Caronavirus & Tokyo 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Sodium Bicarbonate dissolves and is a weak base. It will increase the pH of your blood a little. My mother used to mix a teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate in a glass of water for me when I had an upset stomach. There is also some hint that it is good for neutralizing acid build up in muscles when doing anaerobic exercising.

Basically ( pun ) sodium bicarbonate is a weak base that is buffered.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicarbonate_buffer_system
https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-11325/sodium-bicarbonate-oral/details
I see nothing about removing toxins. Let alone a virus.
Still, sodium bicarbonate, baking soda, is good stuff to have around.

I learned about this in high school chemistry class.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Among the grim news / facts of the day:

- a 45-day old baby got the virus in Korea.
https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200301001500320

- in France, already 1 big ER in Paris (Hôpital Tenon) closed because staff was infected. In another ER, they told patients who presented symptoms to go home without testing because they were already lacking testing kits...
https://www.la-croix.com/France/Cor...al-Tenon-reduit-voilure-2020-02-29-1301081255

- in US, not many cases but because there are not enough testing kits ! worse, they send the samples from California or Illinois to Atlanta for testing !!! WTF !!!!

https://mobile.twitter.com/trvrb/status/1233970271318503426

- Here is one fact that i digged and should make all of us ponder
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_coronavirus_outbreak

The 1st death in Wuhan is from Jan 9th, the second Jan 16th, the lockdown / quarantines started on Jan 23rd, 1 week after the 2nd death.

I think we can start the countdown. If we take more than 1 week after the 2nd death (more than 2 deaths already in quite a few countries) to quarantine, the end result will be WORSE than in Wuhan.

Please understand than 1 week of waiting can mean the number of infected people can get one more zero, 2 weeks mean 2 more zeros and so on...

Its really a matter of life and death not only of people but entire nations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/...tion=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage
Early estimates of the coronavirus death rate from Wuhan, China, the epicenter of the outbreak, have been around 2 percent. But a new report on 1,099 cases from many parts of China, published on Friday in The New England Journal of Medicine, finds a lower rate: 1.4 percent.

The coronavirus death rate may be even lower, if — as most experts suspect — there are many mild or symptom-free cases that have not been detected.

The true death rate could turn out to be similar to that of a severe seasonal flu, below 1 percent, according to an editorial published in the journal by Dr. Anthony S. Fauci and Dr. H. Clifford Lane, of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, and Dr. Robert R. Redfield, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
the main threat of Coronavirus is not its mortality rate, its how much its spreading. 1% victims out of 1,000,000 or 1,000,000,000 is not the same
That's right. Problems will come from too many patients and not enough hospital beds. That's why it's important for everyone to do their best to slow the spread as much as possible. The good news -- that the virus causes minor or no symptoms in most people -- makes it more difficult to contain.

the main threat of Coronavirus is not its mortality rate, its how much its spreading. 1% victims out of 1,000,000 or 1,000,000,000 is not the same

Again - think about that - Every Year 1,000,000,000 get the "ordinary" seasonal flu and Every year 600,000 die of flu.
I've already said that the new corona virus has been out there for a much longer time, but has not been identified. To identify something you must focus on the problem and search the reasons. The symptoms of the new corona virus are the same as the usual flu and it occured during the seasonal flu action. We will never know the acrual statistics of that virus because its impossible. But I'm absolutely sure that the problems the virus itself will cause would be not greater than the ordinary flu.
The panic of the unknown is causing the problems.
The key is to act clever and with care, and to know that its not only the authorirties to be responsible, its every single one.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well, I am someone who likes to look at the bright side when possible. This is something that we need to be diligent about. Washing hands. Covering face when coughing. Not putting hands in face after touching unclean surfaces.

But, hopefully, at some point, there will be drugs that work on COVID-19 to make it so that, when there are severe cases, more survive. And hopefully, at some point over the next year and a half, there are vaccinations that work as well.

That is one of the reasons people are not as freaked out about the flu. They have vaccinations you can take for the flu each year. At some point we will have that for this as well.

But, I don't blame the people who want to go out into the woods and go "underground" until this passes. Especially if those are older folks who would be more susceptible to the worse kinds of cases of this. I will hope that this will "disappear like a miracle," as the Orange Crazy Person has said. But I think taking precautions makes sense.

And if this doesn't dissipate somewhat soon, it would make sense to me if something like the Olympics were cancelled.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
@langel
that could be a reasonable explanation but it doesn't match facts. Coronavirus is not a new thing. But the current strain of coronavirus is unique, it's different genome, with some unique properties which make it a much more dangerous thing than anything seen.

It is also true that by fighting the coronavirus, and do basic things like washing hands , wearing masks etc... one is also fighting regular flu as well. Thats a silver lining, if we can survive the epidemic, if we keep the good habits, we will be less exposed to corona and other flu viruses next time.

now here are some new facts from Korea about infected people, and they may be a surprise for a lot of you

Women : 2197(62.3%) men :1329(37.7%)
Under 10 : 27
10s : 137
20s:1054
30s :426
40s:521
50s:687
60s:453
70s: 158
more than and equal 80: 63

There are much more young people infected than you would think. I can't really explain why women are more infected than men. Because they are the ones doing shopping ? or that weird sect attracted mainly females ?

@Carl
sure we will find drugs against this virus. Some doctors already suggest that some existing drugs are already effective. The problem is we have enough of these drugs to treat 10,000s not millions. And its not sure those are 100% effective or prevent re-infection, and they probably have very important side effects as well. We don't understand everything about this virus yet. It will probably take 1 or 2 years to develop a satisfying treatment. In the meanwhile many can fall victim to the virus.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
How old did people get 100/200 years ago with traditional medicine?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Sodium Bicarbonate dissolves and is a weak base. It will increase the pH of your blood a little. My mother used to mix a teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate in a glass of water for me when I had an upset stomach. There is also some hint that it is good for neutralizing acid build up in muscles when doing anaerobic exercising.

Basically ( pun ) sodium bicarbonate is a weak base that is buffered.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicarbonate_buffer_system
https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-11325/sodium-bicarbonate-oral/details
I see nothing about removing toxins. Let alone a virus.
Still, sodium bicarbonate, baking soda, is good stuff to have around.

I learned about this in high school chemistry class.

Sodiumbicarbonate doesn't remove toxins. Toxins are mostly removed by fluid loss (sweat, blood etc) and by chelators (e.g. adding cilantro to a fish meal to chelate its mercury or turmeric for iron etc)

Bakingsoda is indeed a ph buffer and some athletes load up on it to increase endurance, by taking small amounts many times a day. The increases in CO2 and alkalinity allow for better oxygenation of the body. Pathogens have a hard time to reproduce in such an environment.

For those who are into antiaging, higher levels of CO2 equate to higher levels of mitochondrial uncoupling and lower production of ROS.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
@langel
that could be a reasonable explanation but it doesn't match facts. Coronavirus is not a new thing. But the current strain of coronavirus is unique, it's different genome, with some unique properties which make it a much more dangerous thing than anything seen.

It is also true that by fighting the coronavirus, and do basic things like washing hands , wearing masks etc... one is also fighting regular flu as well. Thats a silver lining, if we can survive the epidemic, if we keep the good habits, we will be less exposed to corona and other flu viruses next time.

now here are some new facts from Korea about infected people, and they may be a surprise for a lot of you

Women : 2197(62.3%) men :1329(37.7%)
Under 10 : 27
10s : 137
20s:1054
30s :426
40s:521
50s:687
60s:453
70s: 158
more than and equal 80: 63

There are much more young people infected than you would think. I can't really explain why women are more infected than men. Because they are the ones doing shopping ? or that weird sect attracted mainly females ?

@Carl
sure we will find drugs against this virus. Some doctors already suggest that some existing drugs are already effective. The problem is we have enough of these drugs to treat 10,000s not millions. And its not sure those are 100% effective or prevent re-infection, and they probably have very important side effects as well. We don't understand everything about this virus yet. It will probably take 1 or 2 years to develop a satisfying treatment. In the meanwhile many can fall victim to the virus.

