Caronavirus & Tokyo 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I think it's very very sad news that Tokyo 2020 will officially become Tokyo 2021. Why? I think that marks the impossibility for Ma Long to get his second gold in olympic singles.

You think this skills will degrade enough that Fan becomes unstoppable or LYJ and Harimoto get too strong? I don't think so. I think the extra one year gives him time to get healthier.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Yes that's what I believe. FZD will get better and ML will get older.

You think this skills will degrade enough that Fan becomes unstoppable or LYJ and Harimoto get too strong? I don't think so. I think the extra one year gives him time to get healthier.

Reactions: ping fun
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
Screenshot_20200324-182411_Instagram.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Andy Smith

The people who died didn't even take chloroquine drugs. They took chloroquine phosphate meant for fish tanks. We need to draw the line somewhere at personal responsibility. I don't think people over 70 years old should be permitted to be Presidents and I agree that Trump is an idiot, but I think blaming even stupid individual actions on Trump leads to a loss of wisdom.

The specifics don't matter, but only because Trump operates in a swirl of unspecific nonsense which his supporters act on. I wish specifics DID matter, because then he'd get dragged away from the cameras when he made baseless, misleading claims. But he has fostered an anti-expert, anti-rational environment.

Any reasonable human being who found themselves as president of the USA would know that speaking in front of an entire nation, many of whom are rightly worried about the pandemic, and making foolish claims about drugs will lead to tragic consequences. As leader you should have a civic duty to give clear, evidence-based guidance to an entire nation - an enormous population containing a vast array of different people of different educational levels and life experience. Because leaders getting details and specifics wrong on their massive platforms leads to tragic outcomes. Blaming the victims alone does nothing but absolve any leader of the consequences of their actions and words. Which is a sad state of affairs.

Reactions: tropical
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Yeah but people travel all over the world

That was once, upon a long time ago, NL.

The point being, if (if and when the tempest calms down) we all just revert to our "old normal" ways we truly haven't learned a thing (and deserve what'll be coming to us, by our own doing).

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Abe said on TV he had just spoken to Bach suggesting that Tokyo Olympics be postponed 1 year.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
We can go on about how the guy who died trying to make his own chlorique was inspired by a speech from the president. We might see 50 or 500 deaths of this. Each one wrong, but lets look at a larger scale of deaths from medical professionals in USA.

What is not spoken so often in USA on media these days is the kind of medical mistake(s) that furthers injury or causes death in USA. We are talking about doctors and administrators we are by default very trusting of.

The magnitude of these medical mistakes is 250,000+ per year in USA per the study.

This isn't a situation of a USA president mouthing off and citizens doing things that result in their death. We are talking about medical professionals that we trust to provide care without causing death. We are talking about Doctors, nurses, and hospital staff directly doing some mistake by action or inaction that results in the death of someone in their care.

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/medical-mistakes-what-you-should-know

John Hopkins did this study in 2016 and it got some significant press coverage for a spell. The above link is one random link from google search.

Some institutions believe the study overstates the fatalities. Either way, medical mistakes are real and significant in numbers. It provides some

Another study shows there are around 1000 errors per day with medicines in USA medical facilities. (We are not talking about people trying make their own drug)

Drug errors: About 1,000 preventable medication errors happen in hospitals each day, usually when the person is prescribed an incorrect dose. Stay safe by knowing the exact name of all drugs you’re taking, why, and exactly how to take them. You should also keep a list of all medications you're taking, including supplements and vitamins, to avoid harmful interactions.

We can make an obvious conclusion that there is a very large amount of real risk in USA health care, despite the dedication, professionalism and continued efforts of our industry to not cause death.

The point I make is that medical professionals make mistakes too (that end up in people dying), that drugs that are approved by FDA and administered by medical professionals may end up killing people too, and that this happens from medical professionals who we trust and are absolutely not intending to kill people... and that it (I mean medical mistakes - drug errors are under 50% of the totals) happens on a scale that is deep six digits per year in USA alone.

