Single Ply hinoki blades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
I only see single ply hinoki JPen players in vets competition now. When I talk to them there are plenty of players who have never broken their blades. Sample size is only about 100 but there's only 1 or 2 who snapped the hinoki blade. It's most likely that they handle their blades with extra care since they all know that it's more brittle. Moreover, there's greater variance in feel/weight/COR for single ply hinoki so they all fear that they'll never find another blade they like.

Darker is one of the few maker that I can confidently say better than BF blades in manufacturing quality.
Love browsing their official shop as they sell some wacky prototypes and EOL blades.
http://darker.yokohama/shopdetail/000000000060/

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Only 2/3 of the O40 crowd who were raised on J-Pen converted to Shakehand, leaving a still sizeable portion of die-hard to the death J-Penners in Korea.

These players typically MASH THE LIVING DOGCRAP out of the ball on FH when they go for it... and they go for it just about EVERY DAMN POINT.

When they cut wolf loose on FH, there is some serious power transfer going on. Nexy Korea president often discusses the "Bang" impact and all the offensive minded J-Pen crowd has it.

That puts a lot of stress on the blade and those single ply J-Pen blades they cherish cost well over $300 USD stock, before the special editions.

It is no coincidence that they often break their blade at some point. Most just give it up to their 60-70 yr old club owner who would fuse it back together with a special version of wood glue. You would barely notice it was ever cracked.

Reactions: rbtitco and jbvttcc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
.... He used Speed 90 for a few years, and then he had 4 break within 2 months and decided to switch to a composite blade.

They broke in his bag from pressure on the blade face. Not from hits or bangs on the blade while playing....

that's crazy. Was he carrying a couple of bowling balls in the bag too?

Reactions: jbvttcc
This user has no status.
I own 2 Darker Speed 90 shakehand blades, and 1 Darker Speed Imperial 2020, all of which I play with regularly. Playing characteristics between the DS 90's and my DS Imperial are very similar, to the point that I'll play one or more matches with one of the DS 90's, and then when it is wet from my sweat, switch to the Imperial for the rest of the matches that day. I have discovered one annoying difference between my blades... My Imperial (90grams) and my DS 90 (103 grams) have longer handles than my DS 90 (94 grams). The two with the longer handles are easier to twiddle, so typically I'll start the day with the 103gm DS 90, and then later switch to the Imperial 90gm. If the handle was the same length, I would prefer to use the DS 90 (94gm) that is closer in weight to the Imperial. The only noticeable difference I have found between the Imperial and the DS 90's is the Imperial is much louder when I smash with it, but I'm not sure why. It might be because of the tighter grain, but I really don't know. I don't see any difference in speed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2021
I own 2 Darker Speed 90 shakehand blades, and 1 Darker Speed Imperial 2020, all of which I play with regularly. Playing characteristics between the DS 90's and my DS Imperial are very similar, to the point that I'll play one or more matches with one of the DS 90's, and then when it is wet from my sweat, switch to the Imperial for the rest of the matches that day. I have discovered one annoying difference between my blades... My Imperial (90grams) and my DS 90 (103 grams) have longer handles than my DS 90 (94 grams). The two with the longer handles are easier to twiddle, so typically I'll start the day with the 103gm DS 90, and then later switch to the Imperial 90gm. If the handle was the same length, I would prefer to use the DS 90 (94gm) that is closer in weight to the Imperial. The only noticeable difference I have found between the Imperial and the DS 90's is the Imperial is much louder when I smash with it, but I'm not sure why. It might be because of the tighter grain, but I really don't know. I don't see any difference in speed.

hmmm, i just got my speed 90 from tt11 and it is only 82 grams. .....

This user has no status.

hmmm, i just got my speed 90 from tt11 and it is only 82 grams. .....

You might actually love the weight. The Darker Speed 1-ply blades I now have are 85g, 87g and 90g respectively. I really like the weight, and doubt there’s really any difference with how they play compared to your 82g blade. They are all lightning fast!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2021
You might actually love the weight. The Darker Speed 1-ply blades I now have are 85g, 87g and 90g respectively. I really like the weight, and doubt there’s really any difference with how they play compared to your 82g blade. They are all lightning fast!

Hah, you are right. I don't think that several grams of extra weight would really make a difference when I play. I played with it for 3 hours last night and really liked it.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
My shakehand version of Darker Speed 90 weighs above 200g with two sheets of rubber. However, for me, the playability is not hindered by the weigh coz I love'em heavy. The problem with these single ply hinoki is the thickness or bulkiness. My transition from FH & BH suffers due to the bulkiness of the built. I use it now mainly for training and not for game-play. Training against rebounding board and robot.

Last edited:
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
E2CBF1B9 23BB 4EDB A850 AF523AC7E1A2 jpeg.jpeg
Here are the pics of my DS90.

Last edited: