Caronavirus & Tokyo 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Vaccine research has a big head start because of work done on related viruses like the ones that cause SARS and MERS. That's great news, but still we're unlikely to have a widely available vaccine before the end of this year or more likely months into next year. It's not impossible we'll have something sooner, given the unprecedented resources that are coming on line, but we shouldn't expect it. Better chance for some effective antiviral medications to be identified in the next six months. There's also some promising research on temporary immune modulation using monoclonal antibodies.

Right now we should be sufficiently worried about the coming weeks and months (good explanation why in the linked video). Washing hands, social distancing and other reasonable precautions should be taken seriously.

This is an excellent post. I am fan of 3 blue, one brown. The key point is the inflection point. Note that China claims that the number of infected is dropping. This would mean the inflection point is reached. However, notice that the number of infect still goes up way beyond the time the inflection point is reached.

The 3 blue, one brown video did not address what would happen if 10% of the infected die.
Modeling this pandemic requires a few differential equations that must be solved simultaneously.

Who ever says they have this under control is a liar.

I am p!$$ed. I am 66 and I know I will get the Wuhan virus soon or later. Hopefully there is a vaccine before I get it.

This user has no status.
its difficult to make any predictions because there are so many moving factors. the whole thing might be over in 3 months time as the virus dies off by itself or mutates into something benign... or it can become the 21st century spanish flu scale thing...it can die temporarily to reappear months later etc...

We can only act with available information. What is 100% sure is that stuff is extremely contagious and more deadly than the flu, especially for weakened people, but that serious containment measures like in China do work and the only reasonable thing to do is to assume the worst and thus we should adopt those quarantine measures to avoid or at least slow the spreading of the virus

I'm not even sure China is out of the woods. They may get a 2nd wave, especially if they let travellers from all around the world in their country again.... They won a battle, not the war

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
TOKYO (AFP) - Cancelling the 2020 Olympics is "unthinkable", although the classification of the coronavirus as a pandemic will likely have some impact on the Games, the Tokyo city governor said on Thursday (March 12)."It can't be said that the announcement of a pandemic would have no impact... But I think cancellation is unthinkable," Ms Yuriko Koike told reporters.Doubts are increasingly being raised over whether the Olympics can be held as scheduled from July 24 to Aug 9.

Organisers have insisted the Games will go ahead as planned and the International Olympic Committee (IOC), with whom the final decision rests, has said there has not yet been any talk of cancellation or postponement.The IOC has said it will coordinate closely with the World Health Organisation, which has now officially classified the outbreak as a pandemic.But coronavirus has already taken a huge toll on sport across the globe.

US basketball was the latest sport to be hit, as the NBA said it would suspend play starting on Thursday after a Utah Jazz player preliminarily tested positive for Covid-19.

Source: https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/e...HiU8KQi2RK7h-THcIQciUhTFiw#Echobox=1583986091

Tokyo: YOU WILL NOT TAKE THIS AWAY FROM US!

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Kyoukou toppa!

jpvocab2544-n1s.jpg

jpvocab1907-n1s.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
[h=1]Emergency meeting called in view of COVID-19[/h]
12 Mar 2020
The ITTF Executive Committee will hold an emergency meeting on Monday 16th March to discuss the upcoming event schedule.

Announcements will be made regarding upcoming ITTF events and activities when the ITTF Executive Committee holds an emergency meeting on Monday 16th March between 10:00 and 12:00 GMT.

With the spread of COVID-19 across different parts of the world, the ITTF is prioritising the health and safety of all players, officials and fans.

This has already led to decisions to postpone the Hana Bank 2020 World Team Table Tennis Championships and the ITTF World Tour Platinum Japan Open.

Further updates will be announced following Monday’s meeting.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
[h=1]Emergency meeting called in view of COVID-19[/h]
12 Mar 2020
The ITTF Executive Committee will hold an emergency meeting on Monday 16th March to discuss the upcoming event schedule.

Announcements will be made regarding upcoming ITTF events and activities when the ITTF Executive Committee holds an emergency meeting on Monday 16th March between 10:00 and 12:00 GMT.