I saw this a LOT in my years in the military. Over the years, our military got a lot better about it. It is now common practice for the medical provider to talk with the person needing care before doing anything to verify who the person is, what condition is being addressed, exactly where the treatment needs to happen (like checking if it is the left knee or right), verifying the medication, dosage and recommendations of the medicine before administering...

These are the kind of common sense precautions that happen now that didn't before. In older days, the medical professinal would look at some paperwork and do things based off that without checking. Many mistakes happened in that situation. It takes only a little time to check. The mistake avoidance improvement of doing this far outweights inconvenience. This is an example of learning from mistakes and implementing effective countermeasures.

Last edited:
Reactions: pingpongpaddy
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Although mostly, I hold the stance of people should be responsible for their actions, I have to side with Andy on a small portion of the ratio of responsibility.

If a person ingests harmful chems into their body willingly, that was stupid and their fault. Still, a goodly chunk of these were inspired by a viral video challenge to do that. People were not doing that in number before the viral vids challenging people to be dumb and swallow chems, yet people in large number did after the vids went viral and people in large numbers were not doing it beofre.

The ones making vids and glamorizing this behavior have some responsibility. I would agree with Andy's way of thinking in this case, although I would be inclined to put the bulk of the repsonsibility on the individuals. There would be enough time and data to show some level of responsibility in that situation that the vid makers/glamorizers have some accountability.

We could take it too far in this direction too. USA litigation-happy culture has resulted in requiring companies to place warning on packaging that are essentially common sesnse, but many have gone to court successfully to make a company responsible for someone not following good sense.

In Germany some years back, an elderly couple were driving on the autobahn. They were using a navigation program. The navigation, about 100-200 meters before the exit, announced "Turn Right"... so the one driving (the guy I guess) turned right... right after the navigation said to turn right... the driver turned too soon and went off the autobahn to crash. I do not believe they were seriously injured, but it could have happened.

Who gets how much responsibility in this situation? If this happened in USA and there were not several warning statements on the packaging and instructions warning that the individual should maintain situational awareness, the courts would side with the guy every time.

Is Nitendo and its software sub-company responsible for people downloading Pokémon Go and walking into danger with zero to little situational awareness and injuring themselves (or others)? Is Apple and Samsung responsible for people glued to their smart phones and walk oblivious into traffic or off a cliff?

I might weight repsonisbility more towards the individual in those situations.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Although mostly, I hold the stance of people should be responsible for their actions, I have to side with Andy on a small portion of the ratio of responsibility.

These things are never, IMO, black and white. Trump, being in the position he is in, must take some responsibility for the messages he sends out. The people on the receiving end must also take some responsibility for the madness of their actions, no doubt. I'm still amazed that we live in a time when either of these things actually happened - Trump talking about chloroquine in the way he did, and people self-medicating. However, we're in a pandemic, people will be in a state of panic, so a leader's choice of words becomes more important than usual.

For me, the bigger picture on this is the lack of trust the public will have in any message from Trump. You have to have some faith that your leader is acting in the public interest, from a position of solid evidence, or you question everything they say. Questioning may be good for rational skeptics. But for those without the time or inclination then there's a risk that they simply ignore everything Trump says. So later on in this pandemic, when social distancing becomes incredibly important and Trump holds a press conference trying to influence public behaviour, his authority has been so eroded by his past madness that people won't listen. The president who cried wolf. And you can take personal responsibility all you like, but if the virus is spread in an uncontrolled manner by others then your responsible position means very little. You'll catch it simply because enough people didn't listen to the advice, they gave it to you via some means, you'll go to the hospital and the ICU will be overloaded.