Although the sample size is relatively small, these statistics are quite peculiar. A possible explanation about more women being infected is their different hormonal make-up. Kids and teens are normally well protected by their progesterone to estrogen ratios. When estrogen cycles become more pronounced, women might be more succeptable.
However, reading other stats, men seem to have a 50% higher deathrate, when it comes to coronavirus infections. My hunch here is that because there are much more TH2 dominant men than women, they are more prone to respiratory problems.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=29378942

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/...tion=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage
Early estimates of the coronavirus death rate from Wuhan, China, the epicenter of the outbreak, have been around 2 percent. But a new report on 1,099 cases from many parts of China, published on Friday in The New England Journal of Medicine, finds a lower rate: 1.4 percent.

The coronavirus death rate may be even lower, if — as most experts suspect — there are many mild or symptom-free cases that have not been detected.

The true death rate could turn out to be similar to that of a severe seasonal flu, below 1 percent, according to an editorial published in the journal by Dr. Anthony S. Fauci and Dr. H. Clifford Lane, of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, and Dr. Robert R. Redfield, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

These people are actual experts on viral epidemiology. Fauci has been head of that NIH institute for a long time and is one if the worlds experts on the HIV virus and virology in general. NEJM is a rigorously reviewed source.

Keep in mind though that 18 to 20% of cases in China have led to viral pneumonia, maybe as many as 3 or 4% requiring critical care (being placed on a ventillator) and survival of critical cases is a coin toss. This is a bad virus even for people who survive.

Wash your hands. Dont shake hands. Buy a thermometer. If you have a fever AND are having any shortness of breath, along with lower respiratory infection indications, call local hospital first so they can take take precautions, and then go. Dontt take public transport to get there.

One other thing. If someone who claims to be a healthcare worker says that an increase in blood CO2 means your blood is alkaline, run away screaming. A quick search for the terms "respiratory acidosis" or "CO2 acid base physiology" will reveal why.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
These people are actual experts on viral epidemiology. Fauci has been head of that NIH institute for a long time and is one if the worlds experts on the HIV virus and virology in general. NEJM is a rigorously reviewed source.

Keep in mind though that 18 to 20% of cases in China have led to viral pneumonia, maybe as many as 3 or 4% requiring critical care (being placed on a ventillator) and survival of critical cases is a coin toss. This is a bad virus even for people who survive.

Wash your hands. Dont shake hands. Buy a thermometer. If you have a fever AND are having any shortness of breath, along with lower respiratory infection indications, call local hospital first so they can take take precautions, and then go. Dontt take public transport to get there.

One other thing. If someone who claims to be a healthcare worker says that an increase in blood CO2 means your blood is alkaline, run away screaming. A quick search for the terms "respiratory acidosis" or "CO2 acid base physiology" will reveal why.

Don't put words in my mouth, my friend. I never said go and breathe exessive CO2 (respiratory acidosis). Acidosis basically refers to overdose of acid(idity). Indeed CO2 can cause acidosis because it is acidic. However sodium is alkalizing (sodium bicarbonate).
One could even OD on spinach if trying hard enough. Keto-acidosis is one form of acidosis to be truely mindful of, since it can happen within the lines of a broadly accepted diet.
A reasonable overview on CO2 can be obtained here (please read before pointing fingers)
https://www.functionalps.com/blog/2...on-carbon-dioxide-longevity-and-regeneration/

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Some moron wrote this:

"For the same reason, cancer grows slower on higher altitude, as the body automatically retains more co2."

I leave it to the reader as an exercise to figure out why this statement is false. Hint, the body changes respiratory rate in response to hypoxia.

I have cured papilloma and cancer with small amounts of bicarbonate (with acv). Why would corona stand a chance?

No you haven't but for fun let's imagine that you did. The logic is moronic. I cured disease A with treatment X. Therefore treatment X must work on disease B (even if it is completely distinct disease with completely different underlying mechanisms). Disease B "wouldn't stand a chance", like it's a boxing match or something?

But why not teach them the proper way to keep cells acidic/blood alkaline?

The things I wrote about acid-base physiology have been known for almost a century. Not suspected. Not theorized about. Known. Studied extensively. Thousands and thousands of scientific and clinical studies. Experiments on high altitude physiology, respiratory physiology, kidney physiology, blood biochemistry and on and on. They form the basis for large percentages of respiratory, renal, and critical care medicine. You can find this stuff in undergraduate texts. If medical students don't learn this they fail their Step 1 board exams in the US and never become doctors. It is taught in the first year (by me, among thousands of other people all over the world). It is also taught to nurses, pharmacists, etc. etc. etc.

