Caronavirus & Tokyo 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Coronavirus & Tokyo 2020

Could the Coronavirus Impact Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games?

In Australia and New Zealand, anyone visiting from China or who have passed through China are being denied entry. Big tourism in Tokyo predicted and potentially supporters from China might not be allowed in depending on how circumstances change closer to the event?

Could a blanket be put on entire Chinese athletes & mainland visitors or games possibly cancelled or postponed? These might be a reality if situation not improved and fears cannot be contained and tourism could cause bigger outbreaks.

Of course wish situation improved not for Table Tennis but for humanity, that is #1 priority the general well being of people

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Not sure about Olympics but rumour has it that CNT is now in Qatar for closed-door training instead of back home as originally planned. If the situation in China does not improve soon, maybe the Chinese players will remain nomadic so as to reduce the risks of being infected back home.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Given its 85% similarity to SARS, it will likely die out once summer comes as the virus has trouble surviving above a certain temperature.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Not sure about Olympics but rumour has it that CNT is now in Qatar for closed-door training instead of back home as originally planned. If the situation in China does not improve soon, maybe the Chinese players will remain nomadic so as to reduce the risks of being infected back home.

Do you think that will have negative impact for training and preparation for CNT? It's tough situation I suppose for players and coaches

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Given its 85% similarity to SARS, it will likely die out once summer comes as the virus has trouble surviving above a certain temperature.

I was looking at stats and just wondering what approach say WHO will have, Olympics committee, Japanese government and population will have if it's not cleared.

Major global event and great influx of tourists expected from around the globe all in similar versitity of each other. Praying don't have to wait till Summer for it to go away.

https://fortune.com/2020/02/03/tokyo-olympics-art-basel-coronavirus-events/https://fortune.com/2020/02/03/tokyo-olympics-art-basel-coronavirus-events/

Last edited:
Jan 2018
One big difference from SARS and thus challenge with the novel coronavirus is that the incubation period is longer(as long as 14 days vs 10 days) and there are many cases where the infected do not exhibit ANY symptoms, essentially acting as "transparent mobile carriers". That makes it much harder to deal with than SARS.

Reactions: Keven702
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
The official stats show the WuHan coronavirus is less virulent than the 2003 SARS (3% vs 9% mortality rate). But the official figures have come under questions since citizens reporters reported hospitals being under extreme pressure. Test kits, masks and beds are nearly exhausted. In one occasion out of 80 confirmed cases, 75 were sent home to be self isolated.

So the figures look better than it is in reality. We might have to wait and see. It could last longer than the SARS.

I do hope the CNT a good health.

Reactions: sampletext
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Do you think that will have negative impact for training and preparation for CNT? It's tough situation I suppose for players and coaches

I definitely think so. Having to get used to a new environment, worrying about their families back home and most importantly, fewer resources at their disposal in a foreign country.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020

I think this is right.
The Team is the same from the German Open there.
If you are smart, you are somewhere else than in China.Much too risky before the Team WM and Olympia.The CNT team for the Spanish Open has been completely eliminated

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Jan 2018
The problem now is the moment they land in China, they're pretty much grounded as countries worldwide deny entry for flights from China. So it's likely they'll have to stay overseas for next half year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Janard
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
I am thinking, just in case Olympic has to be postponed for 1 year, how will that affect the CNT selection? ML, XX, DN, LSW will all be a year older...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
The problem now is the moment they land in China, they're pretty much grounded as countries worldwide deny entry for flights from China. So it's likely they'll have to stay overseas for next half year.

Just wondering how that impacts the entire China Olympic team, I'm taking all athletes, coaches, trainers and even supporters from China.

Just thinking to contain the virus and not risk effecting a population and athletes when they return to their own countries, should they either cancel the event or consider other alternatives, I don't think looks good at opening ceremy say 30 athletes from China walking down. Sensitive matter, but tough questions need be asked and tough decisions too.

Jan 2018
After a quick look, it appears postponement has never happened. The Games in 1916, 1940 and 1944 were cancelled due to WWI and WWII. They tried to move 1940 from Japan to Finland 2 months ahead but it didn't work out.

So if it does get postponed, the odds are against China.

Jan 2018
Just wondering how that impacts the entire China Olympic team, I'm taking all athletes, coaches, trainers and even supporters from China.

Just thinking to contain the virus and not risk effecting a population and athletes when they return to their own countries, should they either cancel the event or consider other alternatives, I don't think looks good at opening ceremy say 30 athletes from China walking down. Sensitive matter, but tough questions need be asked and tough decisions too.

Actually, the risk of athletes/coaches/staff getting sick is pretty low since they always keep the training sites off-limits to the public in the Olympic year(closed training is in itself a form of quarantine). The problem is getting them from China to other countries to compete before the Games in July, if they ever have to go back.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
They will get the CoronaVirus under control before the Olympic Games. The BioTech companies are working on that already.

As someone who works in biomedical life sciences, I think there is not enough time for anything in time for Olympics.

Status
Not open for further replies.