So we can point our fingers at individuals all we want, and assign whatever blame we want, and behave as impeccably as we might think we are. But in a pandemic, the statistical behaviour of the herd is linked to your survival. And if your leader can't inform the herd in a safe, sensible way then he puts you at indirect risk. I hope the american voters hold him to account for that, rather than taking personal credit for coming out the other side in spite of him.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
No change shall be done in the Tokyo 2020 olympic emblem design. Likewise, all the olympic graphics and tickets.
Glad for Japan commercials.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
So much revisionist history already.
The libtards howled and screamed when Trump took action to stop Chinese citizens from flying to the US.
This was long before the corrupt and incompetent WHO called this a pandemic.
Poor Italy didn't stop flights until it was way too late. Their health care system was rated 2nd best by the WHO. It may be under normal circumstances but is makes no difference if if is taken by surprise.
So Baal, which one of the libtards was saying we should do more? What more? Even spending a trillion dollars or more will not help that much except for perhaps get us ready for the next one that may occur in the next 100 years. Money can be used only so fast efficiently. Do you remember hurricane Harvey? This CCP virus is similar to a 100 year flood or Harvey.

The mortality rate isn't getting much better. Actually it is getting much worse if you don't count the bogus Chinese data.

Baal want to criticize Trump when it was Baal that was repeating the lame stream media number of 0.6%. Heck, 0.6% that doesn't look like a big problem but 10%+ mortality rates are. Even if you only look at the case fatality rate of deaths/infected the rate is 4.36% (17115/392176) even if you include the bogus Chinese data. If you don't include the Chinese data then things look dim and grim.
I can't believe kids want to play on the beaches during spring break.

I am working at home and self isolating now. None of my practice partners don't want to come to my table at work so there is no need for me to go to work. I have a rowing machine. Usually I get more exercise stepping over it than using it.
I am actually working on a simulation but not for epidemics.
Non-essential businesses in Washington State must close within 48 hrs. I don't know for how long. My company has been deemed essential but what we need to do doesn't require most people to be at work. Also, orders are slow.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Oct 2016
Read 5 reviews
Its funny but one year later Harimoto will be taller, with longer wingspan with better physical characteristics
he will be mixture of Oh Sang Eun with Ma Long processor and with DMX voice " HT GON GIVE IT TO YA"

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
BB, the choice of word you are using for the political left isn't gunna endear your post to many.

Baal will speak for himself about what he thinks about the matter of lethality percentage and is big boy enough to do so, but as a person not him from another perspective, I can say he looks to me all along to be using/analyzing data he saw and making his professional conclusions.

Since it is impossible to truly know the actual number infected in USA, it is impossible to say such and such a number for the lethality percentage of infected to death. The actual lethality percentage may be much lower if there are significant numbers of people infected not captured with a test or other means of identification. That may or may not be the case, but an amount of it is likely.

Still, this is showing to be significantly more lethal percentage than average of the flu we have had the last decade. Any common sense analysis of facts will support that.

We know how it spreads, we have common sense means of minimizing the impact, we are doing that, and still need personal and collective improvement.

I can hope everyone is doing right for their immune systems, can get the right rest, nutrition, calm, can get enough groceries to sustain, can collectively avoid infection, not spread, and get through the times. A lot of us posting, regardless of how we have viewed things believe this kind of message.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Jan 2018
Give me a break. Even in Nigeria people started self dosing chloroquine stupidly and at least they were taking real pills not stuff to be put in fish tanks. You can't account for every stupid thing people will do because of what someone said.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. The reason I added "I feel bad for Fauci" at the end was that the couple decided to trust Trump instead of Fauci. Seriously? What's the point of having Fauci on the podium then? Only to correct him(apparently not working) so that the democrats can't go after him?

https://www.businessinsider.com/dr-fauci-facepalm-covered-his-face-after-stuck-lozenge-2020-3
Fauci has undercut several of Trump's claims in recent days, including whether or not an anti-malaria medication called chloroquine was proven to be beneficial in the treatment of the coronavirus. When asked about Trump's description of the drug being a "game changer" and "approved," Fauci replied that the evidence was merely "anecdotal."

At least one person ingested the drug and died, according to NBC News. The man's wife told NBC News Trump's remarks had directly influenced his decision to take the drug and led him to falsely believe it could have protected him from the coronavirus. As of now, there are no known cures or vaccines to the coronavirus.

"But I can't jump in front of the microphone and push him down," Fauci said in an interview with Science Magazine when asked about Trump's mischaracterizations. "OK, he said it. Let's try and get it corrected for the next time."

Status
Not open for further replies.