Caronavirus & Tokyo 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
Fresh news
https://www.niigata-nippo.co.jp/news/national/20200303528481.html

5 persons from the same table tennis school in Niigata prefecture got infected today. More details to come later.

I repeat, TT is a dangerous sport in the current Covid environment.
people pick up everyone's balls, tables are dirty and full of sweat, changing rooms are also a place to get the virus.

Please avoid going to your club until the epidemic go away.
nCH5XXZFD80.jpg

The sordid and unhealthy habit is now expected to cause a variety of viral epidemics the whole sport throughout.
We have just discussed this vexed issue with ITTF executive staff.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Sorbid is an interesting google translate...

Still, everyone is right in emphasizing the no shyt Sherlock common sense things that support a stronger immune system function and prevention of getting the virus on/in you.

Animals can get and spread this too, so it isn't so easy to close an airport, a border, a city, a neighborhood, or a house. Animals pay little attention to closed signs.

The reported origin was animal to human transmission.

Laying off French kissing the birds or the pooch for a while would be a sound measure too.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
cache.php

The sordid and unhealthy habit is now expected to cause a variety of viral epidemics the whole sport throughout.
We have just discussed this vexed issue with ITTF executive staff.

Wiping sweating hands on table is gross and it is long overdue to ban that. I would be happy for ITTF to make a rule on that.

But the one thing that we can't change is that our sport requires both players to put their hands on the ball repeatedly. And that can spread a virus.

If you are sick at all, please stay the f%%k home.

If this is going on around you, take some time off TT.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Light bulb moment for manufacturers: Antivirus balls and tables...

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
There is some molecular evidence now (looks solid but not yet peer-reviewed) that Covid19 has actually been in the US for several weeks now. If that's true here, probably true quite a few places. In the US the response has been about as bad as it is possible to be, primarily the fact that not enough testing kits are available and the test CDC insisted on at the start has big flaws. In the future we will learn more about screwups but underfunding public health systems is a bad policy. In any case, almost certainly this thing is going to be a part of life everywhere for quite awhile.

Please don't go to work or class if you are sick with anything! Please let your subordinates or students stay home if they are sick.

Langel is right that Covid19 is not showing up much in children, which is remarkable since kids are usually more susceptible to respiratory infections. Make no mistake though, this Covid19 is very bad for about 20% of people, even if most will survive it.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I just heard, on a news report that in reassessing the mortality rate, they find it is more like 3.4% rather than 2% which is kind of a big shift.

I am not looking forward to the change of the clocks this weekend and getting less sleep since I am one of those people who actually work on the weekends. Sunday morning is going to feel very early to me. :)

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
Huh, all the homesters are blessed, and all the travellers are reckless.
ITTF should now stop the whole whirligig dead. Primarily, for the sake of justice.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
There is some molecular evidence now (looks solid but not yet peer-reviewed) that Covid19 has actually been in the US for several weeks now. If that's true here, probably true quite a few places.
I don't doubt it. There are 14 suspected cases in the county where I live.

In the US the response has been about as bad as it is possible to be, primarily the fact that not enough testing kits are available and the test CDC insisted on at the start has big flaws.
The travel restrictions were not applied earlier enough. The WHO is complicit with Chinese cover up. The CDC didn't want to return the infected people from the cruise ship in Japan but they were over ridden by state department. Trump was furious. It was probably too late by then.

In the future we will learn more about screwups but underfunding public health systems is a bad policy. In any case, almost certainly this thing is going to be a part of life everywhere for quite awhile.
The CDC gets plenty of money.
Examples of waste.
https://www.mrc.org/articles/hey-journalists-15-ways-nih-and-cdc-wasted-taxpayer-money

The problem is what do you test for? Is there are general corono virus test? There hasn't been enough time to back a special Wuhan virus test let a lone a vaccine.

The death rate will be much higher than 3.4% if you figure the deaths to deaths and recovered ratio. There was an earlier post that said this method over estimates the mortality rate because people die faster than they recover. This is true but eventually at steady state ratio will be achieved after about a month or so after infection because either you die or recover by then.

So Baal going to make "no wiping your hands on the TT table" one of his rules?

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Agree with statement that there is much waste in govt, despite decades and century long efforts to eliminate it.

Money could be used more effectively in any organization. Issue is getting yo agree and priorities and what is effective.

In the long run, we look at what was spent and what we got. That tells a story.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I don't doubt it. There are 14 suspected cases in the county where I live.

The travel restrictions were not applied earlier enough. The WHO is complicit with Chinese cover up. The CDC didn't want to return the infected people from the cruise ship in Japan but they were over ridden by state department. Trump was furious. It was probably too late by then.

The CDC gets plenty of money.
Examples of waste.
https://www.mrc.org/articles/hey-journalists-15-ways-nih-and-cdc-wasted-taxpayer-money

The problem is what do you test for? Is there are general corono virus test? There hasn't been enough time to back a special Wuhan virus test let a lone a vaccine.

