Changing paddle during match

This user has no status.
Hey there a question, I'm now getting a new paddle (donic dotec waldner ar, friendship 802-40, calibra lt spin) and defeat every attacking player. Except those who play contra, no effect. What do the rules say about changing paddle during the match?
Can I change after losing 1 set to another paddle with another setting?

I think using sriver d13 to produce more backspin. and a slower frame.
Does anyone also know the rules for the Dutch competition.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
I'm pretty sure like azlan said you cannot change equipment unless it is broken and unplayable. And if it is broken the change must be to something similar, i.e. you can't go from an all around attacking blade with inverted on both sides to something defensive with long pips or anti or something like that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
ITTF Handbook 2011/2012

3.05.02.05 If a player changes his or her racket during an individual match when it has not been damaged, the umpire shall suspend play and report to the referee.

(ergo: disqualification)

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
As above, you are only able to change bat if your current bat is damaged to the point where it will interfere with your play or has become 'illegalised' i.e a large chunk of rubber has come off or the rubber is lose etc. Also you have to seek approval to change from the match umpire. I have seen a player disqualified from a match for changing bats at the end of 1 set after losing it before.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
As people have already said - You can only change your racket if it is damaged to the point of it either being unusable or no longer legal, however the damage MUST be accidental! However, contrary to a previous post, there is no rule or regulation that states you have to change it to a similar racket, you can change it to anything. Also it does not therefore have to be at the end of a game, if it is deemed appropriate to change (due to the conditions above) then it should be changed immediately. If a racket is changed outside of these conditions then the player would be disqualified (by the referee not the umpire).

This user has no status.
ok i agree with you all. But because I had a discussion yesterday at 'the club' I searched the web and find the rules on the ittf website.

3.04.02.04 A racket shall not be replaced during an individual match unless it is accidentally damaged so badly that it cannot be used; if this happens the damaged racket shall be replaced immediately by another which the player has brought with him or her to the playing area or one which is handed to him or her in the playing area.

So if I understand correctly you cannot change your paddle if you broke it on purpose. So if I get angry and hammer it into the wall (never happend before :p) I have to continue play with the broken paddle? Thats weird because the paddle is not up to standards according to the ittf? Does the rules say if accindentally the paddle is broken you have to play with the same kind of paddle. Or can i change from pips to inverted? (like the stig says, it will be exspensive for me to 'accidentally' break a paddle every three matches :p)

For the dutch the rule:
Tijdens een afzonderlijke wedstrijd mag een bat niet worden verwisseld tenzij het
zonder opzet dermate is beschadigd dat het niet meer gebruikt kan worden;
wanneer dit gebeurt dient het beschadigde bat meteen vervangen te worden
door een exemplaar dat de speler in de speelruimte heeft meegebracht of dat
hem daar wordt aangereikt.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
So if I understand correctly you cannot change your paddle if you broke it on purpose. So if I get angry and hammer it into the wall (never happend before :p) I have to continue play with the broken paddle? Thats weird because the paddle is not up to standards according to the ittf? Does the rules say if accindentally the paddle is broken you have to play with the same kind of paddle. Or can i change from pips to inverted? (like the stig says, it will be exspensive for me to 'accidentally' break a paddle every three matches :p)

If you break your bat on purpose you get disqualified and loose your game.. It happenend sometimes, i remember one case where Werner Schlager was angry and pulled his racket over the edge of the table. Of course the rubber had a big cut aftwerwards and he said to the umpire that he needs to change his bat. But his plan didn't work :D and the umpire said it was on purpose and not accidently and Schlager got disqualified...

This user has no status.
If you break your bat on purpose you get disqualified and loose your game.. It happenend sometimes, i remember one case where Werner Schlager was angry and pulled his racket over the edge of the table. Of course the rubber had a big cut aftwerwards and he said to the umpire that he needs to change his bat. But his plan didn't work :D and the umpire said it was on purpose and not accidently and Schlager got disqualified...

haha thanks for the explanation, there goes my plan. I have to do it a bit sneaky if i want to change my paddle. And does anyone know the rule that a 4th player can compete in the double game. A competition in holland has a team of 3 players. Playing against 3 other players. Is it allowed to enter a fourth player into the double match?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Review Moderator
Jul 2011
Read 7 reviews
haha thanks for the explanetion, there goes my plan. I have to do it a bit sneaky if i want to change my paddle. And does anyone know the rule that a 4th player can compete in the double game. A competition in holland has a team of 3 players. Playing against 3 other players. Is it allowed to enter a fourth player into the double match?

Yes a 4th player can play, but ofcourse only in the doubles match. And the player has to be in the team, so you can't just let anyone play.
There are now new forms (the ones you use for our competition matches) in the Netherlands as well. They have spaces for the 4th player (D) in case he's playing doubles.

This user has no status.
ok i found it. pff hard to find but in dutch:
Het dubbelspel wordt gespeeld door twee spelers uit elk van beide teams, waarbij die spelers in die competitiewedstrijd ook uitkomen in het enkelspel. Indien op de teamlijst meer dan drie spelers zijn vermeld, mogen spelers uit dat team, die tijdens een competitiewedstrijd niet in het enkelspel uitkomen, wel worden opgesteld in het dubbelspel van die betreffende competitiewedstrijd.
Translated english (by me sorry for the bad english): The doublegame is played by 2 players from each team, including the players that are playing the single matches. If there are more than 3 players on the teamsheet, players from this team, that do not compete in the single matches can compete in the double matches.

This user has no status.
Yes a 4th player can play, but ofcourse only in the doubles match. And the player has to be in the team, so you can't just let anyone play.
There are now new forms (the ones you use for our competition matches) in the Netherlands as well. They have spaces for the 4th player (D) in case he's playing doubles.

ok thanks, i think we use up the old ones. These don't have room for a 4th players.