omega 7 and Tenergy 5), slightly bouncier, but more or less the same top end speed as the Mantra.

    Shouldn't be too big of a switch if he just needs to replace rubbers.
    Last edited by lasta; 02-15-2020 at 02:46 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Create a new Topic:
Title is required.