Fortunately, a few grams of bicarbonate isn't going to hurt you (unless it gives you a false sense of security). It might benefit your indigestion a little (other things work better though like calcium carbonate and magnesium hydroxide). It is certainly not going to change your blood pH (you body has many ways to maintain blood pH at 7.35-7.45 and it easily compensates for a little bit of bicarbonate taken at an oral route). It is not going to cure your cancer. It is not going to protect you from Covid19 or cure you if you acquire the infection.

These are tough times and people need to avoid some of the really crazy stuff that is written by morons. I'm not going to engage anymore on this topic or with this person.

Oh, and there is also this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5958984/

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Reactions: Dr Evil
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
For those interested, "Clinical Characteristics of Coronavirus Disease 2019 in China", co-authored by a group of experts from China and Hong Kong.

Also below is a link to a paper from a few days ago from doctors in Beijing reporting very similar findings. Note again, about 17.6 percent of patients are severely ill, even though statistics suggest most will apparently survive. Even if it doesn't kill you, you really don't want to go through this. Note the very high incidence of fever. Buy a thermometer. If I was king of the world I would postpone or cancel the Olympics.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32112886

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Some moron wrote this:

"For the same reason, cancer grows slower on higher altitude, as the body automatically retains more co2."

I leave it to the reader as an exercise to figure out why this statement is false. Hint, the body changes respiratory rate in response to hypoxia.

I have cured papilloma and cancer with small amounts of bicarbonate (with acv). Why would corona stand a chance?

No you haven't but for fun let's imagine that you did. The logic is moronic. I cured disease A with treatment X. Therefore treatment X must work on disease B (even if it is completely distinct disease with completely different underlying mechanisms). Disease B "wouldn't stand a chance", like it's a boxing match or something?

But why not teach them the proper way to keep cells acidic/blood alkaline?

The things I wrote about acid-base physiology have been known for almost a century. Not suspected. Not theorized about. Known. Studied extensively. Thousands and thousands of scientific and clinical studies. Experiments on high altitude physiology, respiratory physiology, kidney physiology, blood biochemistry and on and on. They form the basis for large percentages of respiratory, renal, and critical care medicine. You can find this stuff in undergraduate texts. If medical students don't learn this they fail their Step 1 board exams in the US and never become doctors. It is taught in the first year (by me, among thousands of other people all over the world). It is also taught to nurses, pharmacists, etc. etc. etc.

Fortunately, a few grams of bicarbonate isn't going to hurt you (unless it gives you a false sense of security). It might benefit your indigestion a little (other things work better though like calcium carbonate and magnesium hydroxide). It is certainly not going to change your blood pH (you body has many ways to maintain blood pH at 7.35-7.45 and it easily compensates for a little bit of bicarbonate taken at an oral route). It is not going to cure your cancer. It is not going to protect you from Covid19 or cure you if you acquire the infection.

These are tough times and people need to avoid some of the really crazy stuff that is written by morons. I'm not going to engage anymore on this topic or with this person.

Oh, and there is also this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5958984/

-This post should be moderated for name calling.
-Despite kindly asking for reading presented evidence and not being disrespectful/un-academic, the reader chooses to disqualify himself from constructive discussion.
-The poster does not assume responsibility for inaccuracies in his accusations.
-The poster presents the idea of respiration rate on altitude as not "automatic" but as a mindful or other non-automatic concept.
-The reader simply argues that one disease is not another without considering that multiple diseases can be metabolic and have similar solutions.
-The reader neglects the statistics on teen and infant mortality related to Coronavirus, representing metabolic character.
-The reader claims certainty on ineffectiveness of sodium-bicarbonate, while many online testimonials prove otherwise, excluding my own experience.
-The reader does not show interest or ask questions about his unknown knowns but upholds traditional medicine as absolutes; "If medical students don't learn this they fail their Step 1 board exams in the US and never become doctors."
-The poster denies presented evidence and presents evidence of relative small scale/narrow results;
cache.php

