Caronavirus & Tokyo 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Because this is a health issue and I know Baal actually knows the science behind all this (that is part of his job) and because crazy ideas (like curing cancer with baking soda) can only make things worse for the people who are legitimately freaked out about COVID-19, I am going to say:

It is worth understanding the import of Baal's posts.

The best place to get good information on how to avoid infection from the COVID-19 CoronaVirus may just be from the CDC website:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/prevention-treatment.html

For now, lets try to stay safe and calm. And I hope nobody gets the more pernicious versions of the virus that cause pneumonia.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
-This post should be moderated for name calling.
Yes, but I agree with Baal this time.

I just wish I could get away with it because I see a lot of moronic things posted on TT forums.
I could make a long list. If you ever wanted to see a hot topic, I can provide one.

Just because you see some information on the net doesn't mean it is correct. You need to look for credible sources. I don't consider anything coming from an official Chinese news source credible.
I have two ext - Chinese citizens working for me. They keep track about what is happening on WeChat.

I got my information about sodium bicarbonate from WebMD. I am at the age where one better do some research on the drugs the doctor prescribes.

I recognize the formula that Baal posted from a Wikipedia page.

I learned how baking soda dissociates in high school.
I had a long course on water chemistry in the US navy that dealt with maintaining pH in narrow bands.
Maintaining the correct pH in nuclear reactors and steam generators is critical.

Now what really p!$$e$ me off is that someone died of the Wuhan flu in Washington state. We were told that there was one person that recovered but we have not be told how many people are now infected or suspected. Many states or cities have a gag order. That makes us no better than China.

We should have closed our borders earlier and not taken back any of the infected US citizens.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
@langel
that could be a reasonable explanation but it doesn't match facts. Coronavirus is not a new thing. But the current strain of coronavirus is unique, it's different genome, with some unique properties which make it a much more dangerous thing than anything seen.

It is also true that by fighting the coronavirus, and do basic things like washing hands , wearing masks etc... one is also fighting regular flu as well. Thats a silver lining, if we can survive the epidemic, if we keep the good habits, we will be less exposed to corona and other flu viruses next time.

now here are some new facts from Korea about infected people, and they may be a surprise for a lot of you

Women : 2197(62.3%) men :1329(37.7%)
Under 10 : 27
10s : 137
20s:1054
30s :426
40s:521
50s:687
60s:453
70s: 158
more than and equal 80: 63

There are much more young people infected than you would think. I can't really explain why women are more infected than men. Because they are the ones doing shopping ? or that weird sect attracted mainly females ?

@Carl
sure we will find drugs against this virus. Some doctors already suggest that some existing drugs are already effective. The problem is we have enough of these drugs to treat 10,000s not millions. And its not sure those are 100% effective or prevent re-infection, and they probably have very important side effects as well. We don't understand everything about this virus yet. It will probably take 1 or 2 years to develop a satisfying treatment. In the meanwhile many can fall victim to the virus.

One of the more interesting things about the data from China is that very few children are getting sick. Not a single reported death in a child under 10 as of a few days ago. Not clear why. In Korea kids are underrepresented but maybe less so, but none have died. Kids are normally MORE susceptible to respiratory viruses so the numbers in kids are surprising. In China more men than women have been getting sick. From these data, it is very different in Korea. One big difference is the rate of smoking, especially heavy smoking, in S Korea vs China. About 36% of males in Korea smoke, a lot lower than in China, but still more than double in the US. If that is the explanation, then we can expect men and women to be equally affected in the US. Or this Male female difference could be statistical anomaly. Death rates in Italy have been higher than one might expect.

Let's hope chloroquine treatment works out. I think that can be produced in large quantities reasonably quickly. A few case reports (a low standard of evidence) were nevertheless encouraging.

Another broad spectrum antiviral drug called remdesivir is also pretty promising. It is still investigational. Phase 3 clinical trials began last week in China, also trials in Japan and the US (but a lot fewer patients to test). I would bet on it working based on what we know from laboratory studies (in test tubes and in monkeys who have closely related MERS coronavirus. Given the course of the disease, we will know a lot more pretty soon, and a few weeks I would think.

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I am surprised that nobody brought up the "health" benefits of hydrogen peroxide and how/why the evil globalist are suppressing this knowledge.

Here is a little fun fact that the Globalists and the Libruhl Media don't want you to know.

In phagocytic cells a pair of enzmes (NOX2 and catalase) produce hydrogen peroxide, which then reacts with chloride ions in an acidic environment to produce.............. bleach!!!! Good old Chlorox bleach. And that is the stuff that actually kills bacteria or fungi that are engulfed by phagocytic immune cells like macrophages. True fact. People who are missing the components needed to do that end up with a weird chronic granulomatous disease (where the bacteria continue to live inside the immune cells).

