Caronavirus & Tokyo 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
https://www.facebook.com/ydemoulin/videos/1947480278717463/

Even if you get the virus the chances to stay alive are great, but if you panic you may die of a heart attack, not of the virus.

I've been in panic situations more than once. Crowd stampeding in panic, with people trampled to death, for no reason at all; and, in a building where (a relatively contained/limited) fire broke out: also, people getting squashed at the emergency exits, some perishing and some getting away with broken ribs, arms — and people actually jumping from (high) windows and running into the fire in sheer panic.

And yes, angry mobs are also a panic phenomenon. I somehow obtained an active distaste for panic even though I'm fully convinced of the need for decisive and swift action in emergency situations.

The fallacy ’something's wrong and dangerous, we should so something; X is something, therefore we should do X’ is altogether much too common to my taste. That may be overly sensitive on my part, but then again perhaps not.

Reactions: bricec
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
@zeio and others in HK or China

what is the situation in your country ? is there some kind of quarantine or restrictions ?

do you believe the numbers from your governments ?

Korea announced more new cases than China today... suggesting China is being contained but not Korea. is it possible ?

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Though I don't want to use the term, it's "largely contained" in HK as of this writing. Of the 92 confirmed cases, 2 died, both of whom had diabetes, and 24 have been discharged.

As the pundits admitted in a talk show yesterday, 3rd-generation infection has already happened but is limited for the time being. The dozen new cases for the past few days are all related and can be traced to a single source. The folks stuck on the Diamond Princess were brought back home by charter flights and are still in quarantine, with several of them testing positive after arrival. Overall, local people have started calming down and largely stopped stocking up. Supplies of mask and disinfectant are still tight but slowly getting better.

OTOH, Macau has had 0 new cases for 3 weeks now, 10 cases in total, 8 discharged, 0 dead.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Just the day after Trump said the US has it under control, a new case with no clear route of infection popped up and your man changed his tone.

Trump: Huawei poses a grave threat to the US national security. Boom, Crypto AG, where the CIA and BND had been spying over rigged equipment sold to over 120 countries, of course except China and Russia, since WWII until 2018.

I believe the US did this to sab0tage China just as much as China cultivated this in the lab in an attempt to wipe humanity off this planet. /s
conspiracy theorists are so contemptible

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I find it strange that there are less victims in HK than Korea or Iran, but hey why not... good for HK.

Closer monitoring, demography, general welfare (environment, density of population, health care quantity and quality per capita), and health-relevant cultural aspects (such as percentages of smokers, and other substance use) might explain a lot. (Censure may also help; in calamities, much like in war, truth is among the first casualties.)

Reactions: zeio
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I find it strange that there are less victims in HK than Korea or Iran, but hey why not... good for HK.

Closer monitoring, demography, general welfare (environment, density of population, health care quantity and quality per capita), and health-relevant cultural aspects (such as percentages of smokers, and other substance use) might explain a lot. (Censure may also help; in calamities, much like in war, truth is among the first casualties.)

When SARS happened, they really did their homework on how to handle a situation like that. This shows that work they did paid off.

USA is more underprepared than anyone can imagine with a president who is trying to tell people that this is not a problem and it is a good time to buy stocks because he fears, if the stock market goes down, it will be harder for him to get reelected. So, he only cares about looking good. Not taking care of the problem. :)

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
USA is more underprepared than anyone can imagine with a president who is trying to tell people that this is not a problem (…)

Well, it's actually a bit worse. The citrus fruit colored autocrat in charge of the lawless kleptocracy that now rules across the pond has actually gone to great length to dismantle/sab*tage all and every facility that could have coped with pandemics:

”In the spring of 2018, the White House pushed Congress to cut funding for Obama-era disease security programs, proposing to eliminate $252 million in previously committed resources for rebuilding health systems in Ebola-ravaged Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea. Under fire from both sides of the aisle, President Donald Trump dropped the proposal to eliminate Ebola funds a month later. But other White House efforts included reducing $15 billion in national health spending and cutting the global disease-fighting operational budgets of the CDC, NSC, DHS, and HHS. And the government’s $30 million Complex Crises Fund was eliminated.”
(https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/01/3...ited-states-public-health-emergency-response/)

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Because after all, who needs science to make informed decisions?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
@zeio and others in HK or China

what is the situation in your country ? is there some kind of quarantine or restrictions ?

do you believe the numbers from your governments ?

Korea announced more new cases than China today... suggesting China is being contained but not Korea. is it possible ?

Korea has gone ahead with a massive testing drive of all people deemed even remotely possible to get the virus. So there is a huge surge in numbers. But overall new people in quarantine only rose by 29. So there is a silver lining in the numbers.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well, it's actually a bit worse. The citrus fruit colored autocrat in charge of the lawless kleptocracy that now rules across the pond has actually gone to great length to dismantle/sab*tage all and every facility that could have coped with pandemics:

”In the spring of 2018, the White House pushed Congress to cut funding for Obama-era disease security programs, proposing to eliminate $252 million in previously committed resources for rebuilding health systems in Ebola-ravaged Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea. Under fire from both sides of the aisle, President Donald Trump dropped the proposal to eliminate Ebola funds a month later. But other White House efforts included reducing $15 billion in national health spending and cutting the global disease-fighting operational budgets of the CDC, NSC, DHS, and HHS. And the government’s $30 million Complex Crises Fund was eliminated.”
(https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/01/3...ited-states-public-health-emergency-response/)

You filled in a few of the blanks I was referring to. :) Precisely right.

Because after all, who needs science to make informed decisions?

Certainly not someone who prefers to make uniformed decisions. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Korea has gone ahead with a massive testing drive of all people deemed even remotely possible to get the virus. So there is a huge surge in numbers. But overall new people in quarantine only rose by 29. So there is a silver lining in the numbers.

505 confirmed in South Korea in the last day. The more they test, the more they find. 200K will be tested. I applaud South Korea's efforts. They will likely produce very reliable data on this pandemic that is not yet Pandemic (officially).

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
I don't believe the statistics of Russia, India and the African countries.
In fact I think the virus has been circulating long before the "Wuhan Problem".
Hundreds or thousands may have died because of the virus, but with other diagnosis.
And maybe there are millions out there, living happily with the virus.
Or maybe not. Who knaws, but its not WHO for sure.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hundreds or thousands may have died because of the virus, but with other diagnosis.

Hundreds or thousands of people do not die of a disease without people noticing in any country especially an infectious one. No need to be so dramatic.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
There can be a number of factors, the largest being the transmission conditions and the strength or lack of strength for the immune systems.

It is infinitely easier to be infected with virus, bacteria, mold, fungus, etc when immune system is comptimised and people are generally in closer space.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Langella makes a great point...

In USA alone, so many deaths are reported as this or that at the convenience of whoever signs death certificate. Even if the ones signing really tried to get it right, they do not have resources to do it right for everyone.

I do not how it is in the rest of the planet, but I would believe it is pretty much the same deal.

This opens the possibility of some things going on for a spell before a better awareness.

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hundreds or thousands of people do not die of a disease without people noticing in any country especially an infectious one. No need to be so dramatic.
I would agree that it is likely not in that kind of magnitude langel is saying

Last edited:

I'm speaking about hundreds or thousands in global aspect, not in a separate country.
This virus is mostly dangerous for older people, especially those above 70.
To say "infectious" you must have some reasons - family members with same symptoms, test results and so on.
Otherwise its just pneumonia, or hard attack, or whatever, which is usual to older people.
But I'm not dramatic at all. I take it as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.