in case of doubts/interest, one could read into:
[FONT=georgia,times,serif]Fiziol Zh SSSR 1978 Oct;64(10):1456-62. [Role of CO2 fixation in increasing the body's resistance to acute hypoxia]. Baev VI, Vasil'ev VV, Nikolaeva EN. In rats, the phenomenon of considerable increase in resistance to acute hypoxia observed after 2-hour stay under conditions of gradually increasing concentration of CO2, decreasing concentration of O2, and external cooling at 2--3 degrees seems to be based mainly on changes in concentration of CO2 (ACCORDINGLY, PCO2 and other forms of CO2 in the blood). The high resistance to acute hypoxia develops as well after subcutaneous or i.v. administration of 1.0 ml of water solution (169.2 mg/200 g) NaHCO2, (NH4)2SO4, MgSO4, MnSO4, and ZnSO4 (in proportion: 35 : 5 : 2 : 0.15 : 0.15, resp.) or after 1-hour effect of increased hypercapnia and hypoxia without cooling.[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Fiziol Zh Im I M Sechenova 1995 Feb;81(2):47-52. [The unknown physiological role of carbon dioxide]. Baev VI, Vasil'eva IV, L'vov SN, Shugalei IV [The data suggests that carbon dioxide is a natural element of the organism antioxidant defence system. ion poisoning].[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Stroke. 1996 Sep;27(9):1634-9; discussion 1639-40. Differential effects of short-term hypoxia and hypercapnia on N-methyl-D-aspartate-induced cerebral vasodilatation in piglets. Bari F, Errico RA, Louis TM, Busija DW.[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Vojnosanit Pregl. 1996 Jul-Aug;53(4):261-74. [Carbon dioxide inhibits the generation of active forms of oxygen in human and animal cells and the significance of the phenomenon in biology and medicine] [Article in Serbian] Boljevic S, Kogan AH, Gracev SV, Jelisejeva SV, Daniljak IG.[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]J Exp Biol. 1979 Oct;82:357-65. Acid-base relationships in the blood of the toad, Bufo marinus. III. The effects of burrowing. Boutilier RG, Randall DJ, Shelton G, Toews DP.[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Acta Neurobiol Exp (Wars). 2007;67(2):197-206. Role of hypercapnia in brain oxygenation in sleep-disordered breathing. Brzecka A. Adaptive mechanisms may diminish the detrimental effects of recurrent nocturnal hypoxia in obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). The potential role of elevated carbon dioxide (CO2) in improving brain oxygenation in the patients with severe OSA syndrome is discussed. CO2 increases oxygen uptake by its influence on the regulation of alveolar ventilation and ventilation-perfusion matching, facilitates oxygen delivery to the tissues by changing the affinity of oxygen to hemoglobin, and increases cerebral blood flow by effects on arterial blood pressure and on cerebral vessels. Recent clinical studies show improved brain oxygenation when hypoxia is combined with hypercapnia. Anti-inflammatory and protective against organ injury properties of CO2 may also have therapeutic importance. These biological effects of hypercapnia may improve brain oxygenation under hypoxic conditions. This may be especially important in patients with severe OSA syndrome.[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Ageing Res Rev. 2009 Oct;8(4):268-76. Epub 2009 Apr 1. The role of epigenetics in aging and age-related diseases. Calvanese V, Lara E, Kahn A, Fraga MF.[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Rev Esp Geriatr Gerontol. 2009 Jul-Aug;44(4):194-9. Epub 2009 Jul 3. [Effect of restricting amino acids except methionine on mitochondrial oxidative stress.] [Article in Spanish] Caro P, Gómez J, Sánchez I, López-Torres M, Barja G.[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Cell Metab. 2007 Jan;5(1):21-33. A central thermogenic-like mechanism in feeding regulation: an interplay between arcuate nucleus T3 and UCP2. Coppola A, Liu ZW, Andrews ZB, Paradis E, Roy MC, Friedman JM, Ricquier D, Richard D, Horvath TL, Gao XB, Diano S.[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Ter Arkh. 1995;67(3):23-6. [Changes in the sensitivity of leukocytes to the inhibiting effect of CO2 on their generation of active forms of oxygen in bronchial asthma patients] Daniliak IG, Kogan AKh, Sumarokov AV, Bolevich S.[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Cell Metab. 