But the Libruhls and such are now saying that it is a bad idea to drink bleach!!! /s

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Here is a little fun fact that the Globalists and the Libruhl Media don't want you to know.

In phagocytic cells a pair of enzmes (NOX2 and catalase) produce hydrogen peroxide, which then reacts with chloride ions in an acidic environment to produce.............. bleach!!!! Good old Chlorox bleach. And that is the stuff that actually kills bacteria or fungi that are engulfed by phagocytic immune cells like macrophages. True fact. People who are missing the components needed to do that end up with a weird chronic granulomatous disease (where the bacteria continue to live inside the immune cells).

But the Libruhls and such are now saying that it is a bad idea to drink bleach!!! /s

This definitely made me laugh. :)

Replenished rubbing alcohol, bleach, and hydrogen peroxide. Only the later is a good oral rinse, although Spring Scented bleach would leave my breath with that flowery taste. /joke

I do use rubbing alcohol after my TT practice sessions as a muscle rub to prevent cramping. Since it's applied with the hands, that doubles as a disinfectant.

Sleep. One of the often overlooked ways the body can replenish itself and fight back.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Replenished rubbing alcohol, bleach, and hydrogen peroxide. Only the later is a good oral rinse, although Spring Scented bleach would leave my breath with that flowery taste. /joke

I do use rubbing alcohol after my TT practice sessions as a muscle rub to prevent cramping. Since it's applied with the hands, that doubles as a disinfectant.

Sleep. One of the often overlooked ways the body can replenish itself and fight back.

what? can't drink my bleach anymore? by the way, bleach would be a killer surface disinfectant if you needed one. Also I've heard, that if you don't have alcohol based hand disinfectant (because they are all sold out somehow ;) ), you can use high proof alcohol ranging 60-80 percent to rub your hands (and mouth ;)) to kill the virus, so I don't drink all your Absinthe yet. If you have a stronger alcohol then 80%, it will conserve the virus...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Because this is a health issue and I know Baal actually knows the science behind all this (that is part of his job) and because crazy ideas (like curing cancer with baking soda) can only make things worse for the people who are legitimately freaked out about COVID-19, I am going to say:

It is worth understanding the import of Baal's posts.

The best place to get good information on how to avoid infection from the COVID-19 CoronaVirus may just be from the CDC website:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/prevention-treatment.html

For now, lets try to stay safe and calm. And I hope nobody gets the more pernicious versions of the virus that cause pneumonia.

There is a recent report that CDC let go a Wuhan evacuee after testing negative after several weeks of quarantine, only to be found +ve again. Not sure CDC or anybody really fully understands it yet.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/02/health/wuhan-evacuee-san-antonio/index.html

I hope this is not some kind of hiv type of virus which can hide in humans for a long time. PS - I have no medical knowledge.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Yes, but I agree with Baal this time.

I just wish I could get away with it because I see a lot of moronic things posted on TT forums.
I could make a long list. If you ever wanted to see a hot topic, I can provide one.

Just because you see some information on the net doesn't mean it is correct. You need to look for credible sources. I don't consider anything coming from an official Chinese news source credible.
I have two ext - Chinese citizens working for me. They keep track about what is happening on WeChat.

I got my information about sodium bicarbonate from WebMD. I am at the age where one better do some research on the drugs the doctor prescribes.

I recognize the formula that Baal posted from a Wikipedia page.

I learned how baking soda dissociates in high school.
I had a long course on water chemistry in the US navy that dealt with maintaining pH in narrow bands.
Maintaining the correct pH in nuclear reactors and steam generators is critical.

Now what really p!$$e$ me off is that someone died of the Wuhan flu in Washington state. We were told that there was one person that recovered but we have not be told how many people are now infected or suspected. Many states or cities have a gag order. That makes us no better than China.

We should have closed our borders earlier and not taken back any of the infected US citizens.

It is almost impossible to help things like this from spreading. It could be one of these infected people entered the US before people really knew this was a problem, and that's all it takes. Still, when the first response is to call it a political hoax, and then putting Mike Pence in charge and telling people like Dr. Anthony Fauci to keep quiet... it terrifies me.

Washington state seems to be a place in the US where this could get out of control. They dont say where. Seattle? Somewhere else? So be really vigilant about hand washing, and keep your hands away from your face. Buy a thermometer so if you begin to feel crappy you can check for a fever. Avoid crowds. Get good sleep.

Reactions: Vlad Celler
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
There is a recent report that CDC let go a Wuhan evacuee after testing negative after several weeks of quarantine, only to be found +ve again. Not sure CDC or anybody really fully understands it yet.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/02/health/wuhan-evacuee-san-antonio/index.html

I hope this is not some kind of hiv type of virus which can hide in humans for a long time. PS - I have no medical knowledge.

It might be the test kit they were using. It is only 70% sensitive. A better one will be out soon.

Currently we have here a type B flu epidemic and many schools are closed. That flu allready killed, earlier this year, 1 here and 12 in Greece. Now its the second wave. It hits mainly younger people up to 30 years old.
Here we still don't have confirmed corona virus. For now at least statistcally the B flu is more dangerous.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
China's original and fundamental principles for table tennis - 快、準、狠(fast, accurate and vicious) carry over in the fight against COVID-19.

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/2/21161067/coronavirus-covid19-china
Julia Belluz
Okay, so most of the measures used in China to stop the virus were traditional public health moves that are broadly accepted — and the draconian measures were rarer. Is there any sense of what in China’s toolkit was most effective?

Bruce Aylward
I think the key learning from China is speed — it’s all about the speed. The faster you can find the cases, isolate the cases, and track their close contacts, the more successful you’re going to be. Another big takeaway is that even when you have substantial transmission with a lot of clusters — because people are looking at the situation in some countries now and going, “Oh, gosh, what can be done?” — what China demonstrates is if you settle down, roll up your sleeves, and begin that systematic work of case finding and contact tracing, you definitely can change the shape of the outbreak, take the heat out of it, and prevent a lot of people from getting sick and a lot of the most vulnerable from dying.

The question becomes, then, how did they do that, and how much of it is replicable? Since coming back from China, everybody I talk to begins with, “We can’t lock down a city of 15 million people like China.” I say, “Why would you ever want to?” And I ask, “Does your population know x, y, z [about the virus]?” I learn they haven’t started with the basics.

So, No. 1, if you want to get speed of response, your population has to know this disease. You find any population in the West and ask them what are the two presenting signs you have to be alert to. What would you say?
Julia Belluz
Can we trust China’s data?

Bruce Aylward
The big question is, are they hiding things? No, they are not. We looked at many different things to try to corroborate that cases are dropping. When I went to fever clinics and talked to people working there, they’d say, “We used to have a line out the door, and now we see a case once per hour.”

According to the national data, fever clinics went from seeing 46,000 people per day at one point and it’s now down to 1,000. So there’s been a huge drop in numbers into the feeder system.

Second thing: When talking to physicians in hospitals, I heard again and again that we have open beds, we can get people isolated even more rapidly. I heard that in Wuhan and other provinces. The third thing: I talked to people running clinical trials of drugs, and they are having a problem recruiting patients. All these things helped corroborate [China’s data].

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Currently we have here a type B flu epidemic and many schools are closed. That flu allready killed, earlier this year, 1 here and 12 in Greece. Now its the second wave. It hits mainly younger people up to 30 years old.
Here we still don't have confirmed corona virus. For now at least statistcally the B flu is more dangerous.

"More dangerous" is an interesting statement, potentially hiding a lot of complexity.

What's the death rate of Type B? How does that compare to corona? How does that death rate change across different risk groups (age, existing health conditions, etc)? How do the treatment plan and outcome pathways compare with the two viruses? How much data, over how long a period of time, do we have for both? It's very hard to make direct comparisons between corona and anything else because it's a relatively new and isolated strain.

There's a world of difference between avoiding a panic, and asking the general population to take extra precautions over and above their usual behaviour during flu season. It's possible to strike a middle path where people take a bit more care, but don't panic. Equating corona with seasonal flu is dangerous IMO because it promotes a "business as usual, don't do anything more" attitude, and we do unfortunately need more to be done. The messaging to the general population is important - I've already seen a lot of pushback on social media by people who are specifically going to "carry on as normal" in the face of all the medical advice, and we're all snowflakes for taking extra precautions. This is a dangerous attitude, and more people will get infected, resulting in more deaths.

Bearing in mind that the data on corona is in almost constant flux it's incredibly hard to make substantial comparative claims about it, one way or the other, but the current analysis is not good:

https://www.lbc.co.uk/hot-topics/coronavirus/why-its-more-than-just-another-flu-virus/

14 times more "potent" than "winter flu". Take this with a pinch of salt (and a bath full of sodium bicarb, I presume).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Fresh news
https://www.niigata-nippo.co.jp/news/national/20200303528481.html

5 persons from the same table tennis school in Niigata prefecture got infected today. More details to come later.

I repeat, TT is a dangerous sport in the current Covid environment.
people pick up everyone's balls, tables are dirty and full of sweat, changing rooms are also a place to get the virus.

Please avoid going to your club until the epidemic go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.