control

says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
Sep 2016
thinner rubber or thicker rubber has better control ???????

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
The thinner the better but also slower. The thicker the bigger the catapult and the faster but more random ball. Most people choose 1.8 mm than 2.1 or 2.2 because of this.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Control of what?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 3 reviews
I agree with Baal. Control term is not clear enough. The thinner the sponge is, the easier it is to block, smash, play short. So better control while playing these...

When you want to generate more speed and spin with thinner sponge like thicker sponge does, you should use quicker snap, bigger swing... This may make you feel awkward for a while, due to exaggerating strokes. So you lose your control little while playing topspin like you do with thicker sponge. Then you may give up on your topspin and become blocker/hitter.

CLT-L09 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
GET A 10x OPTICAL LOUPE, FIRST.

Micropores sponge is the best control. Large pores is the unruled.
/Be happy/

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Control is what makes it easier to do something. That is the easiest way to express it.

Generally, topspin sots require topspin, so a rubber that makes it easy to topspin (think softer dynamic sponge and supple topsheet) gives more control on topspin shots.

For inverted rubbers chopping, a soft sponged modern dynamic rubber that can easily absorb energy is the preferred way of choppers to make it easier to bring the ball back.

For the hitters, a very firm sponge with a hardish topsheet makes it easier to drive the ball without a lot of spin, especially on a hard, stiff, uber-fast blade with a McDonald's Quarter-Pounder kind of pounding stroke.

Reactions: Gekko
Sep 2016
Well American is American, always wants to cause trouble everywhere

Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Except that equipment that makes it easy to do one thing can make it harder to do other things. So.... control of what?

Basically, control of your game. If you entend to mainly play topspin on both wings get rubbers that help you, so that you can enforce your game. Of course you´ll have to accept that you might find other shots a bit less easy to manage.

That is the whole contradiction. Speed is absolute, spin too, but control is relative to what you are doing.

A rubber with a lot of "control" would make me lose any control of what I am playing. As long as I played a slower rubber on my backhand and was hesitant to open the rallye from there, I felt controlled by the opponent.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Basically, control of your game. If you entend to mainly play topspin on both wings get rubbers that help you, so that you can enforce your game. Of course you´ll have to accept that you might find other shots a bit less easy to manage.

That is the whole contradiction. Speed is absolute, spin too, but control is relative to what you are doing.

A rubber with a lot of "control" would make me lose any control of what I am playing. As long as I played a slower rubber on my backhand and was hesitant to open the rallye from there, I felt controlled by the opponent.

That is my point exactly. So it is a pretty useless term to apply to rubber.

FWIW, I prefer thicker.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
For me, since it has been trained into me to spin as heavy as possible, I like thicker also. Since I am spinning, thicker allows me to control the ball with spin better.

Thinner may better for hitting flat.

BTW: thicker should give more cushioning and more dampening. So, thicker should not really be faster unless you use it for spinning the ball and use the rebound of the rubber for spin (mechanical spin). But maybe what people mean is that, because there is more sponge, you can swing harder and if the effort goes into spinning the ball to enough of an extent, you will get a faster shot that will still arc and land on the table.

Otherwise, on a flat hit, thinner should actually be faster. There are videos that show this.

Reactions: brokenball