2007 Dec;6(6):497-505. Respiratory uncoupling in skeletal muscle delays death and diminishes age-related disease. Gates AC, Bernal-Mizrachi C, Chinault SL, Feng C, Schneider JG, Coleman T, Malone JP, Townsend RR, Chakravarthy MV, Semenkovich CF.[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Endocr Pract. 2009 Jun 2:1-13. Fibrotic Appearance of Lungs in Severe Hypothyroidism is Reversible with Thyroxine Replacement. George JT, Thow JC, Rodger KA, Mannion R, Jayagopal V.[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]J Bioenerg Biomembr. 2009 Jun;41(3):309-21. Epub 2009 Jul 25. Effect of methionine dietary supplementation on mitochondrial oxygen radical generation and oxidative DNA damage in rat liver and heart. Gomez J, Caro P, Sanchez I, Naudi A, Jove M, Portero-Otin M, Lopez-Torres M, Pamplona R, Barja G.[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996 Jul 23;93(15):7612-7. Increased tricarboxylic acid cycle flux in rat brain during forepaw stimulation detected with 1H[13C]NMR. Hyder F, Chase JR, Behar KL, Mason GF, Siddeek M, Rothman DL, Shulman RG.[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Can J Neurol Sci. 1979 May;6(2):105-12. The effects of partial chronic denervation on forearm metabolism. Karpati G, Klassen G, Tanser P.[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Biull Eksp Biol Med. 1994 Oct;118(10):395-8. [CO2--a natural inhibitor of active oxygen form generation by phagocytes] Kogan AKh, Manuilov BM, Grachev SV, Bolevich S, Tsypin AB, Daniliak IG.[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Izv Akad Nauk Ser Biol. 1997 Mar-Apr;(2):204-17. [Carbon dioxide--a universal inhibitor of the generation of active oxygen forms by cells (deciphering one enigma of evolution)] Kogan AKh, Grachev SV, Eliseeva SV, Bolevich S.[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Vopr Med Khim. 1996 Jul-Sep;42(3):193-202. [Ability of carbon dioxide to inhibit generation of superoxide anion radical in cells and its biomedical role] Kogan AKh, Grachev SV, Eliseeva SV, Bolevich S.[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Dokl Akad Nauk. 1996 May;348(3):413-6. [New evidence for the inhibitory action of CO2 on generation of superoxide anion radicals by phagocytes in various tissues. (Mechanism of bio- and eco-effects of CO2)] Kogan AKh, Grachev SV, Bolevich S, Eliseeva SV.[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Biull Eksp Biol Med. 1996 Apr;121(4):407-10. [Carbon dioxide gas inhibition of active forms of oxygen generation by cells in the internal organs and its biological significance] Kogan AKh, Grachev SV, Eliseeva SV.[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Fiziol Cheloveka. 1995 Jul-Aug;21(4):128-36. [CO2--a natural inhibitor of the generation of active species of oxygen in phagocytes] Kogan AKh, Manuilov BM, Grachev SV, Bolevich S, Tsypin AB, Daniliak IG.[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Patol Fiziol Eksp Ter. 1995 Jul-Sep;(3):34-40. [Comparative study of the effect of carbon dioxide on the generation of active forms of oxygen by leukocytes in health and in bronchial asthma] Kogan AKh, Bolevich S, Daniliak IG.[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Can J Anaesth. 1999 Feb;46(2):185-9. Acute respiratory alkalosis associated with low minute ventilation in a patient with severe hypothyroidism. Lee HT, Levine M. [email protected] PURPOSE: Patients with severe hypothyroidism present unique challenges to anesthesiologists and demonstrate much increased perioperative risks. Overall, they display increased sensitivity to anesthetics, higher incidence of perioperative cardiovascular morbidity, increased risks for postoperative ventilatory failure and other physiological derangements. The previously described physiological basis for the increased incidence of postoperative ventilatory failure in hypothyroid patients includes decreased central and peripheral ventilatory responses to hypercarbia and hypoxia, muscle weakness, depressed central respiratory drive, and resultant alveolar hypoventilation. These ventilatory failures are associated most frequently with severe hypoxia and carbon dioxide (CO2) retention. The purpose of this clinical report is to discuss an interesting and unique anesthetic presentation of a patient with severe hypothyroidism. CLINICAL FEATURES: We