With the spread of COVID-19 across different parts of the world, the ITTF is prioritising the health and safety of all players, officials and fans.

This has already led to decisions to postpone the Hana Bank 2020 World Team Table Tennis Championships and the ITTF World Tour Platinum Japan Open.

Further updates will be announced following Monday’s meeting.

I wonder if ITTF has power to stop Olympics, Table Tennis events anyway

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
ITTF may not be able to ... But there are many other sports at the Olympics ... If other federations decide not to go to Tokyo, then .....

Excellent session today, couldn't try the Corona, hope she wouldn't try me /call her "she" coz she's a f***ing hore/.
Here the epidemic is exponentially growing.
Still no panic and no deficites of goods in the shops, but in the biggest shops there is a shortage of cashers. I asume that many of them, having to work with thousands of customers, decided to quit.
The good thing is that Bulgarians are still permitted to visit the USA, and thats more than refreshing.
Tomorrow will try to have a haircut, not sure shall I find a not paniced stylist.
Have a good nightq will report tomorrow.

p.p. - mind your night style according to the WHO standards ;)

cache.php

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I heard that the peak of the epidemic is expected in september.
Too bad for all great events in all spheres.

Do you have a source? That suggest the inflection point will come to pass rather sooner than later, and that presently does not look entirely plausible.

FWIW, closed my club until further notice today, suspended the regional competition, cancelled a bunch of upcoming events, and participated in regional coördination advising all sports organisations to act similar. Depressing, but still the lesser of evils.

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
its difficult to make any predictions because there are so many moving factors. the whole thing might be over in 3 months time as the virus dies off by itself or mutates into something benign... or it can become the 21st century spanish flu scale thing...it can die temporarily to reappear months later etc...

We can only act with available information. What is 100% sure is that stuff is extremely contagious and more deadly than the flu, especially for weakened people, but that serious containment measures like in China do work and the only reasonable thing to do is to assume the worst and thus we should adopt those quarantine measures to avoid or at least slow the spreading of the virus

I'm not even sure China is out of the woods. They may get a 2nd wave, especially if they let travellers from all around the world in their country again.... They won a battle, not the war

I have a colleague here in Houston named Peter Hotez, who is one of the world's authorities on infectious disease epidemiology. He has emphasized exactly what you wrote. This is an entirely new virus (for humans anyway) so we don't know how it is going to behave. We don't know if it will be seasonal and how it will behave in the northern hemisphere once it gets hot. We don't know if it will disappear forever at some point or if it will linger and periodically re-emerge with severe consequences. We don't know if it will behave like SARS or not, even though it is in the same family of viruses. So as you say, China seems to be getting better, but we simply don't know if that will be sustained.

One thing for sure, though, is at least in the US it is just getting started. It is going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better.

Social containment and not aggregating in groups is the ONLY way we have to fight this thing. And remember, you could be barely affected and spread it to someone who will end up in an ICU. Or worse.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
I have a colleague here in Houston named Peter Hotez, who is one of the world's authorities on infectious disease epidemiology. He has emphasized exactly what you wrote. This is an entirely new virus (for humans anyway) so we don't know how it is going to behave. We don't know if it will be seasonal and how it will behave in the northern hemisphere once it gets hot. We don't know if it will disappear forever at some point or if it will linger and periodically re-emerge with severe consequences. We don't know if it will behave like SARS or not, even though it is in the same family of viruses. So as you say, China seems to be getting better, but we simply don't know if that will be sustained.

One thing for sure, though, is at least in the US it is just getting started. It is going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better.

Social containment and not aggregating in groups is the ONLY way we have to fight this thing. And remember, you could be barely affected and spread it to someone who will end up in an ICU. Or worse.

An estimated 1 million foreign visitors will converge on Tokyo for 2 weeks in tightly clustered groups of close contacts. They’ll be packed into enclosed areas in extremely high concentrations. Public transportation like trains and subways use are encouraged during the event. After this cultural+ exchange, they then will return home to ALL parts of the world.
Wonder which country will win gold for the highest spread/infection of the virus?
Prevention must be the priority over potential monetary loss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.