Dimitrij Ovtcharov trying new blade against fan?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Dimitrij Ovtcharov looks like a straight handle viscaria?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Dima had a w968 blade that ma long gave him in china I guess its the same blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
The new handle certainly excited him! Haven’t ever liked watching him playing as much as in this tour.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Reactions: jedimasterplk
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Actually, he did appear at a German Butterfly store with an Innerforce ALC quite similar to the Harimoto, also with slightly enlarged head, and a thicker core.
But all of these official appearances will not stop speculations, for a good enough reason. The Donic charade went on for too long.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Dimitrij defeating Fan Zhendong with 09c... coincidence?

It happened before, in 2017 with t05. The head to head is 2-3.
Fan´s game is a lot better for Ovtcharov than Ma Long´s, for which he has a solid nil to 17 regardless of rubber. ;)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
It has been really long time since i watch games either live or the reply on YouTube!

Not sure if the defeat of FZD by DO is a surprise or not, but it is nice to see those Chinese players losing against non Chinese players, i really felt like giving up to watch table tennis since 2-3 years ago as i know that Chinese players will always win any tournament they play in, so that i stopped watching, even this tournament of German Open is still won by Chinese, but the most important thing is that a player No.1 has been defeated no matter his form, well done, Dima, and i really wish that Timo is keep fighting longer and get some titles in the way.

Now about Pro's equipment, i really feel it is all promotion from manufacturers than a truth, i never read any Pro equipment being as 1000% sure it was mentioned, even if you see the shape and the color of blades in their hands it is still not sure, i mean i keep hearing that Ma Long for example is using a way way different DHS Hurricane blade than what we can buy online, so it is like all Pro equipment is the legit very original and another class very very expensive while the copies of those in markets are just similar but never the same, i hope i am wrong about it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
i hope i am wrong about it.

No you are not.

Although with blades often it is more about selection (meaning the best of production series blades is chosen, 1 out of 20 or 50 or ...) than actual individual composition, the latter can be done. A thicker core or top veneer is easy - I am sure that often legend makes that "totally different" to the shop version, when it´s actually just 0,1 mm of wood. Totally individual is of course no problem either.

With rubbers, differences can be huge, up to the point where an individual rubber is used that only bares the stamp of one available. However, with that many professional players don´t expect them all to have individualized rubbers. Many rely on pro versions of those sold, with a better quality control (equal thickness selected on all rubbers delivered to players, whereas thickness of 2.0 mm can vary to any side), and some factory tuning.

But the field is extremely wide, and generalization bound to fail.

Reactions: bobpuls
This user has no status.
No you are not.

Although with blades often it is more about selection (meaning the best of production series blades is chosen, 1 out of 20 or 50 or ...) than actual individual composition, the latter can be done. A thicker core or top veneer is easy - I am sure that often legend makes that "totally different" to the shop version, when it´s actually just 0,1 mm of wood. Totally individual is of course no problem either.

With rubbers, differences can be huge, up to the point where an individual rubber is used that only bares the stamp of one available. However, with that many professional players don´t expect them all to have individualized rubbers. Many rely on pro versions of those sold, with a better quality control (equal thickness selected on all rubbers delivered to players, whereas thickness of 2.0 mm can vary to any side), and some factory tuning.

But the field is extremely wide, and generalization bound to fail.

I see, so interesting, thank you very much

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
The existence of a Dima Btfly blade doesn't mean he will use it. See ZJK, who used a Viscaria even though there are a bunch of Btfly ZJK blades (including ALC versions which are pretty similar to a Viscaria!!).

On the other hand since he is coming from Donic, one might think they would build him a blade that he likes and then sell it. Only for some reason it seems like that isn't the way things work.

This user has no status.
Ok, let's focus on one player, Ma Long, i can see clearly he is using a blade that is very likely as DHS Hurricane Long 5, so is that really HL5 or it is a clone of it or something different but they formed it in the design or look for DHS HL5? If it is a HL5 then is it the commercial one we can buy or something different? If different then is it only just business thing to make something similar to what he is using but the performance is way way different? Not asking for exact same performance because it is about skills and years of experiences, but at least let them be honest on what they are selling rather than using popular or big names players on blades.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
at least let them be honest on what they are selling rather than using popular or big names players on blades.

Look at how many Timo Boll blades there are, from pre-assembled hobby lines to the very popular ALC.
History goes he played with Viscaria, then Boll Spirit, then Boll ALC, all quite similar.
But they named so many others after him.

Same story over at Donic with Swedish legends Waldner, Persson and Appelgren, later Ovtcharov. An abundance of blades bearing their names makes up Donic´s portfolio.

Or Tibhar Samsonov blades.

One or over the years several of these models they may have played. Soem briefly, some longer.

But let´s face it, if there is a Boll all-wood blade or even the ZLC no-one would expect Timo to use them.

So consequently, you cannot expect any player to use a blade with their name on, and many blades are released over time with a player´s name, but sometimes the marketing claims "this is the new blade that this player uses." And sometimes it´s even true.

Last edited: