Caronavirus & Tokyo 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Caronavirus & Tokyo 2020

It’s been painfully obvious that even considering a near-future superspreading event is utter folly.

That being said, accepting change (loss) is hard, very hard for things deeply invested in. I guess why the (inevitable) postponement/cancellation has to go through the usual mourning stages of denial, anger and grief before arriving at acceptance.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
2032 Olympic Games, Solomon Islands

Sqn2h4NzDeo.jpg

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Caronavirus & Tokyo 2020

Yes, there have been pandemics before. And we’re better equipped now than, say, we were for the Black Death.

That being said, we do need to reasses and restructure a lot of things. The way we interact with animals, especially in the food industry. The wealth gap. Corporate Robber baronism. Logistics as a whole.

One alarming thing that’s bothering me how eager (relatively; too many deniers, obstructionist and scavengers, even though we need a concerted response along other lines) we are to deal with this crisis. On the good side, we seem to accept radical changes to cope. For now.

While gruesome, CV has a substantial survival rate. Meanwhile the climate crisis, the upcoming mass extinction event, is still being widely ignored. I fully expect a firing on all cylinders to “catch up” and reboot the same fatally flawed economy when, eventually, the Corona crisis subsides.

I’d say Corona, grim though it is, is just the skirmish to the greater battle that we cannot afford to lose. And we’re even much poorer equipped for it than we were for CV.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Yes.

What also bothers me is science denial. Especially as a political strategy.

America's leadership is totally anti-rational. Not just irrational, but goes out of its way to attack rationality as an approach to things. Truly a horrible time to be subject to a pandemic.

I suppose we shouldn't be surprised that the man who bragged about molesting women on a bus and has trouble stringing a sentence together turned out to be bad at managing an international crisis.

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
America's leadership is totally anti-rational. Not just irrational, but goes out of its way to attack rationality as an approach to things. Truly a horrible time to be subject to a pandemic.

That's just textbook totalitarian (fascist, in this case) tactics.

“In an ever-changing, incomprehensible world the masses had reached the point where they would, at the same time, believe everything and nothing, think that everything was possible and that nothing was true. ... Mass propaganda discovered that its audience was ready at all times to believe the worst, no matter how absurd, and did not particularly object to being deceived because it held every statement to be a lie anyhow. The totalitarian mass leaders based their propaganda on the correct psychological assumption that, under such conditions, one could make people believe the most fantastic statements one day, and trust that if the next day they were given irrefutable proof of their falsehood, they would take refuge in cynicism; instead of deserting the leaders who had lied to them, they would protest that they had known all along that the statement was a lie and would admire the leaders for their superior tactical cleverness.”
― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism

“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the convinced Communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction (i.e., the reality of experience) and the distinction between true and false (i.e., the standards of thought) no longer exist.”

“Before mass leaders seize the power to fit reality to their lies, their propaganda is marked by its extreme contempt for facts as such, for in their opinion fact depends entirely on the power of man who can fabricate it.”

Last edited:
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Had Department of Defense invested, let's say $50B over the previous decade, in technologies to design and produce vaccines and drugs on-demand (~2 months), many lives would have been saved today. In addition $Trillions would not have burned due to present economic slump. But, who is counting?!

Heck, if Trump hadn't fired that single epidemiologist the CDC had in China last year; if any other response to adverse facts other than denial, bluster, scapegoating and whataboutism would have been made…

It took a concerted effort to dismantle the disaster handling capacity. It took a few decades of effort to dismantle all societal structures geared towards support of the poor, the needy, the unhealthy, and to cloak them in political taboo.

In the true spirit of ‘never waste a good crisis’ the same people responsible for the lack of coping ability now seek to funnel hundreds of billions into their buddies' BigCorp pockets. That Majority leader is certainly living up to his ‘Grim Reaper’ nom de plume!

Then again, people do get the society they opt for, as a whole. If only by way of complacency.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
It is clear that yoass has a liberal political agenda.
yoass forgets that Trump is for America first. He is not managing the rest of the world.
yoass seems to be mad at the US for something. He forgets that China is the source of this virus.
yoass forgets that China contributes twice as much pollution as the US but doesn't produce as much GDP wise. Even so China's GDP is inflated by building cities that no one lives in.
GDP is not a good measure of productive economic activity.

Al Gore said the ice caps would be gone and the poor polar bears would die. It didn't happen.

There is a wealth gap. Much is because the people just out of college want to be as wealthy as those about to retire that have had a life time to earn their wealth.
There is an education gap.
There is an IQ gap too.

Now who is a robber baron?

yoass, calm down.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
USA track and field and USA swimming don't want to attend games this year. They account for lots of medals and their voice counts heavily here.

Reactions: pingpongpaddy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
There are many times I look back at the events of my life and have regrets. But I will never regret turning down the job offers I had in the US.

Trump's lies are usually an interesting sideshow, but here is the one obvious moment in time where dishonesty, confusion, and unreliability will cost lives. And yet people still defend the indefensible. I'm sure there's some room for debate today, but in two weeks time there will be no hiding the end result of his inaction and downplaying of the risks. There will be zero debate then - only a desperate attempt to pin the blame on others.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
Studies on how coronaviruses infect host cells are getting more and more detailed. As scientists are beginning to understand in atomic level how the spike protein binds to the host receptors, a key step that initiates the whole infection process, I’m more convinced that heat will be a big disrupter to initial human2human transmission. I pray for an early, scorching summer.

Reactions: yoass
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
It is clear that yoass has a liberal political agenda.

Sorry, no such thing here. Don't confuse the presence of a fascist US dictator with the presence of a liberal agenda on my part.

yoass forgets that Trump is for America first. He is not managing the rest of the world.
yoass seems to be mad at the US for something. He forgets that China is the source of this virus.
yoass forgets that China contributes twice as much pollution as the US but doesn't produce as much GDP wise. Even so China's GDP is inflated by building cities that no one lives in.
GDP is not a good measure of productive economic activity.

Al Gore said the ice caps would be gone and the poor polar bears would die. It didn't happen.

There is a wealth gap. Much is because the people just out of college want to be as wealthy as those about to retire that have had a life time to earn their wealth.
There is an education gap.
There is an IQ gap too.

Now who is a robber baron?

yoass, calm down.

Melting glaciers of Greenland alone have made sea level rise 2.2mm already, this year only.

The "MAGA" shouts are thinly-veiled self enrichment. We have but one world, and in no sense is mass lethality due to a pandemic restricted to geopolicital borders. What can happen, is that one nation's lack of a rational response will seriously impact, in a detrimental fashion, the rest of the world's mortality rates. Similar to a single person ignoring all basic sanitary and social contact measures and thus becoming a ‘typhoid Mary’ to the rest.

Whereas I do sympathize with the local victims of wantonly cruel regimes, the effects are global in many cases — which makes it even more reprehensible.

Whataboutism about China, another cruel and totalitarian regime acting detrimentally to the health and safety of the world as a whole, does nothing to lift the burden of responsibility for any other government. "We're all in this together", as some people would say.

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Since the fate of Tokyo 2020 is uncertain now, why not?

Be sure to turn CC on! There is also an 8-min clip.
<iframe src="https://archive.org/embed/1_20200323_20200323_1708" width="640" height="480" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen="true" mozallowfullscreen="true" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The flame went out at least on 2 occasions and it took them a whopping 30 mins to light it...

https://www.nikkansports.com/general/nikkan/news/202003200000763.html

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Studies on how coronaviruses infect host cells are getting more and more detailed. As scientists are beginning to understand in atomic level how the spike protein binds to the host receptors, a key step that initiates the whole infection process, I’m more convinced that heat will be a big disrupter to initial human2human transmission. I pray for an early, scorching summer.

I hope so, but the effect will also require extreme public health efforts to coincide with temperature increases. Again, and it has to be emphasized repeatedly, it is not known exactly WHY the first SARS outbreak subsided with onset of summer, only that it did.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
I hope so, but the effect will also require extreme public health efforts to coincide with temperature increases. Again, and it has to be emphasized repeatedly, it is not known exactly WHY the first SARS outbreak subsided with onset of summer, only that it did.

Scientists are using High resolution Cryo Electron Microscopy to depict the spike protein structures in near atomic level focusing on two functional subunits S1 and S2. S1 is involved in binding to host receptor whereas S2 in fusing virus membrane with host membrane. A concerted sequence of conformational transitions is required for virus RNA be injected into host cell. The longer a coronavirus will remain active with the right S protein conformations outside of a human body, the higher transmission rate. High ambient temperature in summer is expected to drastically shorten that time.

In SARS era, such high resolution Cryo-EM was not available.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.