The death rate will be much higher than 3.4% if you figure the deaths to deaths and recovered ratio. There was an earlier post that said this method over estimates the mortality rate because people die faster than they recover. This is true but eventually at steady state ratio will be achieved after about a month or so after infection because either you die or recover by then.

So Baal going to make "no wiping your hands on the TT table" one of his rules?

A test is not the same thing as a vaccine. Developing a reliable and sensitive test for a virus is easy. This is not the first coronavirus known to medicine! By contrast, developing a vaccine is not easy. Part of what is making this hard to control is that a lot of people seem to have symptoms so mild that they barely notice and yet still have the virus and can transmit it. How many? Hard to know when you don't have a reliable test. But if you make estimates based on testing in other countries, it drives death rates down a lot, not up. It will end up being less than 1.5%. BUT, higher for older people, especially if they have other health issues. And of course being seriously ill with pneumonia is no joke even if you don't die.

All government agencies have inefficiencies CDC included, but again, in the world we live in, that is not the agencies you want to be cutting corners. And they sure as hell are cutting corners now. Also, attacking the titles of grant proposals without looking at the science within them is something "fiscal hawks" have been doing for many decades. Those "bilions" of dollars "wasted" are really trivial amounts in the context of US government spending in general. Those same "fiscal hawks" don't care about deficits when, as is usually the case, they generate them by waging chronic war against all government agencies and cut taxes for very wealthy people.

And as someone who has received government funding (for 30 years), and also funding from drug companies (and I consult for pharma companies), I can tell you that in terms of the way money is spent on research, we are orders of magnitude more efficient than when the same kinds of things are done in the private sector. (This is also true for researchers working within NIH, who function pretty much like academia except they get paid less). Sometimes what I see of how drug companies operate labs just makes me shake my head. Moreover, most of the ideas that lead to drugs are developed by NIH-funded academic researchers (and our equivalents in other many parts of the world). Small and Big Pharma takes those ideas and develops them into drugs and therapies. That's fine, it's kind of the way it's supposed to work actually. But without academic researchers, the pharma people go nowhere. They are benefiting greatly from US tax dollar expenditures. (That is not reflected in the prices they charge the people here, though, which are laughably high).

The CDC is a different thing. Kind of like FEMA, they are supposed to be ahead of the curve. The fact is that thousands of people are being tested for this virus in Korea, and right now that simply isn't possible in the US!! WTF!!!!!! And for that you can thank CDC and its current leadership. Given previous MERS and SARS events, they should have had contingency plans in place for the next animal-human coronavirus event. Who else was going to do it? Pfizer? The Army? Fox News?

That's the end of my rant. Wash your hands. Don't go to work if you're sick!

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Yup, USA could sent the Army to fight corona like they did with Ebola.

Developing a vaccine for virus is tricky and takes time. Virus can change by the time vaccine is fielded and it is a factor that reduces how effective the vaccine ultimately is.

Immunity through surviving direct exposure provides a very long term effective protection. Still, who wants to get in line at the airport to get some corona in person to achieve this? Not me.

Much better to do the things to keep immune system strong. Totally minimize added sugar, sugar substitutes, avoid stuff with processed flour, do not take antibiotics if possible, SLEEP... and nap when possible, drink real water, avoid meat where animals were fed as antibiotics, eat fresh greens, eat as much prebiotic stuff as possible, eat some fermented veggies if you can tolerate it, do NOT play tt 10 hrs a day 4 days in a row getting 4 hrs sleep a night...

Better to do Common Sense avoidance and hygiene as Baal and others have been saying.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
I just heard, on a news report that in reassessing the mortality rate, they find it is more like 3.4% rather than 2% which is kind of a big shift.
The 3.4% figure comes from this media briefing from the director general of the world health organization: "Globally, about 3.4% of reported COVID-19 cases have died. By comparison, seasonal flu generally kills far fewer than 1% of those infected." He ought to know this is a ridiculously misleading comparison; you can't calculate a meaningful death rate based on *reported* cases when only a fraction of the true number of cases is reported. So either the director general is an idiot, or he's intentionally trying to scare people, or both. Maybe he thinks the threat of this pandemic isn't being taken seriously enough, which might be correct in certain countries. In any case, most experts (see the New England Journal article referenced earlier in this thread) estimate a much lower COVID-19 death rate, with a good chance that it's under 1%. As Baal observed, this figure will doubtless be higher for older and sicker patients.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have a question. Not about this coronavirus.

With the common cold, a "remedy" that is often suggested in certain homeopath friendly circles, to help keep the cold away when you feel like you are coming down with something, or to make the cold get better faster when you have one, is Zinc.

Would that actually do anything? Or is that more fairy tales?

If it would do something for a common cold, is it possible it may be useful for COVID-19?

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Der_Echte takes some combination of magnesium to prevent and manage cramps, luckily, it also has zinc and vit D, so there is some help to immune system doing general preventive maintenance, but the stress of 2 long back to back match days can strain some ones system.

If there is something to zinc, which we need some anyway, I am getting some anyway. I haven't studied zinc, I think the effect of minerals we need is under-appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.