describe an unique presentation of ventilatory failure in a 58 yr old man with severe hypothyroidism. He had exceedingly low perioperative respiratory rate (3-4 bpm) and minute ventilation volume, and at the same time developed primary acute respiratory alkalosis and associated hypocarbia (P(ET)CO2 approximately 320-22 mmHg). CONCLUSION: Our patient's ventilatory failure was based on unacceptably low minute ventilation and respiratory rate that was unable to sustain adequate oxygenation. His profoundly lowered basal metabolic rate and decreased CO2 production, resulting probably from severe hypothyroidism, may have resulted in development of acute respiratory alkalosis in spite of concurrently diminished minute ventilation.[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Anal Bioanal Chem. 2008 Jan;390(2):679-88. Epub 2007 Oct 27. The structural modification of DNA nucleosides by nonenzymatic glycation: an in vitro study based on the reactions of glyoxal and methylglyoxal with 2'-deoxyguanosine. Li Y, Cohenford MA, Dutta U, Dain JA.[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Biull Eksp Biol Med. 1995 Jun;119(6):590-3. [Adaptation to high altitude hypoxia facilitates a limitation of lipid peroxidation activation in inflammation and stress] [Article in Russian] Malyshev VV, Vasil'eva LS, Belogorov SB, Nefedova TV.[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2007 Sep;293(3):R1159-68. Epub 2007 Jun 20. Denervation-induced skeletal muscle atrophy is associated with increased mitochondrial ROS production. Muller FL, Song W, Jang YC, Liu Y, Sabia M, Richardson A, Van Remmen H.[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Radiobiologiia. 1984 Jan-Feb;24(1):29-34. [Enzyme activity of glutamic acid metabolism and the Krebs cycle in the brain of rats laser-irradiated against a background of altered adrenoreceptor function] [Article in Russian] Pikulev AT, Dzhugurian NA, Zyrianova TN, Lavrova VM, Mostovnikov VA.[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Rejuvenation Res.2007 Dec12; :18072884, Exploring Overlooked Natural Mitochondria-Rejuvenative Intervention: The Puzzle of Bowhead Whales and Naked Mole Rats. Prokopov A.F.[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Proceedings of the Japan Academy. Ser. B: Physical and Biological Sciences Vol.78, No.10(2002)pp.293-298. DNA methylation and Lamarckian inheritance, Sano H.[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Biol Chem. 2009 Nov;390(11):1145-53. The epigenetic bottleneck of neurodegenerative and psychiatric diseases. Sananbenesi F, Fischer A. The orchestrated expression of genes is essential for the development and survival of every organism. In addition to the role of transcription factors, the availability of genes for transcription is controlled by a series of proteins that regulate epigenetic chromatin remodeling. The two most studied epigenetic phenomena are DNA methylation and histone-tail modifications. Although a large body of literature implicates the deregulation of histone acetylation and DNA methylation with the pathogenesis of cancer, recently epigenetic mechanisms have also gained much attention in the neuroscientific community. In fact, a new field of research is rapidly emerging and there is now accumulating evidence that the molecular machinery that regulates histone acetylation and DNA methylation is intimately involved in synaptic plasticity and is essential for learning and memory. Importantly, dysfunction of epigenetic gene expression in the brain might be involved in neurodegenerative and psychiatric diseases. In particular, it was found that inhibition of histone deacetylases attenuates synaptic and neuronal loss in animal models for various neurodegenerative diseases and improves cognitive function. In this article, we will summarize recent data in the novel field of neuroepigenetics and discuss the question why epigenetic strategies are suitable therapeutic approaches for the treatment of brain diseases.[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Ukr Biokhim Zh 1994 Jan-Feb;66(1):109-12. [Protective effect of sodium bicarbonate in nitrite ion poisoning]. Shugalei IV, L'vov SN, Baev VI, Tselinskii IV[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2000 Mar;161(3 Pt 1):891-8. Modulation of release of reactive oxygen species by the contracting diaphragm. Stofan DA, Callahan LA, DiMarco AF, Nethery DE, Supinski GS.