Stiff and soft blade?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Any 7 ply Hinoki blade will be stiff and soft. But it will not be slow. It will be pretty fast.

Korbel has a decent amount of flex because the head size is larger even though it is not so thin. But it is a great blade. I also would call it Off or the very highest end of Off- rather than All, All+ or a standard Off-.

Allround NCT has a coating on the top ply to make it harder.

Single ply Hinoki blade would be VERY fast.

The Offensive S has a soft top ply but a crisp feeling and it is kind of thick (6.2mm) so it does not really feel soft.

Donic Appelgren Allplay would have a nice soft feeling, be in the All to All+ category but it will have flex.

It is hard to have something that is Slow, Stiff and Soft. Often slower blades have a little more flex in them.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Nittaku S-5? The Offensive S is great but not exactly on the stiff side, in my opinion. Sort of half-way. The Nittaku is both softer and stiffer, I think.

Yep. Stiffer than many in its class, but it is hard to get a blade that is soft, stiff, and not too fast. Clipper isn't exactly stiff either and it is a 7mm, 7 ply blade. But it is much too fast to be considered not fast. :)

Reactions: Ioiettino
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
my former blade xiom hinoki s7, 7 ply hinoki at 7mm is very stiff but soft, softer than limba

But was it not so fast? :)

I remember trying Septear and it was pretty fast. One thing about Hinoki blades though, they have gears. Faster on bigger impact, yet good control on soft touch shots.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016

I remember trying Septear and it was pretty fast. One thing about Hinoki blades though, they have gears. Faster on bigger impact, yet good control on soft touch shots.

Yes, I thought about 7-ply hinoki but discarded it for the same reason. Maybe Septear Lead, although I haven't tried it.
Tibhar IV-L, I am considering just now. Four-ply ayous, very common in France. Hardly flexes, interestingly, the blade takes it all in although it's not lifeless by any means. Too soft for me, especially with plastic balls (these blades have been around for a while) but I think it would fit the bill. With a Vari Spin it's kind of fun actually, for a pure all-rounder's game. I even tried the Swing version (violin-shaped) a few years back, but with a soft Ventus Spin it all became a bit vague.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Unfortunately most stiff blades are fast(ish). If you are looking for a specific feel:

Hinoki blades like the Septear and S7 have a soft feel on low impact, but are actually much denser/more solid than clipper types on high impact, also fast, so might not work for you.

On the other end are thicker 5-plies with soft cores, two i tried are Cornilleau Foco or Hinotec Off-, slightly crisper on low impact (so might not feel as soft), but hollow/dampened on high impact (Xiom/Nexy call it "deep hold") which gives it a very low density feel. A Balsa blade is another (extreme boxiness) option. These blades feel bouncy, but don't keep up as well for hard hitters.

Which version of "soft" do you prefer?

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I'm thinking that a limba/kiri/balsa/kiri/limba composition in the 6-7mm range should be close to what you want

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Reactions: lasta
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019

xiom hinoki s7 is faster than clipper and septear, one of the best 7ply i have used,

sanwei fextra has a medium stiff and soft feel also same speed as clipper

Sent from my Redmi 6A using Tapatalk

Last edited: