Dimitrij Ovtcharov trying new blade against fan?

This user has no status.
Look at how many Timo Boll blades there are, from pre-assembled hobby lines to the very popular ALC.
History goes he played with Viscaria, then Boll Spirit, then Boll ALC, all quite similar.
But they named so many others after him.

Same story over at Donic with Swedish legends Waldner, Persson and Appelgren, later Ovtcharov. An abundance of blades bearing their names makes up Donic´s portfolio.

Or Tibhar Samsonov blades.

One or over the years several of these models they may have played. Soem briefly, some longer.

But let´s face it, if there is a Boll all-wood blade or even the ZLC no-one would expect Timo to use them.

So consequently, you cannot expect any player to use a blade with their name on, and many blades are released over time with a player´s name, but sometimes the marketing claims "this is the new blade that this player uses." And sometimes it´s even true.

No, i am not talking about different versions, but when i was talking about honesty here, i was trying to make kind of clear description, like:

Jum Mizutani ZLC, similar to what JM is using but it is slower or it is faster.
Jun Mizutani Super ZLC, this is exactly what Jun Mizutani is using.
Jun Mizutani ALC, new version that is having same grip or same handle or same wood and carbon layers but it is slower or it is cheaper option for those who want feeling but it is like about half performance of what is JM current or real blade.

So, with above examples someone can think about which blade is been used by the player and which is not, but if none of those in markets are being used by the pro players because it is another class then better they just say or mention as following:

Long 2, 3, 5, 10, 100 are all NOT same as what Ma Long is playing, but we mimic the design or the color or the shape and we used his name because this manufacturer sponsored him or he gave his name to them to put on those models, just we are pointing that the name is not representing that the blade itself is been used by himself.

Now what is the point if they call on DHS or even now with Nittaku with the name Ma Long on them and none of them were been used by Ma Long himself? It is like Hamilton is signing for BMW cars models and they name some models on them but he never drove one of them or use one, i am not trying to pick something as to make it complicated, but when they mentioned those players equipment somewhere in sites and then we find out that none of those equipment are really matching or same exact in the market sold by stores then i feel like they only use names and try to give examples of their equipment so people can go and buy thinking it is exactly the same as those players are using, many are using Viscaria, i have a friend who is good and he said he sold his Viscaria as he didn't feel good enough with it, and he liked my rackets more, while i saw other players or coaches who are top player are using Viscaria, and this person my friend he knows what those players are using or he knows who is using Viscaria blade but he doesn't trust it is the same they are using, he bought it from Asia maybe China or Hong Kong, my point is, i can't believe what i bought can be exactly as one of those players are using exactly no matter what names or models it is, if Timo Boll is using Viscaria at some point then later he moved to Timo Boll blade, which Viscaria version and which Timo Boll version and are those originally as he used being sold in markets?

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Dima's official equipment: custom ZLC with D9C/D05 according to BTY website
https://butterflyonline.com/players/ovtcharov-dimitrij/

I think Butterfly America got it wrong.

Butterfly Japan is usually closer to the truth and often updated:
https://www.butterfly.co.jp/players/detail/ovtcharov-dimitrij.html

He's likely using an ALC blade similar to a Viscaria or IF ALC/Harimoto, and probably still testing a bit before he settles for inner or outer and thickness details. Then they'll release his signature blade whether it is actually an accurate copy to what he's using... or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baal
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Unlikely... After playing anything BUT Donic when sponsored by them he would not start doing the same when finally with his sponsor of choice, Butterfly.

His old blades were donic. If you think about it,he was given blades by ma long and he is friends with timo boll. Donic made an ovtcharov true carbon and ovtcharov senso no 1. He also has his unique 8 ply ovtcharov donic. The only donic blade that I know he used for sure is the waldner senso carbon. He never used donic rubbers, but I really think he used a donic blade at his time in donic. That time he was using a 7 ply blade, that is possibly a persson powerplay, or the time it looked like he used a viscaria, that was an otc.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
He never used donic rubbers

before tenergy he did, but that is so long ago it probably doesn´t count

but I really think he used a donic blade at his time in donic.

The last one - basically a DHS clone - was the only one they could really "convince" him to use.

Before that, the joke of all the Original and True blades coming out that he "really played", "really, really played" and "really, this time, we promise, really played" was on Donic.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
before tenergy he did, but that is so long ago it probably doesn´t count

The last one - basically a DHS clone - was the only one they could really "convince" him to use.

Before that, the joke of all the Original and True blades coming out that he "really played", "really, really played" and "really, this time, we promise, really played" was on Donic.

They don’t seem to have a strategy at all around his brand. Same for Waldner’s and Persson’s. Basically they pick a random name and stick on a blade, and then roll a dice to pick one of 3 brands and stick it in front. Nobody really knows what the names are for. It’s not very good since if people give up caring about the names, you are throwing away your brands.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
I know that professional players stick fanatically to one blade for a veeery long time

Some do. Mostly from generations of yore.

not dima. he changes blades faster than the cnt forcing veterans to retire

Yes. He is especially "active" in trying to optimize every last bit of his equipment, but he is not alone.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
They don’t seem to have a strategy at all around his brand.

Any brand with legendary players under contract will probably do the same, see all the BTY Boll and Tibhar Samsonov blades.
But legendary as they are, some have last played actively ages ago and it would be useful to start deleting several items from the catalogue. I am very sure that Waldner Senso Carbon justifies being on sale for a long time, because it is an often recommended blade, but I am also sure that there are other blades named after him that don´t really sell. Same for Persson, with PowerPlay being THE classic, but some others?
Donic have stuck too long to the Swedish legends, I would agree.

And then to stick Ovtcharov´s name not only on new blades, but variants of the old ones (to make them appeal to younger buyers or what?) is a mistake repeated.

The particular problem with him was that once he switched to tenergy there was no going back, and it´s not that bluefire or bluestorm rubbers are particularly shitty. Just not good enough for HIM. And Donic, having no other succesful top player under contract, couldn´t do much about it.

Finally, with the blades, they released a few where the shilly-shallying began from the start. "Oh yes, he plays this new one, only his is bigger and he plays it with a Senso handle." Yeah...

Anyway, time for Donic to clean up their portfolio. But now D.O. doesn´t stand for Dima Ovtcharov, but Donic Original. Now that´s progress.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
It’s easier to follow on other brands’. Bty have Boll ALC, Boll ZLC, Kobel, Kobel 7. Straightforward to know what is what. Yasaka has Malin Extra, Malin Extra Offensive, Malin Soft, Malin Carbon, Malin Hard, Falck Wood 7, Falck Carbon. At least they create the illusion that you can “upgrade” along a path that a superstar drew for u :cool::cool::cool:

Donic, what is Persson PowerPlay, Persson 7, Waldner Sensor, Ovt No 1, Ovt True Carbon.... What is what???? (Is there a blade named Ovt Pseudo Carbon which is softer?) :eek:

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
What is the Donic blade many referred to as a W968 clone? is it the true carbon?