[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Ecology: Vol. 50, No. 3, pp. 492-494. Carbon Dioxide Retention: A Mechanism of Ammonia Tolerance in Mammals. Studier EM and Fresquez AA.[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Sci Signal. 2009 Mar 31;2(64): pe17. Reversing DNA methylation: new insights from neuronal activity-induced Gadd45b in adult neurogenesis. Wu H, Sun YE. Neurogenesis in the adult mammalian brain involves activity-dependent expression of genes critical for the proliferation of progenitors and for neuronal maturation. A recent study suggests that the stress response gene Gadd45b (growth arrest and DNA-damage-inducible protein 45 beta) can be transiently induced by neuronal activity and may promote adult neurogenesis through dynamic DNA demethylation of specific gene promoters in adult hippocampus. These results provide evidence supporting the provocative ideas that active DNA demethylation may occur in postmitotic neurons and that DNA methylation-mediated dynamic epigenetic regulation is involved in regulating long-lasting changes in neural plasticity in mammalian brains.[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Patol Fiziol Eksp Ter. 2005 Apr-Jun;(2):13-5. [The effect of the NMDA-receptor blocker MK-801 on sensitivity of the respiratory system to carbon dioxide] Tarakanov IA, Dymetska A, Tarasova NN.[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Life Sci. 1997;61(5):523-35. Effect of acidotic challenges on local depolarizations evoked by N-methyl-D-aspartate in the rat striatum. Urenjak J, Zilkha E, Gotoh M, Obrenovitch TP. “Hypercapnia reduced NMDA-evoked responses in a concentration-dependent manner, with 7.5 and 15 % CO2 in the breathing mixture reducing the depolarization amplitude to 74 % and 64 % of that of the initial stimuli, respectively. Application of 50 mM NH4+ progressively reduced dialysate pH, and a further acidification was observed when NH4+ was discontinued. Perfusion of NMDA after NH4+ application evoked smaller depolarizations (56 % of the corresponding control, 5 min after NH4+ removal), and this effect persisted for over 1 h.” “Together, these results demonstrate that extracellular acidosis, such as that associated with excessive neuronal activation or ischemia, inhibits NMDA-evoked responses in vivo.”[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Arch Int Physiol Biochim. 1977 Apr;85(2):295-304. Glutamate and glutamine in the brain of the neonatal rat during hypercapnia. Van Leuven F, Weyne J, Leusen I.[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Pediatrics 1995 Jun;95(6):868-874. Carbon dioxide protects the perinatal brain from hypoxic-ischemic damage: an experimental study in the immature rat. Vannucci RC, Towfighi J, Heitjan DF, Brucklacher RM[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Pediatr Res 1997 Jul;42(1):24-29. Effect of carbon dioxide on cerebral metabolism during hypoxia-ischemia in the immature rat. Vannucci RC, Brucklacher RM, Vannucci SJ[/FONT][FONT=georgia,times,serif]Sci. Signal., 31 March 2009 Vol. 2, Issue 64, p. pe17, Reversing DNA Methylation: New Insights from Neuronal Activity-Induced Gadd45b in Adult Neurogenesis Wu H, Sun YI.

[/FONT]

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
When bicarbonate levels in blood rise blood pCO2 falls. CO2 is often called volatile acid. A rise in blood CO2 is an acidosis.

This is very elementary. This is the thing you dont understand. From the start it is the thing you have been getting backwards.

pH = 6.1 + log ( [HCO3]/ [.03 x pCO2])

Also if you take bicarbonate orally in something less than massive toxic doses your blood bicarbonate won't change. Your body will not absorb much of excess and will allow the rest of the excess to pass into the urine.

The papers you cited on CO2 are certainly all legitimate studies but are beside the point in light of your failure to grasp this fundamental concept.

So I stand by everything I wrote. You need to be ignored. Your anecdotes are worthless. You imagine you "cured" someone's cancer with bicarbonate. This means I am on a TT forum arguing with a crazy person about my area of professional expertise. I'm definitely going to stop now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.